Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual Units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual Units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual Units - 4/1/2012 3:57:25 PM   
rfrizz

I'm unclear on this part of the game. Can someone set me straight on this?

According to the manual, these are only for the entire force. But I have to ask: If this is the case, then why are they available when you select an individual unit, and why do they show when you click on an individual unit and its task? Even if you click on a unit (and its task) that is NOT under your direct command, this information is displayed.

Jeeeez. Details details details. What's someone like me with obsessive-compulsive tendencies to do?

I guess play more, and buy the add-on HTTR?
Post #: 1
RE: Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual ... - 4/2/2012 2:29:45 AM   
Arjuna

Let me try and clarify. The settings for frontage, depth and facing pertain to the order only. So when you issue an order and set these the setting applies to all forces assigned to that order/task. These settings carry on down through the plan ( as a general rule ). However, within the plan, some units may be given other types of tasks to perform and so may not copy the settings. Eg. In an attack you might set the frontage to 1000m and the formation type to say line. But for those units assigned to the reserve task, this would be inappropriate and so they will use their own assessment of what is best and will probably defend at the reserve loc in all round defence or Vee on a standard frontage.

Further in this attack example you may have three units in the assault and so the 1000m frontage will be divided amongst them according to their pro rata share of the total assault force. Eg you may have one line company with 150 men, another with 75 and third with 70. The one with 150 will usually be assigned a frontage of half the 1000m set in your order.

Having said all that, you need to be aware that individual frontage, depth and facing can vary from the order setting for other reasons. Eg if the unit is moving in road coulmn to the FUP it will do so on the standard 20m frontage of road column rather than the 100m which is assumed to apply tot he assault task. If that unit retreats, then it may go into all round defence temporarily and use a 300 x 300 frontage/depth. An arty unit firing may also change its frontage and depth. Unit facing also changes according to the enemy threat but only for units not already deployed or dug in.

Does that help?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to rfrizz)
Post #: 2
RE: Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual ... - 4/2/2012 8:56:50 AM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Further in this attack example you may have three units in the assault and so the 1000m frontage will be divided amongst them according to their pro rata share of the total assault force. Eg you may have one line company with 150 men, another with 75 and third with 70. The one with 150 will usually be assigned a frontage of half the 1000m set in your order.

Hm...that somehow sounds working against the "Schwerpunkt" (point of gravity/main effort) concept. Off course with the given "example" of 1000m frontage for a ~300men Btl., the acting commander already made some fault assigning a small force to such a wide frontage. Comparing to german WW2 assault concepts, the Btl. commander wouldn´t spread and likely spares some of the frontage of available forces, but rather concentrate the strongest part to the smallest sector (Schwerpunkt) and use weaker units (the understrenght Cpys) as supporting/pinning forces.

Maybe that´s part of doctrines that should be taken care of for the EF module. :)

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual ... - 4/2/2012 2:10:45 PM   
Arjuna

Of course a 300 man force would not assault on a 1000m frontage as a norm. I only used that figure because it was a nice round number for my example.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Formation, Frontage, Depth & Facing for Individual Units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI