Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Road Congestion & Supply Logistics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Road Congestion & Supply Logistics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Road Congestion & Supply Logistics - 4/1/2012 3:35:08 PM   
rfrizz

Oh great Arjuna:

This is the first of a few questions

Could you discuss road and other congestion and how it is modeled?

I try to avoid having stationary units on roads by adjusting facing, depth, and frontage so that they do not overlap roads.

An example (let's use Return to St. Vith) would be bringing supply units to the north, either just south of the Steinebruck Bridge, or even east of Lommersweiler.

I don't want them interfering progress of units which are passing through.

Does this matter?

One other IMPORTANT thing: For the be benefit of readers new to wargames, a basic truth of supply is the advantage of having the supply center closer to the units being supplied. The farther trucks have to travel to their destination, the worse it is, and you need more trucks to do the same job.

This is as true for a shipping business as it is for a military supply operation. The more distance you have, the more time your trucks are on the road instead of loading and unloading supplies.

Does the Command Ops code take this into account?
Post #: 1
RE: Road Congestion & Supply Logistics - 4/1/2012 8:00:10 PM   
Lieste

Yes... you should bring the forward echelon supplies as far forward as possible - but not so far as to compromise security. This can be tricky when you are attempting to supply two flanks with intermixed troops - here it is better to position the supply depot farther to the rear, or to re-arrange your troops' physical locations overnight to simplify the supply routing so that all supported elements from one depot are in a similar area of the line, and are directly accessible from their rear.
You should then ensure that divisional supply units are suitably placed on the road network to distribute supply on safe routes to the forward echelon supply units, and to divisional troops, with the artillery (the major consumers) placed near to the supply units.

Improving the survivability of supply is important, and it is worth accepting a sometimes longer or slower route from SEP to the front line to protect capacity over a longer scenario.

Compared to unit movements, the supply columns are mostly very small. There is code that calculates the impact of two units on each other's movement, but AFAIK it isn't applied to supply columns (as opposed to supply units when on the move), and as it stands would probably have little effect anyway because of the low vehicle count for each column - most are 1-4 vehicles - only with depot re-supply or artillery/armour re-supply runs will you routinely see more than this handful of vehicles in a single dispatched column.

(in reply to rfrizz)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Road Congestion & Supply Logistics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI