Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Survivor tells... about internment... WWII"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" - 3/29/2012 7:02:46 PM   
witpqs

Newspaper article:

Survivor tells Prescott students about internment camp life during WWII

< Message edited by witpqs -- 3/29/2012 7:03:42 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: "Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" - 3/30/2012 6:04:21 AM   
CRations

and meanwhile, back in America...

http://americanhistory.about.com/cs/worldwarii/a/internment.htm

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2
RE: "Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" - 3/30/2012 9:03:58 AM   
ilovestrategy

It was an ugly time.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to CRations)
Post #: 3
RE: "Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" - 3/30/2012 9:56:35 AM   
Feinder

Interesting article about the Indonesian camp. I have read several accounts about the ones in the Phillipines regarding the US civilians, and some about the conditions in Singapore during the occupation. But hadn't seen much else.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: "Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" - 3/30/2012 8:52:52 PM   
Jaroen

It is part of Dutch WW2 history (and heritage) together with the German occupation of The Netherlands, the Anne Frank story (= Dutch weak resistance against German persecution of Jews) and many more WW2 related history.

For an excellent (military) history on the Dutch East Indies during '41/'42 please try:
http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/index.html

Also realise that the end of the war story from Ronny Herman (see related article by the OP), the part relaying the killings by Indonesion freedom fighters, opens up a sore spot on the Dutch territorial crest; the repression of the Indonesian people, and the nasty fight against those 'rebels' right after the war. There was a reason those returning Dutch were sometimes murdered! It starts with Great Brittain occupying the whole Dutch East Indies after the war when there was no Dutch occupation force serving the role. Right after GB offered India far going liberties it 'had to' serve as an occupation force while the Dutch were managing the required manpower. The English were glad to leave!

See wikipedia articla for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_National_Revolution

For the Dutch this whole colonial history ended with loosing all territory in the East to the Indonesian Republic with the New Guinea affair closing it.

All in all not something to be proud of being Dutch . . .

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> "Survivor tells... about internment... WWII" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI