What are the improvements?

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
milkweg

What are the improvements?

Post by milkweg »

I already own Kharkov in this series and am wondering what improvements Operation Star has over Kharkov. I don't want to buy the same game twice just for a different area of operations.
wodin

RE: What are the improvements?

Post by wodin »

Huge changes to the strat layer (esp after the latest patches). Far more commands in tactical layer Like Recon, Hunt,Attack,Assault.

Best way is to try the latest demo as the changes really need to be seen rather than explained.

A big improvement over the first.

As for the interface, I've explained already on here it's no where near as awkward to use as people make out. Follow my quick simple advice and your away.
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

In addition to the improvements over AP:K that wodin describes, APOS is stand-alone and includes the original scenarios from AP:K and there are a couple of added campaign scenarios covering Operation Star, which was the initial attack by the Soviets in January 1943 that led to the 3rd Battle of Kharkov covered by the original game. APOS adds some new vehicles such as the Tiger and KV-1 and some lend-lease stuff like the Matilda II, Stuart, and Carrier. There are also two DLC packs that as far as I know have to be applied to Operation Star and cannot be used with AP:K. One is Sokolovo 1943 which is basically new maps & scenarios in the same AO and the other is Volokonovka 1942 which takes the series in a new direction back into 1942 during the summer and adds the PzJag I and I think another version of the Marder to the inventory. I think Volokonovka is $14.99 and the other is $6.99. Both are at Gamersgate, not sure if Matrix is planning on marketing those as well but I would bet that they will sooner or later. I've been having a blast (literally) with the 1942 scenarios and I don't feel nearly as cold as I do when playing the winter scenarios.
apd1004
wodin

Post by wodin »

Been playing again today. I really do feel sorry for those who can't play this due to the interface. Yes something you need to mentally work out like the Stats screen etc and some commands, however like I said all you need to know is select by platoons and spacebar. That will get you started you can then start playing with the formations etc and just play around with the different icons, I always make sure in the options command radius is show as well as damage in tactical.

The first thing you need to do is go through ALL the settings before you play.

It's just an amazing wargame. What other game can you give a platoon an assault commands and they then do fire and movement within the platoon all by themselves (not just a split team thing like CM but a few we lie down with covering fire then a few move forward and repeat and spread out abit aswell again unlike CMBN that really needs to learn something about formations etc.

I have found the AI likes to flank (often) which seems to be a weakness here in some respects CMBN with a great scenario designer can make the AI heads and shoulders above APOS, however thats not to say it's useless, far from it. The AI within your platoons is great (better than any other game I've seen) but on a bigger scale seems to do the smae thing to much.

I keep making references to CMBN and I shouldn't as really they are very different games, yet APOS comes closer to any other RTS looking game to a true wargame.

I enjoyed APk42 and championed it when it came out. APOS is a leap forward. Could it be better? of course, all games can, does sit take a degree to suss the UI out? No, abit of time maybe at times working something out which I feel is due to them be Russians and lacking in English description. However follow my tips you will have the basics to play, then take it from there.

I think you have to willing to spend abit of time with it but it is worth it. The UI does become easy, and then you can enjoy it.

However if your impatient, or want a game to be totally self explanatory in all areas otherwise it's a no go then don't bother. However I honestly feel if it takes 20 mins to learn the interface you'll love it. If your no willing again don't but it. I really don't want loads of comeback about how I got them to buy it and it's beyond them.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

OK, thanks. So it is the same game with a couple more campaigns and some GUI improvements. I'll wait for a 50% off sale or more at GG because I am not rewarding companies with my money for a glorified patch. I remember the difference between EU and EUII was very miniscule and they had the gall to sell it as a new game when it was no such thing. That is not going to happen again. The changes do not warrant $30.00 of my money. $15.00, maybe.

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”