My mini review

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

Fred98

My mini review

Post by Fred98 »

With the patch now available I am posting this all over the wargaming world

This is a very basic classic style hex based wargame.

DETAILS

The game is very simple. It is a joy to play a simple game!

A very cheap wargame.

Small file so that the download is very quick.

Turn based hex based wargame

Opponents: AI, PBEM, Hotseat

The AI is very good because the game is simple.

Requires Low system specs: I run the game on my netbook.

There are 42 scenarios
The scenarios are set on the Western front, Eastern front, North Africa, Italy and the Pacific.

The scenarios range in size from 7 turns to 60 turns.

Some are listed below.

The units are mostly company sized (3 platoons). Some units are only 2 platoons or one platoon in strength.

Each green spot on the counter represents one platoon. Note the number of green spots on the next screen shot

Each hex is about 500 meters across. The map sizes of the different scenarios range from 30 X 25 hexes up to 100 x 75 hexes.

There are 3 zoom levels

COMMAND

It is called “Combat Command” due to the way the command system works. In the next screenshot, I have set up a scenario. Four US units are about to attack a German unit.

Note that 2 of the US units are from one regiment and the other 2 are from a second regiment.

Let’s assume their attack values total 200 points and the defense value is 50. In a traditional wargame you would attack at odds of 4-1.

The US units are under different regimental commanders so, unlike a traditional wargame, you must put in 2 attacks each of 2-1.

Yes you can change the command structure. So, during the turn, you choose to change the command so that all 4 units are now under the same command. In fact it does not happen straight away. The change of command takes effect at the start of the next turn. So the player has a choice:

2 attacks each at 2-1 this turn or one attack at 4-1 the following turn.

In the same manner, artillery can be attached to HQ units and then they too can be included in any attacks.

Notice in the combat screen we have units from both divisions together with their divisional artillery.

Note also the combat dice is a 10 sided dice

In this case we elected to use units of the 2nd Division together with their artillery and some off board air support.

SUPPLY

A unit traces a supply line to its Battalion HQ, which traces supply to its divisional HQ which traces supply to a hex or hexes on the edge of the map.

In a traditional wargame, when a unit crosses a hex, even if the hex is not occupied, the hex now changes its ownership to the side that last crossed it. The opponent cannot draw supply through that hex.

In Combat Command an opponent can still draw supply through that hex. This makes for a very fluid game as units can move back and forth without any great supply concerns.

The only restrictions on supply are that supply cannot be drawn through a hex occupied by an enemy unit, through the ZOC of an enemy unit or across a major river without a bridge.

PHASES.

Each turn is split into phases and each side goes through one phase at a time. Some phases are resolved automatically so that from the players point of view the phases are:

Movement
Direct Fire
Attack Phase
Advance / Withdrawl phase

EDITOR

The scenario editor is very easy to use. Possibly the easiest in wargaming.

The following screen shots are taken from the editor and I feel are self explanatory.

The next screen shot is from the Guadacanal scenario

The next is a portion of the Stalingrad map in the autumn with the units removed from the map

The next is from the Hurtegon Forext

A screen shot from Carentan

And finally one from Bastogne

CONCLUSION

This wargame is inexpensive and very simple. It is a joy to play!

sabre1

RE: My mini review

Post by sabre1 »

That about sums it up. A good review, and thanks for taking the time Joe.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
boatrigm

Post by boatrigm »

Good review! Thxs!
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Bump
tombo

Post by tombo »

bump
mllange

Post by mllange »

bump
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
tombo

Post by tombo »

bump [:D]

Return to “Combat Command Series”