Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand A... - 3/25/2012 8:19:53 AM   
pditty8811

Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/close-combat-last-stand-arnhem-pc-game-review.htm

What do you think?
Post #: 1
RE: Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Sta... - 4/1/2012 3:39:30 AM   
bairdlander

I like the comments,so true,so very true

(in reply to pditty8811)
Post #: 2
RE: Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Sta... - 4/2/2012 1:00:46 PM   
xe5

quote:

but anyone can tell the strategic map wasn’t the main focus, and thus can’t be fairly compared to the popular strategy interfaces of the most renowned strategy games. The bread-and-butter of the Close Combat series was always the tactical map, and this is where most of the player’s time will be spent. Until the developers try to venture outside of their comfort zone, the strategic aspect of these games will remain unimportant and therefore unattractive.

Or, as one Atomic employee put it - the strategic layer is like playing checkers in between games of chess on the tactical maps. So much untapped potential...sigh

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 3
RE: Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Sta... - 4/3/2012 10:29:12 PM   
xe5

quote:

I personally feel that it should be offered for lower price than that of a newly published design. A price of $49.99 for a boxed version from the Matrix Games Website, or $39.99 for a download, seems steep for a remake.
Gamers are going to wait a looong time for half-price sales on the CC re-issues. Lower price points might encourage a new CC audience.

quote:

There is no question the series has made some great classics available again, and it has an outstanding fan base, but in my opinion a game should do more than ride on past success and former glory. I’m saying this because I’m a concerned customer. I’d like to finish by inviting Slitherine/Matrix Games to adventure beyond the frontier, perhaps leading the wargame genre into the realm of cutting-edge graphics and revolutionary ideas.
That 'outstanding fan base' has offered up beaucoup 'revolutionary ideas' over the years. One drawback to 'cutting-edge graphics' is that modmen would need to be cutting-edge artists.

c'est moi ~ N.Buonaparte

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 4
RE: Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Sta... - 4/10/2012 4:01:52 AM   
Platoon_Michael

The overall look of the Strategic Map in this game is "Absolutely HORRIBLE"
It's as if someone had copied a page from a book and made the worst possible resizing experiment to get it to fit on the screen.

Add the UGLY UI Graphics and the Girly Soldiers to that list as well.

With the exception of the Red/Green overlays the Strategic Map in WAR however is very nicely done,so I have to ask.............What happened?

(in reply to xe5)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Armchair General has reviewed Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI