In praise of Shift-Z, but I can't get what Next/Prev Unit does

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

fbs

In praise of Shift-Z, but I can't get what Next/Prev Unit does

Post by fbs »

I just found, hidden down in the hotkey list, the Shift-Z command. This is brilliant - it allows one to find lost units around quite easily. Nicely done, whoever had that idea!

But, I can't figure out how to make Next Unit/Prev Unit ( "." and "," ) to do anything sensible. For example, I select Western Front HQ and press "."; I expect to show the first unit under Western Front; it shows 16th NKVD Brdr Rgt - nice; then I press "." again and it jumps to some random unit in Southwestern Front. I have no idea why! As I keep pressing ".", it jumps around randomly around SW Front then suddenly goes to South Front.

Bottom line is... I have no clue what this thing is doing. Can we make it get the next unit in the same order as the unis are shown in the Order of Battle Screen? That would make this hotkey incredibly useful!

Thanks,
fbs
Joel Billings

RE: In praise of Shift-Z, but I can't get what Next/Prev Unit does

Post by Joel Billings »

IIRC, it goes from left to right, top to bottom looking for units (either that or it goes top to bottom and then left to right using x and y coordinates, I'm not where I can test that out at the moment).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
fbs

Post by fbs »

Ah, I get it now. It goes top to bottom first, then left to right.

I could look at this all day long and wouldn't figure that out, as most movements and unit deployment are East-West, so it is a bit counter-intuitive to scan top to bottom first - also because a top to bottom line snakes through the screen, so by looking at one unit I cannot identify if another unit to the SE or SW is the one on the "bottom" - it will be one for odd lines, the other for even lines. So I won't have much use for this key if it goes top to bottom first.

If it could follow the sequence in the OOB, it would be awesome, as that's the logical organization of one's forces (imho anyway). That with Shift-Z enabled would be a fantastic way to visit each unit under a given HQ.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

It would be very helpful and speed up the game for the noobs like myself for being able to cycle through units following some logical OOB pattern. Though ledger is excellent and everything is there but. [:)]
fbs

Post by fbs »

ORIGINAL: Baris

It would be very helpful and speed up the game for the noobs like myself for being able to cycle through units following some logical OOB pattern. Though ledger is excellent and everything is there but. [:)]

Noobs like me too.

My motto is "Noobs united will not be defeated". That was the motto of the red army in 1941 too.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”