Great News

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
mkjhartmann

Great News

Post by mkjhartmann »

It's great to see this fantastic game on Matrix Games. I hope it gets more exposure this way, as I believe this to be the very best tactical WWII game out there. I really like the strategic layer that then triggers the tactical battles in a real enviornment.

There are also 2 DLCs available and it includes the original Achtung Panzer.

In this game I actually like the real time aspect, as it feels like a fluid battle, and the graphics are decades ahead of Battlefront's newest effort.

I believe there is a demo around, so check it out.

Probably my favorite game of the last few years, and I buy a LOT of games.

Mike
wodin

RE: Great News

Post by wodin »

Graphics are better than CMx2 however CMx2 is more hardcore than APOS. APOS is a superb title that sits nicely between say close combta and CMx2 for wargame grogness (made that word up),
mkjhartmann

Post by mkjhartmann »

For me it is the way the operations interact with the tactical battlefield that really make this game shine. There is no unit delay, such as in Combat Ops, which might produce higher "grogness", but overall it is a superb way to spend an evening.

Mike
mbar

Post by mbar »

ORIGINAL: mkjhartmann

The DLC includes the original AP:Kharkov 1943? Which one?
general_solomon

Post by general_solomon »

glad to see this game finally has a home. I know it will be loved and nurtured here. I hope matrix help gaviteam improve this game. I would love to see more enhancements to the infantry and maps like Stalingrad.
mkjhartmann

Post by mkjhartmann »

I agree a Stalingrad operation would be fantastic. I am glad it is here on Matrix, because I believe that most wargamers know of this site and check on it. Graviteam certainly deserve to get some exposure and income from what is in my opinion a true work of love.

Mike
mkjhartmann

Post by mkjhartmann »

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

glad to see this game finally has a home. I know it will be loved and nurtured here. I hope matrix help gaviteam improve this game. I would love to see more enhancements to the infantry and maps like Stalingrad.

Woops, wrong message answered.
mkjhartmann

Post by mkjhartmann »

ORIGINAL: mbar

ORIGINAL: mkjhartmann

The DLC includes the original AP:Kharkov 1943? Which one?

I have both master games and the two DLCs installed, so I really don't know, but I think it is included in the base Operation Star. Somebody who only owns OS, might want to confirm this, though.

Mike
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

The first game was fantactic! Very happy to see matrix pick this title up.

If only I had the time to play this! [:(]
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

and the graphics are decades ahead of Battlefront's newest effort
[&:] You must be playing a different combat mission than I am then. APOS graphics are ok - but hardly decades ahead. Personally I prefer the graphics in CM as I fing the APOS graphcs a little flavourless and bland as far as the overall effect goes.

Still dont get why people have to resort to utterly ridiculous hyperbole when comparing games.

And as far as a tactical simulation goes - CM is by far the better game in a number of ways.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Would have to agree with the above. There is a lot of atmosphere in the APOS graphics, but they're not better graphics. And there's certainly more glitchy sprite behaviour than in CM. These days the sprites in CM rarely do anything that looks utterly stupid, which is not true of APOS. Plus I would have to query whhat is going on with the AI in APOS, especially with LOS. It seems to me that tanks can spot almost anything at silly distances in good cover from buttoned down positions - to cite but 1 example. You don't get many LOS probs in CM these days. The maps are better in APOS in that they are real world maps, without the angles of CM, but in terms of features that have effect in the game they're no where near as good. Trees seem to be no deterrent to armour - they drive through forests rolling trees around, which is a bit ridiculous. It's a good game to try, though - and I've tried it a lot (bought from GG a while back) - but i do keep coming back to CM these days for a tactical fix.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

The only thing, this game was missing, was advertisement. And now its on the Matrix-page, which is great.
Hopefully more gamers will notice this gem now. I bought it after release and I think, that its worth every cent.[:)]
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Good to see that one available from Matrix now. [8D] That raises chance for a final purchase in the very new future.

Wished APOS would include a WEGO mode and BFC paying more attention on this as well (for CMBN), as I heavily dislike RT for this sort of tactical games. Adding a reasonably good map editor for APOS would be another reason to have it purchased finally.
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
GBS

Post by GBS »

all I can say is that I have CM and all the top Matrix games and when I sit down to play I keep choosing this game. It dominates my gaming time. How can I pay it a higher compliment? Also, I do prefer these graphics to CM.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
wodin

Post by wodin »

Rockin Harry the maps are so big the RTS system is cool with APOS. I detest RTS yet APOS is slow going and really it's not a problem and nowhere near a clickfest. However if they start to introduce more units into the battles which many want I'm afraid APOS for me will be a no go as it will go down the clickfest route.

I agree BF need to give WEGO more love, it has got better since CMSF was first released, however more work needs to be done and I feel they should havedone it with CMBN base game to be honest.
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

I've played some tank-pure quick battles and as far as the real-time goes even when you get a bunch of tanks together in a knife fight, there isn't much clicking going on in APOS once you have orders set. The difference between APOS and other RTS (Men of War for example) is in APOS you can't assign targets so that right there significantly reduces the need to click. There is also no "production". I simply drag a box around a group of units, give them an order such as slow move with cover or fast move or just assign them a sector of fire, and then you basically sit back and watch. You might have to pause to make some quick changes but again the AI handles all the targeting so not much you can do about it. At first the fact that you can't target enemy units was frustrating, but now I have embraced it and find myself using sectors of fire all the time. The AI actually does a fair job at engaging the enemy. You can give target priorities, but that does not guarantee you that your unit will even fire at the priority if it feels threatened by something else. I've played hundreds of hours of CM since day one and the one thing that always irked me about WEGO is the fact that if one of my tanks takes fire 5 seconds into the replay, I have to wait another 55 seconds to do anything about it. Not much you can do anyway to save the tank at that point but at least being able to pause real time immediately and do something makes me feel better. Even when I play CMBN I play it in real time and pause it.

To each is own; one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Cheers
apd1004
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I'm gonna buy this game again just because it's on Matrix games now :)
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”