Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

airplanes and mud

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> airplanes and mud Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
airplanes and mud - 3/22/2012 11:38:48 PM   
AdamRinkleff

Is there a way to edit this so that the airplanes can fly when its muddy, perhaps with a penalty?

< Message edited by AdamRinkleff -- 3/22/2012 11:40:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: airplanes and mud - 3/24/2012 5:25:24 AM   
Ormand

Better yet, how about letting airplanes fly over mud when they take off from a base in an allowed terrain. I believe you can't perform an airstrike in a mud hex when you take off from a normal hex. This is because the movement is based on the hex. Instead, it should be that the planes can't take off.

(in reply to AdamRinkleff)
Post #: 2
RE: airplanes and mud - 3/24/2012 7:28:34 PM   
AdamRinkleff

Yah, this game has a lot of potential if only some of these more annoying issues could be resolved...

(in reply to Ormand)
Post #: 3
RE: airplanes and mud - 3/26/2012 7:16:22 AM   
lion_of_judah

the mudd and snow and other weather is suppose to represent aircraft having difficulties flying in bad weather. you cannot support your troops if their is a blizzard out there or if the runway is muddy and your planes cannot take off.

Post #: 4
RE: airplanes and mud - 4/3/2012 3:30:48 AM   
AdamRinkleff

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah
you cannot support your troops if the runway is muddy and your planes cannot take off.

So, what, during WWII they had -no- concrete runways?

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 5
RE: airplanes and mud - 4/4/2012 8:33:23 AM   
lion_of_judah

world war two was not fought with sticks, they had concrete runways and dirt runways, but their fighters and bombers were not able to fly and provide support in bad weather - hint battle of the bulge first few days german offensive did not have to worry about allied aircraft - why - because of bad weather. only when the skies cleared was the german offensive stalled as was their lack of fuel. so this weather in ATG is its way of doing this......

< Message edited by lion_of_judah -- 4/4/2012 8:34:00 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: airplanes and mud - 4/4/2012 5:31:33 PM   
Kraftwerk

For what its worth, the only consistent concrete runways that were used were in London, Moscow, Berlin, etc.

99.9% of the fighter and light bomber sorties flown during the war, took off from grass fields.

What gets me is kinda the opposite of what gets you guys. I dont see why the fighters and dive bombers need to be stationed at a city or airfield at all. They should be able to take off and land from any plains hex.

War in the East doesnt even bother modeling run ways and airfields. Since everything used on the eastern front, save some soviet heavy bombers, could have their aerodrome be any preexisting grass field that wasnt filled with rocks or mud. And rocks can be removed in a few hours....

(in reply to lion_of_judah)
Post #: 7
RE: airplanes and mud - 4/5/2012 8:08:19 AM   
Ormand

After thinking about it, I see the point regarding a "no-fly" zone. It is meant to model bad weather, not so much the mud really, but that the heavy rain, and planes being socked in. I agree, mud effects as well on airfields. It just irked me some the first time that a plane couldn't take off from clear, and attack a unit in mud. I mean, the trucks are stuck in the mud, and the planes are in the air. But, for there to be mud, there has to be rain, and after all, all-weather capability hadn't been invented yet. Yes, Kraftwerk is correct, most air fields were really fields (look at film from the Battle of Britain). Oddly, airfields were probably more prominent in the pacific theater because they had to be carved out of the jungle. But, I am more or less OK with airfields, etc. Maybe instead of a blanket approach to banning all air operations during mud, etc., one could make an event that places rain in various hexes. This could be done, but would also need some extra terrains. This way, you could also have rain during summer as well. It wouldn't be that hard to do, and would add some flavor.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> airplanes and mud Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI