Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1v1 opponents (im experienced)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> 1v1 opponents (im experienced) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/22/2012 2:13:34 PM   
AdamRinkleff

I am currently still looking for opponents.

Looking for some 1v1 opponents. I can usually manage a turn a day, but you don't need to as I'll just play multiple games if you are too busy. Email me at: arinkleff@gmail.com. Let me know if you have any preferences. I am willing to play beginners, and we can set a handicap.

I'll create a custom random-map game, in which I've made some minor changes. The main custom change I would make is to remove all production points from all cities except for the capitals. I think this makes the game much more balanced since the random map generator isn't always fair in the placement of the lesser cities. Of course, I'll increase the production points in the capital itself.

It'd be cool if we could have a league or something where people play competitively.

==========

I use dropbox, but its not mandatory.

==========

-Adam Rinkleff

< Message edited by AdamRinkleff -- 4/8/2012 11:22:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/22/2012 5:14:01 PM   
hatemf90

I would sign up to this but not really experienced enough and I would probably get run over

(in reply to AdamRinkleff)
Post #: 2
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/22/2012 7:22:09 PM   
Shadehawk

Which is in fact the best way to learn, if your self image can handle the spanking.

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 3
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/22/2012 11:29:36 PM   
AdamRinkleff

Yah I don't mind playing beginners. In fact, we can edit each person's production. So if you want a handicap just give me a percentage and we can play like that. Either I'll win or lose.

========

This is a list of the changes I've made if anyone is interested.
-I have to make these changes everytime there is an update : <

trucks: moststats&cost/2, supplycarry=10, carrycap=10
horses: supplycarry=2, stack=0
alltanks: carrycap=0
armoredcar: stack=1
jeep: stack=1
lighttank: stack=2
medtank: stack=3
tankdestroyer: stack=4
heavytank: stack=4
superheavytank: stack=5
infantry gun: stack=1
AT gun: stack=2
flak: stack=3
artillery: stack=3
heavy artillery: stack=4
halftrack: stack=1
assault gun: stack=3
katushya: stack=3
train: stack=1
jeep: stack=1, supplycarry=12
round: 1dayperturn
capitol: 80'000 production, 4xstructure points
city: 0 production
MTR->productioncanonlyarriveatHQinownhex=yes
BRRAP->roadcost=10
BRRAP->bridgecost=20
RMI->resmodcost=4
ADHS->declarewarcosts=0
cheaperfortification: cost:150/1000/5, structure: 1000
fortification: cost:300/2000/10, structure: 2000
fortress: cost:600/6000/20, structure: 4000
super fortress:900/9000/30, structure: 6000
all special 'theory' techs available

< Message edited by AdamRinkleff -- 3/22/2012 11:47:17 PM >

(in reply to Shadehawk)
Post #: 4
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/24/2012 11:38:35 AM   
hatemf90

Ok since there arent many games around I will join you in a game, I think my self image can handle the spanking

pmed you my email to talk about details.

Post #: 5
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/24/2012 7:16:42 PM   
AdamRinkleff

your email wasn't in the PM?

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 6
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/26/2012 2:27:46 PM   
hatemf90

I just noticed.. the railroad going east from my HQ is not connected at an oil field, tried to connect them with engineers but wouldnt build, are they disabled? that means all the eastern area is cutoff from me except on foot.

Post #: 7
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/26/2012 4:54:01 PM   
AdamRinkleff

engineers are enabled, r builds the roads -- if that's not working, its probably either because you are out of AP (wait for next turn), or out of raw (either wait, or build some). I reduced the cost of building roads by half, so my edits actually should make it easier rather than harder to build roads.

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 8
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 3/26/2012 5:54:34 PM   
hatemf90

yep, out of raw... Im still discovering raw actually

Post #: 9
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/6/2012 6:20:02 AM   
AdamRinkleff

I'm still looking for opponents...

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 10
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/6/2012 6:05:14 PM   
hatemf90

sorry I didnt say anything but i wont be able to do turns for a few dayssince im taking exams... sorry to keep you waiting.

Post #: 11
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/10/2012 9:52:06 AM   
AdamRinkleff

Man, doesn't anyone else play this game?

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 12
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/10/2012 2:26:45 PM   
ernieschwitz

Sorry, already have more on my plate than i can handle at the moment :(

Post #: 13
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/10/2012 3:10:13 PM   
AdamRinkleff

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Sorry, already have more on my plate than i can handle at the moment :(

Yah, I understand. I had too many games at once before, and it was just exhausting. But right now I can't find a single game. I'd play the AI but... meh.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 14
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/10/2012 6:32:06 PM   
Kraftwerk

Im currently in ... jeez 7 games. Otherwise id be down. Though generally I like big FFA or team games.

Post #: 15
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/11/2012 1:46:53 AM   
jreid

Are you interested in a game with the normal rules or does it have to be the modified game that you describe above?

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 16
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/12/2012 2:00:06 AM   
AdamRinkleff

quote:

ORIGINAL: jreid

Are you interested in a game with the normal rules or does it have to be the modified game that you describe above?

I'm willing to debate and adjust the modifications, so they aren't absolute requirements, but I do think most of them are significant improvements.

In particular, I don't really want to play a game where production is just magically transported across the map. I think requiring the use of trains greatly increases the strategic aspects of the game. As for eliminating the production of cities, and focusing everything in the capital, this simply reduces the random unfairness of city placement, and makes the game a much more balanced match. I've played too many games that were decided because one player managed to grab an extra city after the map placed mountains in the way of the other player. This happens in mirror maps, because they aren't actually mirrors (if you look closely, you'll realize that). In addition, this change reduces the excessive micromanagement needed to control numerous cities, and it also forces you to be more strategic when deciding what to produce.

Meanwhile, eliminating the carry capacity of tanks is simply more realistic. Although tanks certainly carried infantry during tactical maneuvers, they never carried infantry for hundreds of kilometers as the standard .at2 allows. After all, this is what trucks, halftracks, and armored cars are for! Although I'm not entirely convinced that my stack changes are perfect, I still think they are an improvement in the right direction, as they allow for much more flexibility in developing units. As someone who studies WWII combat operations at a doctoral level, I think I have some authority in suggesting that my changes increase realism. Likewise, dividing truck capacity and costs by two allows for increased flexibility.

Allowing all nations to use the special units is also an improvement, since these units aren't used very much at all, and now at least they are available. In particular, I find that militia add depth to the game. Similarly, I've made all the tank types available from the very start of the game, which is also more realistic given the time-scale of the game (which is clearly one day per turn, as the hexes are clearly ten kilometers per hex, although Vic mistakenly set the default at one month per turn). In any case, once again, this change adds a great deal of flexibility during the early game. I don't understand why Vic added 'stone age' as an option, but never thought to create a 'late war' tech option in which everything was already available.

Anyways, if there is something in particular you disagree with, let me know, and I might actually agree with you. I really do think I've improved the game, however. I would suggest to Vic that most of my changes should really just become the default settings. I hope you will consider the wisdom of my changes, and we can play a game and see how it goes.

< Message edited by AdamRinkleff -- 4/12/2012 2:25:25 AM >

(in reply to jreid)
Post #: 17
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/12/2012 5:46:17 PM   
hatemf90

your turn is up.

Post #: 18
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/12/2012 10:24:54 PM   
hatemf90

We could do a 1vs1vs1 with jreid, instead of the game were doing now. would be interesting.. i am being rolled over my chinese militia and neither tech 2 arty, machineguns or airforce could slow them down :/ I dont think i can stop you at this point...

modifications dont matter except to post them so I know what to expect.. :P

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 19
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/12/2012 10:37:44 PM   
AdamRinkleff

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatemf90

We could do a 1vs1vs1 with jreid, instead of the game were doing now. would be interesting.. i am being rolled over my chinese militia and neither tech 2 arty, machineguns or airforce could slow them down :/ I dont think i can stop you at this point...

modifications dont matter except to post them so I know what to expect.. :P

Yah, I'd be willing to do a 1v1v1, although I suspect (like every 1v1v1) it will quickly become a 2v1.

In the game we are playing, I don't think you are completely dead. Really your primary problem is that you've lost a battle and are being outflanked, and instead of retreating you are clinging to your forward positions like a dictator ordering your army "Not a step backwards!" Every turn that goes by your situation is getting steadily worse, and what you really need to do is retreat very rapidly back to a new defensive position. I'm not sure that will let you win the game, since you would then need to stop my army with a lot of untrained recruits, but it would certainly give you more of a chance, whereas if you stay where you are, I will eventually cut your supply line.

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 20
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/13/2012 3:13:04 AM   
jreid

At this point, I'm going to stick with the base, unmodified game.

thanks, jeff

Post #: 21
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/25/2012 7:03:39 PM   
hatemf90

btw, would you be interested in one of the ww2 old scenarios? like this one? played it before and its pretty large.

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=118&tpage=0&tplayer=0&ttag=2&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

(in reply to jreid)
Post #: 22
RE: 1v1 opponents (im experienced) - 4/26/2012 11:37:56 AM   
AdamRinkleff

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatemf90

btw, would you be interested in one of the ww2 old scenarios? like this one? played it before and its pretty large.

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=118&tpage=0&tplayer=0&ttag=2&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=0

I'm willing to give it a try, but mainly only because I can't get anyone to play a balanced random 1v1. My experience with these scenarios is that they are almost always grossly unbalanced in some way, and the designer himself said it isn't complete. Also there are probably dozens of production centers, and I really hate micromanaging all of them. I really like just having one central center, its so much more manageable.

I'd rather just start our 1v1 over if you have given up on the last game, and I'm sure it will be more interesting next time, now that you have some more experience.

< Message edited by AdamRinkleff -- 4/26/2012 11:38:24 AM >

(in reply to hatemf90)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> 1v1 opponents (im experienced) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI