Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

distance from port and time at sea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> distance from port and time at sea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
distance from port and time at sea - 3/20/2012 3:28:51 PM   
gwgardner

Doomtrader has confirmed that the patch will include distance from port and time at sea penalties, as in Time of Fury.

Here's the way those work, default:

If a regular fleet stays at sea beyond 10 turns, it incurs a 50% penalty in chance to spot enemy fleets, and in chance to hit enemy fleets.

if a regular fleet goes more than 1 sea zone from port, it incurs a 10% penalty in those factors for each sea zone beyond 1.

I'm excited about this. This does a lot to take the game out of 'sandbox' mode and into a more historical feel. Those parameters may need to be adjusted. I personally want to see the penalties more severe, and will make a mod for that.

What do the rest of you think about these new features?
Post #: 1
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/21/2012 10:34:09 PM   
Agent S

Parking an armada in a sea zone indefintely was far too 'gamey'.
Any improvements, or increased flexibility to tweak game balance is most welcome.
(I'm most pleased about bombardment calculations)
It is also good to see a game recieving continued support, particularly once it has moved from the high profile new release section of the site into the obscurity of 'period categories'.

"Great men are forged in fire, it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost." -Dr. Who (#1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/23/2012 10:55:21 AM   
ilovestrategy

Really doesn't make too much difference to me. I usually take damage well before ten turns and end up coming back to port anyways for repairs.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Agent S)
Post #: 3
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/23/2012 5:30:15 PM   
gwgardner

True, but I think the intent is to keep a player from doing ridiculous things, like parking a carrier fleet off the coast of the US forever, or near Sydney forever.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 4
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/24/2012 10:12:30 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
True, but I think the intent is to keep a player from doing ridiculous things, like parking a carrier fleet off the coast of the US forever, or near Sydney forever.

Yes, a very useful addition.

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 5
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/25/2012 1:29:40 AM   
bo

quote:

The only thing ridiculous around here is you waiting for that patch In July you will be all agog over MWIF and you dont have to worry about rules because
the computer wont allow you to make mistakes, get ready to play a real game not a patched up mess like this one is.

Bo

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 6
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/25/2012 2:11:16 AM   
gwgardner

patch is here, Bo. I'm playing with it now. Join me.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 7
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/26/2012 10:34:51 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

The only thing ridiculous around here is you waiting for that patch In July you will be all agog over MWIF and you dont have to worry about rules because
the computer wont allow you to make mistakes, get ready to play a real game not a patched up mess like this one is.

Bo

What is MWIF?

And of course the patch is released

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 8
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/26/2012 1:05:16 PM   
gwgardner

World in Flames. Don't know what the 'm' is for.

Bo is convinced that computer World in Flames is going to be the sine qua non of all wargames. Flawless, bugless, no need to read the rules or understand them.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 9
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/26/2012 5:23:14 PM   
Grimnirsson

quote:

I suppose the 'M' stands for Matrix (World in Flames)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 10
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/26/2012 10:12:12 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

Bo is convinced that computer World in Flames is going to be the sine qua non of all wargames. Flawless, bugless, no need to read the rules or understand them.

I hope he is right, even half right would be good, not because it replaces any other game, but there is always room for another good title.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 11
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 12:53:00 AM   
gwgardner

We can hope. However, I've played War In Flames boardgame, and it is probably the most complex rules package ever written. I can't imagine some of that complexity not being present in the computer version, and something that has to be clearly understood by the player.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 12
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 6:42:25 PM   
bo

quote:

patch is here, Bo. I'm playing with it now. Join me.

Are you referring to a beta patch or the real patch I personally dont understand. Notice no smiley faces.

Bo

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 13
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 7:05:56 PM   
bo

quote:

We can hope. However, I've played War In Flames boardgame, and it is probably the most complex rules package ever written. I can't imagine some of that complexity not being present in the computer version, and something that has to be clearly understood by the player.

Did not know you played the board game. The complexity is there and that is what is taking so long. I have always been a beer and pretzel player, quick fast paced games such as 3rd Reich which was a bomb when playing the AI, SOP when it worked which was rarely. Strategic command series etc. This is new to me but have read every post ever made on this game and I have CWIF from ADG. No AI with CWIF so it is diffucult to play yourself. This game if done right, and it will be done right by Steve could be the biggest selling war game in cyber war history. The problem with this game for the programmer Steve is that everyone who has the board game knows how the game will be done or should be done to make it an accurate replica of the board game and it's rules. The rules are what makes this game head and heels over every other game ever made. Don't you gamers get tired of the same old same old gaming of blasting through Poland, France, the boring Steppes of Russia and marshes with nothing to stop the vaunted Werhmacht HUH! Not saying you don't face that again but the mechanics are much better than many games that were made before. Don't know much about an AI yet, pbem might be a little difficult with all the phases in this game, net play might be the best way to play if you can get players in the same time zones to play.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 3/27/2012 7:21:38 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 14
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 7:17:32 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

I hope he is right, even half right would be good, not because it replaces any other game, but there is always room for another good title.

I hope I am a little more than half right Rasputitsa I feel that GW is being slightly nasty to me with that comment but I can handle it It would be smart to read the rules but the computer will not allow you to bend a rule or break a rule, There will be introductory films on how to play the game, films on land movement, production and the more complicated naval moves and air moves. The counters are well done and really look good as does the most important part pf a game the interface. If you really wan't to get a feel for the game read Red Prince's AAR's of the game. And believe me there is always room for another good title Flawless and bugless where is that playing at?

Bo

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 15
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 7:19:50 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grimnirsson

quote:

I suppose the 'M' stands for Matrix (World in Flames)

Not supposing but you are right, it stand for Matrix World In Flames.

Bo

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 16
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 8:21:38 PM   
gwgardner

Not being really mean with you Bo, just condescending ... no! What I mean is that having played WiF, it's hard! I mean every time I wanted to do something, I had to go through the rules, find the exceptions, etc. I know it will be guided, as a computer game, but still think a mastery of the rules will be necessary in order to play successfully.

I swear, after playing 4 scenarios of WiF, I still do not understand the naval rules. The boxes, where to put the ships in the boxes, what were the advantages of one box over another, and so on.

It should indeed be a big seller. To have sustained interest through all the years of development speaks for itself.

I just hope they don't price it out of my reach. I can't get WitE. Too darned expensive.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/27/2012 8:23:01 PM >

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 17
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/27/2012 9:40:15 PM   
bo

quote:

Not being really mean with you Bo, just condescending ... no! What I mean is that having played WiF, it's hard! I mean every time I wanted to do something, I had to go through the rules, find the exceptions, etc. I know it will be guided, as a computer game, but still think a mastery of the rules will be necessary in order to play successfully.

I swear, after playing 4 scenarios of WiF, I still do not understand the naval rules. The boxes, where to put the ships in the boxes, what were the advantages of one box over another, and so on.

It should indeed be a big seller. To have sustained interest through all the years of development speaks for itself.

I just hope they don't price it out of my reach. I can't get WitE. Too darned expensive.

Good because you and I have always been considerate of each others views even though we have disagreed with each other. I still have a hard time with the sea boxes but I feel the movie clips will be a big help to everyone. As far as price who knows? A lot of frustration waiting for the game that is for sure. I still believe that Steve should have got more help from Matrix but I am not privy to his contract with him and Matrix and I will never go down that dark negative road again. Never!

Bo

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 18
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/28/2012 6:48:38 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

I hope I am a little more than half right Rasputitsa I feel that GW is being slightly nasty to me with that comment but I can handle it It would be smart to read the rules but the computer will not allow you to bend a rule or break a rule, There will be introductory films on how to play the game, films on land movement, production and the more complicated naval moves and air moves. The counters are well done and really look good as does the most important part pf a game the interface. If you really wan't to get a feel for the game read Red Prince's AAR's of the game. And believe me there is always room for another good title Flawless and bugless where is that playing at?

Bo

I am dipping into the WiF forum from time to time and, although I never played the board game, I think I will be in the queue on release.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 19
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/28/2012 7:04:33 PM   
doomtrader

So as we are already off topic, is there going to be AI in WIF implemented?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 20
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/28/2012 7:14:16 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

Bo

I am dipping into the WiF forum from time to time and, although I never played the board game, I think I will be in the queue on release.

I have not played the board game either Ras but I do have the ADG computer version, they are the ones that make the board game and sold the computer rights to Matrix. I would say get their version because it's only 15$ US., but with MWIF about to break in July hopefully I think it would be a waste of money. That version is being played on Vassel as I write. It took 5 years for ADG to put it into computer form and it is taking Steve that long to put it in the Matrix column. But it is like night and day the difference between efforts. There is very little in post comments going on at the MWIF post sight because of people tired of waiting for the game but I guarnantee you when the game breaks that post board will light up like a xmas tree, I know some other elements about the game Doomtrader but right now I am not at liberty to say. I do not mean to use SOP's posts to promote this game it just came along that way. And if anyone feels I should not do this I will cease and desist.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 3/28/2012 7:16:37 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 21
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/28/2012 7:19:57 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

So as we are already off topic, is there going to be AI in WIF implemented?

I personally apoligize Doom for getting off topic, I am one who does not like to see that and broke my own rules, as far as the AI, I am not at liberty to say and I think you know what I mean.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 3/28/2012 7:20:24 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 22
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/29/2012 10:23:19 AM   
Grimnirsson

It's no secret that the plan is to implement an AI...

quote:

There is no question that the game will have an AI, but the AI will require extra work and our goal it so make sure the AI is competent and can provide a good challenge to new players. In the long run, this game is much better played against human opponents, which is why we are focusing on the multiplayer system first.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3063467

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 23
RE: distance from port and time at sea - 3/29/2012 2:27:58 PM   
gwgardner

Again, pricing is going to be critical for MWiF, especially without an AI. My favorite wargame of all time, S&P's War In Europe, was implemented for computer WITHOUT an AI. I just can't get myself to buy it at $60 without an AI.

Back on topic: Doomtrader, you should update your change list for the SoP 1.10 patch to include ALL the improvements you made. Including report upgrades. Anything else I haven't discovered yet?

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 3/29/2012 2:35:35 PM >

(in reply to Grimnirsson)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> distance from port and time at sea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI