Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problem running old game on new computer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Problem running old game on new computer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem running old game on new computer - 3/18/2012 5:53:23 PM   
Raskal

I believe that I am posting this in the right area. I recently purchased a new computer, with Windows 7 64-bit, and installed my old copy of FoF, purchased circa 2007.

Installation went fine, but here is a description of the problem I have encountered:

- After clicking on the game icon to start, I press "Play" on the Opening Screen
- The Matrix Games screen then comes and goes
- Then the first FoF screen appears and the bar at the bottom indicates the game is loading up. But immediately after the bar finishes moving from left to right, I am put back on the Opening Screen.

This sequence occurred both before and after I downloaded the updated version of the game from the Matrix website. Likewise, running as administrator or not, and changing the compatibility to run as XP sp 3 didn't seem to matter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/18/2012 6:10:18 PM   
rwenstrup

Could be the resolution. I play it on Windows 7 64 pro and use 1024 x 768 resolution and it works fine. You need to change the resolution of your computer (under Display in the Control Panel) and within the game.

< Message edited by rwenstrup -- 3/18/2012 6:12:50 PM >

Over the main entrance to a beautiful manor built in Germany in 1748: "When we live in peace we make buildings such as this...when we make war we tear them down"

(in reply to Raskal)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/18/2012 8:39:38 PM   
Raskal

I have set the display resolution in my control panel to 1024 x 768, but I can't get into the game to adjust any settings there (unless there is a way to do so without starting up the game that I don't know about). Thanks for the suggestion.

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/19/2012 1:11:31 PM   
Floyd

I think i had the same problem; it was related to the Flash player:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1883776
Check if you can open and play the intro "video/intro.swf"
in your browser.

(in reply to Raskal)
Post #: 4
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/21/2012 10:58:24 PM   
cesteman

I re installed the game on a new computer and the into screen shots are blank but I have sound. Game loads fine after that.

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 5
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/23/2012 9:19:17 PM   
Raskal

Floyd, I think you are on the right track for my problem. No, I can't play the video intro/.swf file. That this may be the source of my problem seems consisent with an error message I get about my macro media player not being supported by my operating system (Windows 7 64-bit). However, when I update the recommended adobe flasher player from the adobe website, still no go. And I can't seem to actually find my player of .swf files anywhere in my files in order to do some experimenting by adjusting parameters. Some material I have read suggests that my .swf player is somehow linked to my browser (Firefox), but I still can't find anything there.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 6
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/24/2012 12:54:04 AM   
Floyd

I've double clicked on the video/intro.swf file and a window popped up to choose
an application. I've selected the "internet explorer" and the video played. You can
check what program is started by (i'm German, so please excuse my translation):
click START - system control - standard programs - and then, second from top,
choose file type to connect to program - and scroll down to ".swf" extension.
For me it is "internet explorer".

If your macro media player gives you problems you might better deinstall the application.

(in reply to Raskal)
Post #: 7
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/24/2012 5:15:12 PM   
Raskal

Success! Thanks for your help. One small wrinkle I ran into. At first I linked the .swf files in the game to my default browser, Firefox, and it didn't work. Then I tried downloading the latest macro player to IE and then linked the .swf files in the game to that, and it worked. I guess this game was developed at a time when IE was the only choice. Thanks again.

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/25/2012 11:53:12 AM   
Floyd

That is good news.
One tip: in the detailed battles it sometimes happened to me that if i press "v" to
"Open Advisor report giving an overview of the battle situation." the game freezed.
Better save before ...

(in reply to Raskal)
Post #: 9
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/27/2012 12:38:13 AM   
Raskal

Generally good advice to save obsessively, because you never know what could go wrong. Thanks.

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 10
RE: Problem running old game on new computer - 3/28/2012 6:50:28 AM   
Gil R.

Been offline for a few days...

I'm glad that you're able to get the game to work. As I recall, FOF wasn't designed to run on 64-bit, but things seem to have turned out okay here.

(in reply to Raskal)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Problem running old game on new computer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI