Matrix Games Forums

War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/16/2012 11:47:55 PM   
Olorin

Well, here is my question.
Why do accelerated carriers appear without their air groups? I have to wait until the original completion time to receive them. What is the point in accelerating? Am I doing something wrong?

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--
Post #: 1
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/16/2012 11:53:16 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

well.. historically some carriers were ready when they had no AC or trained pilots..
but the player should be allowed make your own *units* when you have plenty of
AC and pilots in the pool

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 2
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 2:01:19 AM   
jmalter

there's an option to split existing sqns, xfer some of the sub-units to another CV or land base, then re-size them all as req'd. i gather this can be considered 'gamey', YMMV. of course, this'll be useless if you don't have the necessary planes/pilots in your pools.

i've done it a lot w/ Allied CV-replacement sqns, & also w/ floatplanes ('cos some Allied BB/CA/CLs arrive w/ none embarked). there's a set of rules the game-engine follows for a) max size allowed for a CV's sqns, & b) port size/supply state needed for the re-size to occur. there are pages for this stuff in these forums that i'd happily link to for you, if i'd remembered to bookmark them previously.

also i've noticed the game-engine can be dilatory in applying re-sizes, even if conditions are met.

ETA: here's the 'allowable re-size' info link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/Forums/tm.asp?m=2412310&mpage=1&key=�

< Message edited by jmalter -- 3/17/2012 2:04:22 AM >

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 10:58:09 AM   
Olorin

Thanks for the replies. I have a few CAGs from sunk carriers sitting in land bases, so I'll use them. But, I think that the air groups of the accelerated carriers should also be accelerated themselves.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 4
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 11:33:06 AM   
Puhis

What carriers are you talking about, what scenario? At least my accelerated carriers arrive with their airgroups.

Some of the japanese carriers arrive without airgroup anyway.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 5
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 12:02:59 PM   
Olorin

I received CVL Ryuho two days ago, but its air groups will arrive on Nov '43.
Same with CV Taiho. I will receive her in about a month from now, but her air groups will not come before March '43. Perhaps Ryuho is a special case?

Edit: I am playing scenario 1.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 6
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 12:28:16 PM   
obvert

Do you have any +/- 30 or 60 days set on arrival dates? This could mess that up.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 7
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 12:33:22 PM   
Olorin

No, we are playing with fixed reinforcements.

"Drang nach Osten"
--A TOAWIII AAR--

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 8
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 1:45:54 PM   
John 3rd

Makes no sense to me. The Japanese Air Groups SHOULD be paired to their CV--CVL and come in with it. This happens even if the airframe isn't even in production yet.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 9
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 1:54:44 PM   
Erkki

Nah, you'll get the airgroups even if the plane type isnt available yet. Its just that the CVEs and most CVLs arrive without their airgroups and their organic groups arrive only sooner or later in 1943 IIRC.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 3:34:24 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Makes no sense to me. The Japanese Air Groups SHOULD be paired to their CV--CVL and come in with it. This happens even if the airframe isn't even in production yet.

They are, but as Erkki notes many of the CVL's and most of the CVE's airgroups are NOT organic and arrive as separate, but correctly named groups. There are also a few AV's and AMC's that this is true of as well. Thus if you accelerate them, the airgroups are NOT accelerated. On teh flip side all? of the CV airgroups are organic and will accelerate with the ships. At least, I haven't had any problems with that.

Pax

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 11
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 4:01:54 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

They should, but there's a couple things to watch out for in the editor that might cause one to inadvertently do the pooch, as it were.

You probably already know this, but when setting up integral/embarked airgroups, it's important that one identifies the Ship in the Location field, and sets the Delay to '0'. Setting the Delay field to some value will cause an overide, in some circumstances, when the Delay is 'after' the Ship availability. It's good for putting some late arriving night fighter sqdns on ships already deployed, but if used for integral groups can cause some empty flight decks

Ciao. John

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 12
RE: Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups - 3/17/2012 4:45:04 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

I received CVL Ryuho two days ago, but its air groups will arrive on Nov '43.
Same with CV Taiho. I will receive her in about a month from now, but her air groups will not come before March '43. Perhaps Ryuho is a special case?

Edit: I am playing scenario 1.

Ryuho don't have organic airgroups, Ryuho's planes arrive late 1943 like you said.

But Taiho should have groups when it arrives. I'm playing same scenario, and Taiho's airgroups are "accelerated" same pace as the ship.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Accelerated carrier - where are the air groups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI