Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/16/2012 2:40:08 PM   
Barb

Hi,

actually we are about 15 days into the PBEM campaign with stock scenario 1. However my opponent discovered a pwhex.dat that changes the stacking limits for some hexes
https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art/stacking-limit-data

So I would like to ask:
1. Is it possible to change pwhex.dat in the middle of the PBEM without serious issues?
2. Are there any known issues about this - have anyone tried it before?
3. What is the pwhex.dat exchange procedure (I presume it is the same as applying official patch - that is to run replay with original pwhex.dat, save game, change the files, load game and give orders - for both sides) ?

"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Post #: 1
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/16/2012 3:00:45 PM   
witpqs

Mine in a different color.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Hi,

actually we are about 15 days into the PBEM campaign with stock scenario 1. However my opponent discovered a pwhex.dat that changes the stacking limits for some hexes
https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art/stacking-limit-data

So I would like to ask:
1. Is it possible to change pwhex.dat in the middle of the PBEM without serious issues?
Yes, no problem.
2. Are there any known issues about this
None that I am aware of.
- have anyone tried it before?
Yes, my opponent and I and several people who have asked (and I gave this answer to).
3. What is the pwhex.dat exchange procedure (I presume it is the same as applying official patch - that is to run replay with original pwhex.dat, save game, change the files, load game and give orders - for both sides) ?
There really isn't a procedure needed AFAIK, but for safety follow the same procedure as for updating to a new Beta (just as you described).

The only thing to be careful of is a game-play issue. You have been playing without stacking limits. Suppose you have put a lot of troops into one hex. You load the new stacking limits. You find that now you are grossly over stacked in that hex and it burns through all of your supplies! So just have a look at any place that might be over stacked. Of course beware that some places (like mountainous hexes) have very low limits.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/16/2012 3:08:05 PM   
pws1225

Hi Barb - In my PBEM game against Dr.Hal, we discovered that my version of the pwhex.dat file differed from his (different file dates). I don't recall what manifestation the difference caused, but I updated my pwhex.dat file to the same one as my opponent without any problems at all. I wasn't aware of any particular procedure to use to update the file, so I simply loaded the new pwhex.dat file prior to issuing orders for my turn. That was a couple of months ago in real time, and about 1 month in game time. I'd say go for it.

Regards, Paul

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/16/2012 5:20:34 PM   
JocMeister

Me and my opponent is also considering changing to this pwhex.dat. The stacking limits sound wonderful to get around the deathstar syndrome. But I have had problems finding any detailed info on it? So if a kind soul could direct me to the right place I would be greatful!

I tried a search but...

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/16/2012 5:23:20 PM   
witpqs

He put the link in the first post. From that site you will also find the link to Andrew Brown's related site.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/16/2012 10:44:08 PM   
JocMeister

Yes I know. I was hoping there was a thread or something somewhere discussing the effects of the stacking limits and a more detailed explaination of what it does and how it works.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/17/2012 12:04:54 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Yes I know. I was hoping there was a thread or something somewhere discussing the effects of the stacking limits and a more detailed explaination of what it does and how it works.

This is one such thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2915927&mpage=1&key=stacking%2Climits

That thread was opened by Andrew Brown with his new pwhex. It was the outcome of an earlier discussion which encompassed how realistic was it to march 5 divisions over the Owen Stanley range. The earlier discussion provides substantial background detail.

Alfred

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/17/2012 8:05:03 AM   
JocMeister

Thank you Alfred!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/18/2012 5:32:04 PM   
Barb

Thanx a lot guys, we will probably upgrade - then I will post the results :)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/18/2012 6:58:06 PM   
PaxMondo

Thanks Barb.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

Pax

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/18/2012 7:58:50 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Thanx a lot guys, we will probably upgrade - then I will post the results :)

The biggest shock is the stacking limits on places that you might not even consider like Nomeua ...

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 11
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/24/2012 7:31:29 PM   
Barb

As this was an early game, the only problem I had encountered was at Clark Field - limited to 40.000, while I had 53.000 of troops (part moving to Bataan). Bataan is limited to 24.000 which is quite low, but could serve to speed up the fall of Bataan, or to lessen the number of required troops on the Japanese side (IRL Bataan was finished by 16th Division + 65th Brigade).

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 12
RE: Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? - 3/24/2012 7:32:05 PM   
Barb

As this was an early game, the only problem I had encountered was at Clark Field - limited to 40.000, while I had 53.000 of troops (part moving to Bataan). Bataan is limited to 24.000 which is quite low, but could serve to speed up the fall of Bataan, or to lessen the number of required troops on the Japanese side (IRL Bataan was finished by 16th Division + 65th Brigade).

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Changing pwhex.dat in middle of the PBEM ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI