New version of TAO Scenario

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and the editor for Battles in Italy.
inqistor

New version of TAO Scenario

Post by inqistor »

Hi guys. I wanted to put it on SSG forum, but I am not sure anyone still supports it, as I get no response for my new account request.

After finishing Eisenhower, then Bradley, and finally Patton, I thought I would like to try incorporate reported large supply stockpiles at Liege, and Spa, and most importantly - change Luxembourg into very important defensive location (as Eisenhower clearly states, that it was NO-GO zone). I have played several versions of Ardennes battle (both computer, and board), and do not remember version, where Luxembourg was worth defending, so I thought the best possible engine will be DBWWII, as I really like scale, and speed of turns.

Timing supply dump actually were more complicated, than I thought, but during creation, I have also begun to play with Allies AI (seriously, why are they leave whole fortified line at first turn?). After few modifications, and defining several IMPORTANT OBJECTIVES it really plays great (Axis on the other side do not play as great, as IMPORTANT OBJECTIVES seems to work for both sides, and AI tends to leave whole divisions to protect once conquered cities). I think it can be repaired, by just deleting all objectives for Axis, but it will again weaken Allies side, so it seems no way to make good AI for both sides.
Anyway, later I have discovered, that 150th Brigade is far too weak (it have strength of battalion, while it had 2500 men, so should be as strong as other German Regiments). Then I have discovered, that VOLKSGRENADIERE units seems to be modelled on 1943 Infantry TOE, not late 1944 Volksgrenadiere TOE, with 2 platoons in Company fully equipped with automatic weapons.
Speaking of automatic weapons, also Fallschirmjaegers seems to be too weak, with their FG-42, double MG-42, and MP-44 used in Ardennes, and their OOB seems to be taken directly from Normandy game, where indeed one of Divisions was not ready for operation (and weaker), but both Divisions were rebuild in the same way (by incorporating three 3 batallion Luftwaffe Regiments).

So... I have used Tessin, and modified whole German infantry in accordance what is stated there. The main goal was to make units with lots of automatic weapons minimally better, than US units with semi-automatic weapon in attack, and something more powerful in defence. VOLKSGRENADIER divisions, which have no previous combat experience were moved to their own minor nation (actually MAJOR, because I did not wanted to copy all the artillery), and have lower morale (greater chance to surrender), but gets extra replacement every turn. They have also lower INTEGRITY BONUS.

Doing all this, some of US units were then modified downward. First, Airborne Divisions, having 1/3rd less people seems to have actually 1/3rd more STEP POINTS. I have reduced this, together with INTEGRITY BONUS for US infantry. Also I have lowered AT strength of US Infantry, and upgraded it for M36, as only 17pdr/90mm was strong enough to chalenge German armor on distance.

Points for units are modified accordingly to their modified strength, but I am not sure of influence of this change on game. So testing is needed. Feedback welcome.

Finally, some minor changes for CRT tables. Outside terrain gives less AT bonus, and forest battles are more bloody (no no-effect results at higher ratios)

Link to Scenario (large, 18.5 Mb)

Changelog:
Attachments
TAO 5.2.txt
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
JSS

RE: New version of TAO Scenario

Post by JSS »

Having trouble getting a copy downloaded. My virus protection dislikes the file service you have this posted to.

Unless you've changed a graphic picture (i.e. one of the xcr files), only the new .scn and .ai* files are needed to play (you simply make a new folder under TAO5 and copy them in... similar to how 6PzArmee and Race scenarios are present). This makes posting and sharing the new scenario a lot easier.

JSS
inqistor

RE: New version of TAO Scenario

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: JSS

Having trouble getting a copy downloaded. My virus protection dislikes the file service you have this posted to.
Oh yeah, I have chosen first link, obviously most of those sites are just ad-income generators.
I have changed link in first post, it now links to other site, and Scenario is slightly updated.
Unless you've changed a graphic picture (i.e. one of the xcr files),
I actually wanted to change 150Pz Brigade icon (as it should have wheeled movement), and I needed non-elite Allied Parachute unit, but during extraction, there was only ONE map file, so I left it unchanged.
And you are right, excluding graphics, zipped file takes only 41 kb. It is attached here, in this post.
only the new .scn and .ai* files are needed to play (you simply make a new folder under TAO5 and copy them in... similar to how 6PzArmee and Race scenarios are present).

Well, I do not see AI files in those Scenarios, and although it seems to work, when I made separate folder, with the same files on both levels (folder, and overall Scenario file), when I made fresh install of TAO5, it crashes every time (even, when I only enter editor).
So it seems, there is some conflict, probably because I have added another nation into unit file.

Anyway, it should work, if you just make NEW SCENARIO FOLDER, from this ZIP, and copy XCR file, from TAO5 Scenario, from SSG site.
Attachments
TAO52.zip
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Editing”