Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions re SU Mechanics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Questions re SU Mechanics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions re SU Mechanics - 3/15/2012 3:15:20 AM   
redboot

I recently posted these questions in the war room forum, without realizing that this was the main Q&A forum. I'm reposting them in hopes of casting a wider net. I have a few questions about SU units for the more experienced.

1. If I manually assign a SU to a combat unit, will it stay with that unit forever unless I manually put it back in the HQ? Will the program ever relocate it to HQ automatically? Is the answer different for pioneer/sapper SUs?

2. Why is it when I click on the assign button in the unit detail and see what's available for manual assignment, those unit types do no necessarily appear in the attached SU list for that unit's HQ. For example, I can assign a Flame Tank Battalion to the 12th Panzer Division, LVII Crops, but no such unit appears in the LVII corps attached unit list. Is it sitting a command level up?

3. Why does the software make fewer SUs of a specific type available to a unit than are in that HQ. For example, I might have 1 pioneer battalion available for that same 12th Panzer division, but the LVII corps HQ says there are two in the HQ. Is that just a program allocation algorhythm?

4. What is the main benefit of medium tank SU sttachments? Would I tend to attach them to infantry units for an "effective" combined arms bonus? (Same question for Flame Tanks.)

5. When does the program actually decide whether to devote SUs to a combat unit/attack? (Leaving aside artillery.) I.e. do SUs like STuGs and Medium Tanks REQUIRE manual attachment or will the program seek to allocate them to an attack at some point during the action phase?

6. Will a Flak unit manually attached to an attacking unit assist in covering that unit from defensive air support?

I'm trying to get the system clear in my head and I would appreciate any insight.
Post #: 1
RE: Questions re SU Mechanics - 3/15/2012 3:31:50 AM   
vicberg

1. Assignment from an HQ to a division and back is manual. It's costs one AP per assignment.
2. Yes, it's sitting at the Army level or possibly higher. If the HQ or higher level up HQ is in range you can assign an SU directly to the division.
3. It starts historical or as close as they could guess. Some HQs have tons of SUs and others 0.
4. It's a choice. You could attach tanks to infantry corp HQs for some armor support OR to motorized divisions for some armor punch.
5. SUs assigned to divisons always are involved in combat. SUs assigned to HQs within 5 hexes of a combat unit may be included providing the HQ didn't move during the turn. It must pass a series of tests to be included. If the HQ moved, the SU may be involved only if the combat unit does a deliberate attack and then must pass some tests to be included.
6. Yes. I haven't checked, but my guess is that an HQ in range of a combat unit with flak units assigned might have a chance to be included as well.

You'll have to play around with auto-assignment. It's tricky. Setting all your corps to 3, for example, will tell the system to attempt to get 3 of each type of SU out there. Since there isn't 3 of everything, nothing will move. What I do is set my corps, first turn, to 1, my armies to 2 or 3, army groups to 3 and high command to 3. This will automatically transfer some of the corp HQs that start with 20 up to the army level (or higher) where they can be reassigned. Reassignment still costs 1 AP, so transferring down from army group to army, army to corp, or anything to a division will cost. But it does save a bit on AP points.

At some point, I start locking the HQs so nothing automatically moves. I like the motorized battalions, flak companies, panzers, stugs assigned to my panzer group divisions. One army (the 18) and the Panzer groups get the pioneers and nice arty. THen I start trying to get 3 arty into all my other corp HQs so they have some punch.

You'll see that some players start reassigning SUs from mobile divisions back to corp HQs when winter comes. So Stugs, Flames, Jags get moved to corp HQs for defense support.

(in reply to redboot)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Questions re SU Mechanics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI