Public Beta v5.60.53b - bugs/issues

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
kweniston

Public Beta v5.60.53b - bugs/issues

Post by kweniston »

First off, thanks for the update!

Two Stratmap "issues", that came right up after starting a GC:

- Mapnames not visible
Many mapnames are not visible in the stratmap, because covered by BG icons/supply depot icons/bridge icons, or movement arrows (lesser problem), please move them off-center of the map if possible. Best/Son are a worst case, see attached screenshot.
Affected (at least): Best, Son, Valkenswaard, Veghel, Schijndel, Teersdijk, Hatert Bridge, Blankenberg Bridge, Honinghutje Bridge, Grafwegen, Nijmegen Bridge, Waal North Bank, Westervoort, Arnhem Heights, South Oosterbeek, Renkum Heath.

- Stratmap navigation
It's very hard to move the mouse over the right vertical scrolldown bar, without moving the map sideways (to the right), because the map moves when moving outside the center screen. Without enabling the scrollwheel/cursor keys to move, the only way to reasonably navigate thru the stratmap is via the small minimap...

Wish: make stratmap same resolution as main gameplay. I play with 1900/1200 pixels, can the stratmap be 1900/1200 as well?

Will be testing further during the campaign.

Attachments
stratmapnames.jpg
stratmapnames.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 236 times
kweniston

RE: Public Beta v5.60.53b - bugs/issues

Post by kweniston »

Uninstaller still mentions v5.60.51 (when running).
kweniston

Post by kweniston »

FYI, I need to enable XP Compatibility mode, otherwise game crashes when starting on my pc (Win7, 64bit).
xe5

Post by xe5 »

Allied AB BGs still have unlimited supply rather than the 2 day post-drop allotment specified on line 72 in Campaign.txt.
XXX Corp BGs can still draw supply from the AB DZ supply maps.

I find its still more realistic to edit the campaign by removing the Allied minor DZ supply areas from the strat map, then edit the AB BGs to have automatic supply for 0 days.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

kweniston - thanks for your feedback on the strategic map appearance and UI. Some good suggestions in there too. We'll keep it in mind.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The airborne battle group 'auto-supply' is a bug and I'll fix it for the 'official' .53 update.

I understand your point about the limited supply from the minor supply depots in the game not accurately representing the capabilities of the drop zones. This would be a feature change but I agree it would be a good one. Thanks for the suggestion. And as you say, you can create a custom scenario with the minor supply depots removed, if you wish.

xe5

Post by xe5 »

I was running campaign tests on the "blown bridge vis supply line" fix and encountered an 'Unable to save' error at the end of the battle, which would have also been the end of a turn.

The game conditions were not stock:

1. Campaign.txt had all bridge detonation times changed to 0000 or 00000.
2. Campaign.txt had Allied AB 'auto-supply' set to 0.
3. The battle timer was changed to 2 seconds.

I'd just completed similar campaign tests using the same conditions but w/o the battle in question, so I doubt these 3 edits contributed to the save error.

Zip attached includes two save files, version (a) from the previous 0000hrs turn where the battle can be fought and the turn completed, and version (b) from the 0600hrs turn where the game wont save after battle.
Attachments
RebuildTest2.zip
(322.64 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Awesome detail/testing XE5!
xe5

Post by xe5 »

re: "Unable to save file..."

The Allied AB BG on Ginkel Heath was showing contradictory ammo & fuel supply statuses. It had a "+" symbol erroneously indicating it was in minor supply while the ammo/fuel levels, after several turns of battle, steadily dropped from Full to Low. The battle that crashed due to the "Unable to save file..." would have caused the Ammo/Fuel levels to drop to None.

IMO this issue relates to the unlimited Allied AB supply bug previously mentioned.

Attachments
ginkheat.jpg
ginkheat.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 233 times
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Thans very much for the report. I will take a look.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: xe5
re: "Unable to save file..."

The Allied AB BG on Ginkel Heath was showing contradictory ammo & fuel supply statuses. It had a "+" symbol erroneously indicating it was in minor supply while the ammo/fuel levels, after several turns of battle, steadily dropped from Full to Low. The battle that crashed due to the "Unable to save file..." would have caused the Ammo/Fuel levels to drop to None.

The erroneous "+" symbol was due to mismatched Campaign.txt files between my PCs. However, Ive reproduced the bug on fresh game installs with a 4 sec timer, the AB auto-supply left at '2', and the bridge det times zeroed out in Campaign.txt. Am now unsure if the AB auto-supply issue is the culprit. Testing a similar custom campaign scenario w/o any edits now.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

'Unable to save file...' + CTD after the 0600 battle on Ginkel Heath. Fresh, stock installs with no Campaign.txt or save file edits.

How to re-create:
  • Run on two PCs
  • Blow bridges asap
  • Dont move any BGs
Original custom camp (BugTest B) and its 'just started' version (Bug Test 3) included in .zip
Attachments
BugTest.zip
(31.3 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
xe5

Post by xe5 »

The 'Axis/Allies surprised' flags in Campaign.txt affect two turns instead of one - the 9/17/0000 and 0600 turns.

The 9/17/0000 turn doesnt happen unless there is a non-static Axis BG on the strat map.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

nm
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

The 'Axis/Allies surprised' flags in Campaign.txt affect two turns instead of one - the 9/17/0000 and 0600 turns.
makes sense to me, and think it's always been this way, but would be nice if it could be edited
The 9/17/0000 turn doesnt happen unless there is a non-static Axis BG on the strat map.

also seeing this with GJS in LSA--no first night turn against static Axis BGs unless non-static Axis BG present somewhere on campaign map.
xe5

Post by xe5 »

ORIGINAL: Cathartes
also seeing this with GJS in LSA--no first night turn against static Axis BGs unless non-static Axis BG present somewhere on campaign map.

It turns out that not just the 9/17/0000 turn gets skipped if no mobile Axis BGs are on the strat map -- all 0000 turns are skipped unless an Axis mobile BG is present.

This needs fixed.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

The skipping of the turn if the first turn of a scenario is a night turn and one side has no actual battle groups on the map is a known bug.  It just didn't make the cut for the beta update.  We may be able to address it in the official update.

berndn

Post by berndn »

Steve, while I'm happy that there's progress, I believe it would be good to find a way to publish smaller updates and to concentrate getting rid of some major/minor bugs before making an official update. Just an idea to get the maximum from the public beta.

And a big [&o] to xe5!
col kapa

Post by col kapa »

Hi Guys

Over the last two years I have tried five head to head campaigns -only 2 were completed without crashing.What is interesting is that we learnt to save every movement phase inorder to re-jig the movement which enabled most crashes to be fixed.

95% of crashes occured when dealing with doublestacked units.Everytime you had a friendly unit on a map and moved another unit onto the map at the same time as your opponent the game crashed.The only way to avoid this is to move the existing unit out so a "meeting engagement" took place.There were plenty of times that you could not pick teams from the unit below or the ones you did pick did not become available on the map.It was also a 50-50 chance that swapping units on the same map would actualy work or indeed taking one of the double stacked units of rest was at times impossable.

It seems that the program cannot cope with two units on one map especially when you are borrowing teams.
We also found that when an allied unit suddenly manages to cross a blown bridge with armour, the game gets confused and subsequently it is almost always that unit that causes crashes.

The flak tower in Grave- you can drive a tank into it and it needs attention regards its "building status".

So I am not sure if the problems that we have experianced are due to the supply issues that seem to bare most complaints.
But strategicly and tacticly this game is great head to head.
lets hope it can become playable so hundreds of hours are not wasted
villev

Post by villev »

Campaign crashes after a battle at 18/1500 South Oosterbeek, KG Harder (computer) vs 1st Para brigade (human). Crash occurs when the battle ends. The battle is the last one of the campaign turn, so might be a turn-end issue too. A window pops up:

Code: Select all

Unable to save file. Please Correct the problem then select 'OK'

The save is here, with latest beta-patch applied: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn8tf2gqeu1xosh/gc6

Crashes every time.

There's hundreds of gigs space on the disk (and the save is few megas only), writing permissions are fine, and this did not happen earlier with saving and I haven't tampered with the game files or directories in any way.

Return to “Tech Support”