Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Blizzard Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Axis Blizzard Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Blizzard Question - 3/14/2012 6:05:47 PM   
vicberg

Having gone through my first blizzard, I've learned a few things but would like some more advice.

The 18th Army can be pulled almost entirely out and protected as can the PZGs. However, looks like the rest of the German armies are somewhat screwed and will get depleted and lose moral.

So....

1) Since CV is basically 1, can divisions be broken down and defend roughly the same? That could allow for divisions to move into towns on reserve.
2) Do Forts provide any protection. It seemed like they offer something, but not quite sure.

Any other advice for surviving the first winter?
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Blizzard Question - 3/14/2012 8:47:17 PM   
2ndACR

Run......Period.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Blizzard Question - 3/14/2012 8:56:23 PM   
gingerbread

Printed CV might be 1 in both cases, but actual strength for a break-down will be aprox 1/3. Hoover mouse pointer to check.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Blizzard Question - 3/14/2012 9:08:50 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicberg

Having gone through my first blizzard, I've learned a few things but would like some more advice.

The 18th Army can be pulled almost entirely out and protected as can the PZGs. However, looks like the rest of the German armies are somewhat screwed and will get depleted and lose moral.

So....

1) Since CV is basically 1, can divisions be broken down and defend roughly the same? That could allow for divisions to move into towns on reserve.
2) Do Forts provide any protection. It seemed like they offer something, but not quite sure.

About 2) Note that some of this has been later modified but as i understand it the fort modifier for losses are still in play.
My emphazise.

v1.04.10 – April 18, 2011

5) Rules Changes to First Winter rules (Section 22.3):
(a) (Section 22.3.1) Changed the CV modifications in January 1942 as follows: Attacking CV is divided by 2 (instead of /3). Any missed check (admin or combat skill) causes CV to be further divided by 3 (instead of /4). Defending CV is divided by 1.5 (instead of /2 – previously this was incorrectly listed as /4). Any missed checks causes CV to be further divided by 1.5 (instead of /2). The displayed on counter CVs are divided by 2 for attack and 1.5 for defense (instead of /3 and /2).
(b) (Section 22.3.1) Changed the CV modifications in February 1942 as follows: Attacking CV is divided by 1.5 (instead of /3). Any missed check (admin or combat skill) causes CV to be further divided by 2 (instead of /4). Defending CV is divided by 1.33 (instead of /2 – previously this was incorrectly listed as /4). Any missed checks causes CV to be further divided by 1.33 (instead of /2). The displayed on counter CVs are divided by 1.5 for attack and 1.33 for defense (instead of /3 and /2).
(c) (Section 22.3.2) The percent of damaged elements has been reduced in December 41 so instead of roughly 5-20% the losses are now roughly 1-7% (the damage losses are still reduced by 50% in Jan/Feb 1942). Units subject to this damage will now see their damage reduced if they are in a hex that has a fort level. The amount of the reduction is the fort level squared as follows:
1. Fort Level 1 – 1% reduction
2. Fort Level 2 – 4% reduction
3. Fort Level 3 – 9% reduction
4. Fort Level 4 – 16% reduction
5. Fort Level 5 – 25% reduction
So a unit in a fort level 4 that would have suffered 6% attrition will now suffer roughly 5% attrition.

(d) (Section 22.3.3) The Morale drop for exposed units was reduced from 2 to 1.
(e) (Section 22.3.3) Removed the automatic pre-combat morale reduction of 2 when morale was greater than 60.
(f) (Section 22.3.3) Added a loss of 1 morale for non-Finnish Axis units whenever they are attacked and the final end of combat odds are greater than 1:2.
(g) (Section 22.3.4) Axis units tracing supply to a railhead in the affected area (22.3) will have the amount of supply they receive reduced by 25% after all other modifications. (previously it was reduced 50%).
(h) It was always harder for German units to received replacements during the first winter (previously undocumented). It is now even more difficult for them to received replacements during first winter.

About 1. Im playing a pbem where the axis player tried that. I can see how it works if u sure u always stay out of range of the advancing russian, problem is if u dont. As our game happend he didnt or i caught up to his retreat and he lost around 44 reg's during the blizzard. The modified CV is so low that a single tank bde will make mincemeat of of a single reg in dec-jan. this ofc creates holes in a line to be exploited. Its not that i cant see situasion where it can be used. Possibly in sacrifice situasions among others, but as a pure defence strategy i'd say in our example it worked poorly for the german player. Ofc it takes an russian player that is able to take advantage of it too.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 3/14/2012 9:09:43 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Blizzard Question - 3/16/2012 12:59:05 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicberg

So....

Do not break units down.
Yes

In most cases in the north you dont need to retreat as terrian slows down everyone.

From Oka south retreat 1 or 2 hexes per turn starting with last turn of snow.

You should have built during summer a February fort line about 12 hexs behind the front.

Basicly slowly retreat to fort line then try to hold that line.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmyypGyfng&list=PLrY4H4gWWBircAjo

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Axis Blizzard Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI