Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AE Stacking Limits?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> AE Stacking Limits? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AE Stacking Limits? - 3/13/2012 6:11:40 PM   
SuluSea

Hi all, my opponent and I have discussed using AE stacking limits mod from the DaBabes page for our current PBEM game. We're playing scenario one stock game upgraded to the latest official patch. Our game is early and started after the patch became official.

We both want to make certain we have the ability to upgrade our scenario and the procedure as well can anyone help and steer us in the right direction? Thanks!!

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams
Post #: 1
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 3/13/2012 7:15:55 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Hi all, my opponent and I have discussed using AE stacking limits mod from the DaBabes page for our current PBEM game. We're playing scenario one stock game upgraded to the latest official patch. Our game is early and started after the patch became official.

We both want to make certain we have the ability to upgrade our scenario and the procedure as well can anyone help and steer us in the right direction? Thanks!!

Yes you can. The stacking limits are completely contained in the trio of pwhex files, and the pwhex files are read in when the program runs. The code does check to see if a saved game had the same pwhex data as the program just loaded (when you started the program), so you will get a warning message about that.

So the procedure is as easy as just copying in the right pwhex files, ie the ones with the stacking limits. Be advised that the have pwhex files for:
- Stock map with 'regular' stacking limits (meaning just atolls and islands);
- Stock map with 'optional' stacking limits (meaning all hexes);
- Extended map with 'regular' stacking limits (meaning just atolls and islands);
- Extended map with 'optional' stacking limits (meaning all hexes);

So you can be using the Stock map with or without the optional stacking limits, or the Extended map with or without the optional stacking limits. Just pick the correct pwhex files.

I advise you to have a look at any hexes where you have a lot of troops. If you are over the stacking limits those hexes will vaccum up supplies until you remedy the situation!

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 2
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 3/13/2012 7:38:34 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I advise you to have a look at any hexes where you have a lot of troops. If you are over the stacking limits those hexes will vaccum up supplies until you remedy the situation!

Is this necessarily a bad thing given the conciseness that there is, too much supply in the game with too little spoilage? I'm not smart enough to figure a way to manage by using this concept and I am just throwing it out as food for thought.

Buck

< Message edited by Buck Beach -- 3/13/2012 7:39:17 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 3/13/2012 8:02:11 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Is this necessarily a bad thing given the conciseness that there is, too much supply in the game with too little spoilage? I'm not smart enough to figure a way to manage by using this concept and I am just throwing it out as food for thought.

Buck

No, no - not a bad thing at all. What I mean is that if you have been playing a game without the stacking limits, then switch the pwhex files to start using the stacking limits, you might get caught flat footed in places where you had already amassed too many troops.

We're using stacking limits in two PBMs I'm playing, and I love the stacking limits. They do change the tactics (and strategy to some degree). You must pay attention to them, and the effect on the game is good.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 4
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 3/13/2012 10:35:26 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Yes you can. The stacking limits are completely contained in the trio of pwhex files, and the pwhex files are read in when the program runs. The code does check to see if a saved game had the same pwhex data as the program just loaded (when you started the program), so you will get a warning message about that.

So the procedure is as easy as just copying in the right pwhex files, ie the ones with the stacking limits. Be advised that the have pwhex files for:
- Stock map with 'regular' stacking limits (meaning just atolls and islands);
- Stock map with 'optional' stacking limits (meaning all hexes);
- Extended map with 'regular' stacking limits (meaning just atolls and islands);
- Extended map with 'optional' stacking limits (meaning all hexes);

So you can be using the Stock map with or without the optional stacking limits, or the Extended map with or without the optional stacking limits. Just pick the correct pwhex files.

Thanks WITPQS, Stupid me I thought stacking was included in the latest patch until NYG wrote me and informed me otherwise.
I appreaciate your help. Assuming my partner and I are in agreement is it correct that player one adds the pwhex files with his part of the turn first or does sequence matter at all?

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 3/13/2012 10:36:31 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 3/14/2012 1:04:19 AM   
witpqs

I would go with the same routine as with upgrades - player 1 first then player 2 before he loads that turn. I'm not certain if it matters but just to be safe.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 6
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/26/2012 9:37:42 PM   
sj80

Hello,

I was searching the forum about information of DaBabes stacking limits and found this thread. Terje and I have an ongoing PBEM game with standard scenario 1 and are in February 1942.
Is my understanding correct, that we can apply the AE Stack Limits to an ongoing game in the same way like a standard update?
Is there any possibility to see the stacking limits on land hexes without bases? How is the extra supply consume calculated for an over stacked hex? I want to get a feeling about how much more supply is consumed.

Sebastian

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/26/2012 10:03:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: sj80

Hello,

I was searching the forum about information of DaBabes stacking limits and found this thread. Terje and I have an ongoing PBEM game with standard scenario 1 and are in February 1942.
Is my understanding correct, that we can apply the AE Stack Limits to an ongoing game in the same way like a standard update?
Is there any possibility to see the stacking limits on land hexes without bases? How is the extra supply consume calculated for an over stacked hex? I want to get a feeling about how much more supply is consumed.

Sebastian

The stacking limits are contained in the set of three files that make up what people refer to as the pwhex data. You must have at least a certain version of the latest patch series. The latest patch is the best one to use for various reasons anyway, so just go with that. There are stacking limit files for the standard map (which you said you are using) and for the extended map. Make sure you get the right one for your map.

You can apply stacking limits to ongoing games. See the posts above.

You can see the stacking limits for non-base hexes by selecting the hex in question (put the mouse pointer on it and click). Then you will see the stacking limit somewhere in the top status line of the game.

I don't recall if they released the exact formula. Basically, if you over stack a little the penalty is small. The more you over stack the bigger the penalty. If you over stack a lot, the penalty is HUGE.

The penalty is taken out after combat (during the supply phase, IIRC). So if you fly in supplies or ship in supplies that unload the same turn, those supplies can be used for combat to try and capture the base before the penalty is applied for that turn.

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 8
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/27/2012 6:20:11 AM   
sj80

Hello witpqs,

thanks for clarifying my questions! I have missed the stacking limit display in the top status line. It seems the stacking limit will make the land combat much more interesting.

Sebastian

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/28/2012 8:07:11 AM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Buck

That could be some long-term problem for Japan, as it does not have much supply surplus.
But potentially, it would slow down Allies in late game, as they will need to haul more supply to front, to repay for overstacked assaults in Burma/DEI/China.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 10
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/31/2012 4:17:53 PM   
cavalry

I like the stacking map but what is the penalty for overstacking???

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 11
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/31/2012 6:11:40 PM   
John 3rd

LOVE the Stacking Limits!

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 12
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/31/2012 6:31:09 PM   
Mundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

LOVE the Stacking Limits!

Yep. Definitely a whole new game with them. You can't just use the usual areas as dumping grounds for bunches of troops.

Ed-

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 13
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/31/2012 10:24:33 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

I like the stacking map but what is the penalty for overstacking???

Increased supply consumption.

Alfred

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 14
RE: AE Stacking Limits? - 7/31/2012 10:58:10 PM   
Dan Nichols

Add another ++1 to those who love the stacking limits. Really helps make China the backwater is should be.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> AE Stacking Limits? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI