Railroad cap and CC

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Remlhar

Railroad cap and CC

Post by Remlhar »

I have only just recently started playing this game and have a couple of questions.

I started a Soviet GC from the 1941 scenario and for the last few turns the railroad cap was around the 40,000 mark. On turn 12 this dropped to 13,000. Is this normal? I didnt lose any cities on the previous turn.

Also,my CC for the army HQ's has dropped to 21. Is this a bug or some command restructuring that I missed from the manual? I am playing with the game patched to 1.06.04

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments
CC.jpg
CC.jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Walloc

RE: Railroad cap and CC

Post by Walloc »

Hi,

About CC from patch notes:

V1.05.59 – January 31, 2012

Rule Change (section 7.6.2.2) - Changes to Command Capacity:
a. Stavka and OKH now have infinite command capacity (they will never be considered overloaded). This is shown on screen as a command limit of 999.
b. Soviet Army Command Capacity is changed as follows: 6/41-8/41 – 24 9/41-3/42 – 21 4/42-9/45 – 18
c. Soviet Tank Army Command Capacity is changed to 15.

About RR cap, its hard to be very specific with out knowing all facts(lost RR cap), but both numbers are very low.
Until u start to lose cities for real ur RR cap should be around 145.000. Tho u prolly lost some cities and in turn rail capacity by turn 12 non the less it should be significantly higher than both 40k and 13k.
Possible reasons and prolly why u see the shortfall this turn is that units starting the turn in RR mode counts against the RR cap. So if u have a lot of units ending the turn in RR mode ur RR cap will be reduced from start of next turn by what ever RR cap those units use. In particular if those units are on refit u might even see those units RR cap usage explode from 1 turn to next. So if it has 1000 men in it in turn X using 120 RR cap and is on refit and end turn in RR mode. Next turn since it starts in RR mode it uses RR cap, but now it has 10k men in it and uses up maybe 900 RR cap. Multiply that by a number of units and u losing alot of potential RR capacity.
One of the tricks of the trade to max evac and RR cap i find is not to end with units in RR mode unless its necesarry/ u sure u would RR those units on the next turn. If that means u hafta stop short and walk the rest of the way for a turn or 2 it might be worth it to save RR cap.
Another thing could be Evacing factories. If u start ur turn by evacing note that, that eats up RR cap fast.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

Remlhar

Post by Remlhar »

Thanks Walloc, that explains it. Missed those patch notes, and I do tend to keep a lot of units on the train.
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: Remlhar

Thanks Walloc, that explains it. Missed those patch notes, and I do tend to keep a lot of units on the train.

Every one ofc plays differently and has every right too, but ill say its bad pratice. To give a clue. In the AAR section there is a thread of Speedy's game vs me. Sorry I have no AAR, i hate writing! We at turn 7 now and so far apart from the first 2 turns with reduced RR cap, i havent started a turn so far with less than 140.000 RR cap. I think u can imagien the difference in evacs between our games if u have 40/13k RR cap and i have 140k. Does it come at a price, sure, but i still rail what i need railed.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

pompack

Post by pompack »

Don't forget that anyone left in rail mode at the end of a turn subtracts from the rail allowance in the NEXT turn. A large move (about 80k) left in rail mode will drop a "normal" 130k level to 50k before you can do anything on the next turn.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”