Finally

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Remmes

Finally

Post by Remmes »

I bit the financial bullit and bought CO BFTB and HTTR. Looking very much forward to immerse myself in these theaters.
Dusted of a couple of books on the subjects and will make a visit to the corridor from Joe's bridge to the bridge too far at Arnhem. About 45 minutes from where I live. the Ardennes will be next if i can find a good excuse to take my family there.
henri51

RE: Finally

Post by henri51 »

Today I dug out my old copy of the video of the movie "A bridge too far", which I have seen multiple times. I intend to watch it again later tonight.I haven't bought the new HTTR yet, but this may push me over the edge.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: henri51

Today I dug out my old copy of the video of the movie "A bridge too far", which I have seen multiple times. I intend to watch it again later tonight.I haven't bought the new HTTR yet, but this may push me over the edge.

I bought a blu ray copy of a Bridge Too Far a while back. It's one of my favorite WWII movies. I've been saving it to watch while I play the HTTR expansion.

Rick
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

ORIGINAL: henri51

I haven't bought the new HTTR yet, but this may push me over the edge.
Last sunday my wife drove back across the Nijmegen bridge after a visit to relatives who live in Lent. When I saw the Nijmegen skyline and the lights a the power station where 504 pir made the crossing of the Waal I was sold. Had to have HTTR.
Lived in Arnhem for a couple of years, will go back there soon to 'breathe' the atmosphere again. My plan is to drive through the corridor from Joe's bridge all the way to Arnhem. If I am able to take some worthwhile pictures I will post them here. Picking up a copy of a brige too far to get in the mood might be a good idea.
blastpop

Post by blastpop »

Is it the same bridge Ramses? Or has it been replaced since the battle?
Mark
henri51

Post by henri51 »

ORIGINAL: blastpop

Is it the same bridge Ramses? Or has it been replaced since the battle?

It was blown up by the Allies later in the war.

(edit) Sorry I meant the Arnhem bridge which was bombed and destroyed by the Allies .
tukker

Post by tukker »

The bridge across the river Waal at Nijmegen is the original one, it wasn't blown by the Allies.

The first bridge was built in 1936, but blown by the Dutch in 1940. The Germans rebuilt it, and it was open for traffic from 1943 onward.

Pieter
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

ORIGINAL: tukker

The bridge across the river Waal at Nijmegen is the original one, it wasn't blown by the Allies.

The first bridge was built in 1936, but blown by the Dutch in 1940. The Germans rebuilt it, and it was open for traffic from 1943 onward.

Pieter

The Germans did send in some diver teams to try and blow the bridge, but they did not succeed. Although I am not a particular bridge lover, I must say it is a good-looking bridge. The view onto the city of Nijmegen when coming from the north is quite beautiful.
emeg

Post by emeg »

Pieter

I am sorry to deny this, but the second bridge became ready and opened for traffic in August 1944, other sources say the bridge was open for traffic early September 1944.

Further, historians say that the middle section of Arnhem boatbridge, provisional replacing the in May 1940 destroyed trafficbridge, was dismantled in the first week of September 1944. This is questionable. Aerial photo's, made by the RAF, prove that the Arnhem boatbridge was still intact on 10 September 1944, thus one week before the start of Operation Market Garden. Therefore was this boatbridge, located just east of the Rhine harbour inlet "Oude Kraan" one of the objects for B Coy of John Frost's battalion.

In the battleplan of John Forst's battalion was written; "The task given to the 2nd Battalion was:- To seize the three Bridges over the RHINE at ARNHEM."

These three!! bridges were (1) the railroad bridge near Oosterbeek, (2) the main traffic bridge of Arnhem (code name Waterloo) AND (3) the Arnhem boatbridge (codename "Putney")

And further was in the battleplan written; "On reaching the Boat Bridge, B Company were to seize the Bridge, and hold it as the left flank of the Battalion sector in Phase 11."

See; http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/war_2ndBatt.htm
and (in Dutch) https://sites.google.com/site/freedomtr ... y%E2%80%99

There are contradictional battle reports, and contradictional eyewitness accounts too, regarding the existence or not existence of the still useable Arnhem boatbridge in the evening of 17 September 1944.

Another question that historians probably ignore. Why were the available boats, laying along the Rhine Quay and in the Oude Kraan harbour, during the evening of 17 September not used by some of John Frost's troops to cross the Rhine River in an attempt to take the south ramp of the traffic bridge? These boats of various size were visible on RAF aerial photo's made on 19 september 1944.

Why are these mysteries not sufficient (enough) exposed by the historians?
Greetings, emeg.
tukker

Post by tukker »

Emeg,

I believe you are confusing the bridge across the Rhine at Arnhem (now called John Frostbrug) and the bridge across the river Waal at Nijmegen.
Both were blown in May 1940. The Waalbrug was opened for traffic in 1943, the Rijnbrug in August or September 1944.

Pieter

Return to “Command Ops Series”