Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is Next for this Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: What is Next for this Game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/10/2012 2:41:44 PM   
DOCUP

What we need is a Gary G. to stop by and read some posts.  Bitter Glory was a game that was suppose to encompase WW 2.  It has been shelved so people could work on another title.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 31
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/10/2012 2:57:47 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

quote:

Just trying to sort out passwords would be a nightmare in itself if there was more than two players involved. ).

Well my point is that AE would be a 'real-time game' --> meaning 1 day of time is 1 day in the war

players only have a specific command (either separate CW/USAAF/USN and IJN/IJA or by theatre)

passwords would not be required, player only has access to the units under his command

and there are no save files, the game is running in real time in the background

player can schedule a webcam meeting to discuss strategy (the debates would slow the rate of operations )

.... all of this with AE's level of detail and the same mechanics (not some cheap 3D action game)

and if you are sleeping, you read the combat reports in the morning (nimitz and yamamoto too had to sleep right? )

..then there are the battles.. just like in AE but they pop up once the action is joined..

*all quiet on the pacific front*

... suddenly " 120 x B6N2, 162 x A6M2 approaching TF... "..

no way to skip through the result, have to watch in agony.. explain to the USAAF why reinforcements to AUS will be delayed
due to the impending defeat.. at the same time, in another window, a battle rages at rangoon - CW player suggests to send
supplies to burma, a lot safer than to AUS, USAAF player disagrees... *now we understand what is meant by WW2 politics*

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 32
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/10/2012 7:46:31 PM   
ilovestrategy

It wouldn't work for me. I really have no interest in the European theater. Only Pacific for me. It's hard to imagine a more detailed game than this one. Maybe require the paint to be chipped on each ship.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 33
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/10/2012 11:14:20 PM   
Keifer

I think the underlying game engine is great.

I'd love to see some UI enhancements to reduce micromanagement.

One idea would be to create Land and Air "Task Forces". Essentially allowing a player to group land units and air groups in larger groups that could be moved, shipped, and have issues orders together. But let the battles resolve using the current engine.

Unfortunately, i expect this would be a major refactoring.

Old School Midway Fanboy

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 34
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/11/2012 10:43:44 AM   
ilovestrategy

Keifer, I like your forum sig.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Keifer)
Post #: 35
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/11/2012 2:50:39 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keifer

I think the underlying game engine is great.

Then I have to assume you've never seen the code. Everyone who has pretty much describes it as an unravelable tangle where nothing can be touched without pulling on several other seemingly unrelated lines. I agree with whomeveer said it would have to be re-written from the ground up before any major improvement could be made to the game....

(in reply to Keifer)
Post #: 36
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/11/2012 6:11:00 PM   
Commander Stormwolf

The system is quite good, a lot better than WITP.
It has been improved much since WITP.

The main change from WITP was a reduction of gun range from 500 yards per unit to 100 yards per unit (reduced air bloodiness)

the amusing observation is that.. the results obtained by the game Carrier Strike seemed to be quite good and historical

.. as it is i am generally satisfied with the overall AE results (though still complain about the relative results between ac types)

"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 37
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/12/2012 6:00:54 PM   
kaleun

My only concern is: Will it work on the upcoming windows 8 or will we have to keep an extra laptop just for this game?

And yes, a WITP 2, so long as they don't trade detail and playability for eye candy is a definite buy for me.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Commander Stormwolf)
Post #: 38
RE: What is Next for this Game - 3/13/2012 5:20:52 PM   
Ranger5355

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

One of us has to hit the lottery and finance a game that would cost more than it returns in sales. I hereby pledge my future windfall

Me too - I pledge Ranger5355's future windfall!

I concur with my Argletonian colleague. After the international fly-in kegger that he sponsors, I believe that Ranger5355's fortune could be put to good use in this manner.

Single malt will be supplied

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: What is Next for this Game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI