Serious Help Required

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

shunwick

Serious Help Required

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

Please tallk me out of buying this game.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Igard

RE: Serious Help Required

Post by Igard »

Perhaps a Jedi mind trick would work.

tjhkkr (our resident Jedi here on the Matrix forums) could do it. But I doubt he will.[:D]

Seriously though, if you're a fan of 4x games like Moo2, this game is a must play. It's totally worth it to satisfy all your galactic empire building needs. [;)]
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Igard,

Do you really think that was a good attempt to talk me out of buying the thing? [:)]

You are too late anyway...

Best wishes,
Steve
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

You do not need to buy this game. [Waving fingers for Jedi mind trick]
You want to save money. [Waving fingers for Jedi mind trick]
You want to join this forum and play this game [Waving fingers for Jedi mind trick]... wait... wait... wait... I am sorry, I messed up...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

tjhhrr,

Well, that was at least 2/3rds of a better atttempt but still much too late. [:)]

I do have a question though. I have bought Distant Worlds plus the Return of the Wotsits plus Legends. I didn't really want to get the two expansion packs just yet but they were on special offer. I only intend to install Distant Worlds for the moment. I shall leave the expansions uninstalled.

Now the Distant Worlds download was v1060 and I have downloaded the v1070 and v1071 update/patch thingies.

If I patch the game up to 1071 is it then ok to install Return of the Wotsits on top of that at a later date? And do I need to install Return of the Wotsits update v1508 when I do install it?

I hope that makes sense.

Best wishes,
Steve
Igard

Post by Igard »

I must admit, shunwick, it was never my intention to talk you down! Image Welcome to the game. [:)]

You can install each expansion over any version of the previous one. Just be sure to check for updates from the launcher once you've got the expansion you want.

However, I would say, just install all the expansions. The only major differences are an improved interface from RotS (wotsits), a new characters system from Legends, and a checkbox list on the game setup screen allowing you to choose which combination of story modes you want to use from each expansion.

Basically, there's no reason to play the original if you've got the expansions. [:)]
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Igard,

I had an inkling that your heart wasn't in it.

I thought that the expansions were sort of chapters... and OMG it's waaay past my bedtime. Chat tomorrow - I mean later today...

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Scotland eh? I am a Geordie but living in deepest and darkest Essex.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Dear Shunwick;

As most of my fellow DW forum members know (at least a few of them, including the Jedi) I
don't use 'mind tricks', 'cargo bay incursions', or other far-fetched things to manipulate
people. I DO use a 'mild' face-stretching technique though when necessary.

Now in YOUR case, I feel it necessary to share with you what you'll look like if you spend time playing DW without the two expansions that you stated you now own.

{You DON'T want to look like this once you realize what you would miss playing just Vanilla DW} [:D]
Attachments
AdmiralDo..ys_death.jpg
AdmiralDo..ys_death.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 301 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Xervitus

Post by Xervitus »

This is a good reason

accidently put it as reply to eshumerell1, wont let me change/delete
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Xervitus,

Waaaaaaaay tooooo late!

Best wishes,
Steve
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ehsumrell1,

That is one good looking dude. You have me sold on DW without the expansions for now.

The thing is I have been a sci-fi nut for longer than I care to remember and if there is one thing I have learnt it is that when someone promises the ruturn of the wotsits it means bad news for any fledgling empire that I might be building.

I was hoping to delay my introduction to the (hang on, let me look it up.... I can't keep calling them Wotsits) Shakturi.

If I understand the blurb on the patches correctly the v1.0.7.1 patch will bring the base game up to Return of the Shakturi standard but without the expansion content.

Best wishes,
Steve
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Be scared, be very scared... 

Seriously the expansions are much better than the original. 

You can play with the storylines turned off and never encounter those things which make you hide under the bed.  Actually a better game that way... although for reasons other than 'them who we shall not name' except to say that they are 'returning'.

Anyway in nearly all my RotS games they never showed up.  [;)]
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

Lazy Shakturi...
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

That sounds like a good enough reason to install the expansions.

I might as well take the plunge since it appears to be the general consensus. Many thanks to everyone.

Best wishes,
Steve

Texashawk

Post by Texashawk »

This actually looks amazing. I thought I was well-informed about pretty much every strategy/4X/space combat game going; how did THIS slip by the net?

ORIGINAL: Xervitus

This is a good reason

accidently put it as reply to eshumerell1, wont let me change/delete
Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Shunwick,

Welcome to Distant Worlds! Definitely install the expansions (ROTS first, then Legends) and then update Legends. You can turn off the Storyline and the Legends events if you want an easier game, it's really very customizable but you will still benefit from all the other expansion improvements.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Shunwick, my friend. I hope by this time you have installed original DW and it's two expansions (+ 1.7.0.12 beta patch). Listen to the forum members when they explain why this is the only choice to make. In my opinion, at least a quarter of the game's improvement and enjoyment comes from the three together. Welcome to Distant Worlds and let us know how things turn out for your investment in this game.

FoM
Old............but very fast
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

I have everything installed up to Legends plus the latest patch and I am now working my way through the manual, the galactopaedia, and some really good videos in the AAR section as well as trying out some stuff on a "poke this and see what happens" basis. I never realized that this game was so flexible. It has a dazzling array of options. Not complaining. Having fun!

Best wishes,
Steve

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”