Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/6/2012 12:49:22 AM   
Crimguy

Does the Ai just mull about once it's scripted portions are done, or does it put up a reasonable fight when put on the defensive?

RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/6/2012 1:47:37 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

Does the Ai just mull about once it's scripted portions are done, or does it put up a reasonable fight when put on the defensive?

It can depend a great deal on what you've done up to that point. In one game I played against the Japanese AI using the Fortress Java strategy the AI lost a great deal of tonnage in botched landing attempts. By 1943 it was putting lots of troops into areas not the least bit threatened, and completely abandoning others. This with a lot of meandering and pointless surface ship activity which got wiped out from the air. I couldn't make much sense of it.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/7/2012 4:06:19 AM   
zzodr

Yeah I found it kind of goes to sleep mid '43.
Then again, most of it's major surface vessels have been resting on the bottom since then. 

(in reply to Torplexed)
Post #: 3
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/7/2012 3:10:59 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

The AI does a fair job for about 8 months as the Japanese..., which is almost 350 turns. Then it's only fun for the "Puppy Kickers". But don't blame Andy until you can name three other wargames where the AI plays even 250 turns competently.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 4
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/7/2012 3:16:40 PM   
Treetop64

How about switching the question. How does the AI do as Allied from 43-45?

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 5
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/7/2012 7:09:26 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

How about switching the question. How does the AI do as Allied from 43-45?

From what I have heard, poorly. The AI seems to have problems assembling the large groups of TFs necessary for effective amphibious assaults against well defended bases.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 6
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/7/2012 11:44:37 PM   
Treetop64

Instead of scripting, it'd be nice if the AI generated some "if-then" strings. Could make things more interesting for the human-vs-AI player.

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 7
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/8/2012 12:03:03 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Yes. (Pick 'em.)

The Japanese AI has scripted objectives and some trigger events which give a good game in the first year or more. This is about all you need. Many players don't realize that most of the "AI" is in the exec file, not the scripts. On defense most of what the Allied human player will see are .exe moves. The AI stops trying to expand and seeks to defend and resupply: build forts, run ASW, move cargo home, CAP and sweep. These are all .exe functions. The Allied player has to bring to war to the AI after early mid-game, and the AI defends pretty well. It won't do any gambits or broad sweeps to encircle or anything (although there are lots of naval raids and other goodies Andy built in), but it will stand and fight and it does well with low supply and its LCUs keep morale. To some extent the Allied player is playing the clock, trying to get to an auto-vic before the historical date. If you want a Japanese player to try to take India you need to find a human opponent, however.

Anyone who thinks 1943-46 are a cakewalk hasn't finished a GC yet.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 3/8/2012 12:15:00 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 8
RE: Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? - 3/8/2012 7:28:31 PM   
Ranger5355

Lately I play the allies until my points score overcomes the Japanese points sometime in '43, record the date and start over trying to beat it. I find the early war challenging but late in game I think I need a human player. Maybe it's time to take the plunge.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Curious - what does the AI do in 43-45? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI