Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied - 3/5/2012 4:37:05 PM   
miya

Hallo,

I played this scenario several times now and still I am not able to get the desired result. I want at least one battalion holding the northern part of the road bridge. In my previous attempts I failed to achieve that. I am not getting my troops even near the bridge.
The settings were historical reinforcement schedules for both sides and realistic order delay.
First I shall explan my plan. The troops of the first day have the following orders.
1st, 2nd and 3rd Para Bn will move fast into Arnhem centre and capture the road bridge. They use three differents routes and meet at the bridge.
Borders Bn will capture and defend the rail bridge.
KOSB will defend Renkum for the next two days.
Staffords Bn will secure and defend Groote Heide and Amsterdamsche Weg.
Tasks of the glider pilots are Wolfheze, Utrecht Weg, Oosterbeek and block some roads on the northern flank.
If this all works according to plan, and until now it never did, then the troops of the second day have the task to establish a connection to Arnhem centre and secure the flanks of the perimeter.

Where is the mistake in my thoughts. Should I change some order settings ?
Has anyone managed to occupy the road bridge and hold it for the first three days ? The next question would be how is it possible.
Post #: 1
RE: Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied - 3/5/2012 6:42:41 PM   
nate25

Hi miya,

Arnhem's a tough nut in this game. I haven't played the Red Devils scenario yet, But I'm trying to get through "The Meuse to the Rhine" scenario.

There are several here who have talked about how to get into Arnhem and take the bridge. Some say don't drag your support units in your assault bns. along, I say it's a little about timing (as in send a force for the AI to focus on, then send another unit on a different route somewhat later). It's probably a combination of both, but I am still experimenting.

Don't despair. It's a toughie. Wish I had better tips to share but we'll figure out soon.

Thanks,
Nate

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 2
RE: Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied - 3/5/2012 7:13:16 PM   
simovitch

Yes it's about route and timing, and moving in column fastest, quickest until you get near the bridge and switch to avoidance route. Sometimes it pays to reorg at the LZ's and sometimes it doesn't. Also using your other Battalions to draw the Germans away from the City while you sneak in along the riverfront road.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Attachment (1)

simovitch

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 3
RE: Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied - 3/6/2012 9:03:49 AM   
miya

In most cases I get caught by german troops in West Arnhem. How to sneak past a german unit once it is detected ? Move with minimum aggro and bypass activated does not always help.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 4
RE: Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied - 3/9/2012 11:34:40 PM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: miya

Hallo,

I played this scenario several times now and still I am not able to get the desired result. I want at least one battalion holding the northern part of the road bridge. In my previous attempts I failed to achieve that. I am not getting my troops even near the bridge.
The settings were historical reinforcement schedules for both sides and realistic order delay.
First I shall explan my plan. The troops of the first day have the following orders.
1st, 2nd and 3rd Para Bn will move fast into Arnhem centre and capture the road bridge. They use three differents routes and meet at the bridge.
Borders Bn will capture and defend the rail bridge.
KOSB will defend Renkum for the next two days.
Staffords Bn will secure and defend Groote Heide and Amsterdamsche Weg.
Tasks of the glider pilots are Wolfheze, Utrecht Weg, Oosterbeek and block some roads on the northern flank.
If this all works according to plan, and until now it never did, then the troops of the second day have the task to establish a connection to Arnhem centre and secure the flanks of the perimeter.

Where is the mistake in my thoughts. Should I change some order settings ?
Has anyone managed to occupy the road bridge and hold it for the first three days ? The next question would be how is it possible.

All plans end with the first contact with the enemy, or something like that!

I dont believe there is a perfect plan, some are better than others but there isnt a "perfect opening gambit"

I would suggest having a reserve force, at least a Bn strong, ready to get through a gap one of your main thrusts might uncover.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to miya)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Red Devils over Arnhem the first three days - Allied Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI