Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Civil War playtest

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Russian Civil War playtest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Civil War playtest - 3/4/2012 11:47:03 PM   
Odenathus

There isn't a comprehensive scenario covering this quite complicated war: I'm working on a corps/division scale version in two week turns covering from the start of 1919 to mid-1921. This includes the period from the consolidation of the White and Nationalist counter-revolutionary forces and their 'Moscow offensive' through the gradual withdrawal of the Allied Interventionist armies and the final Bolshevik offensive against Poland.

Jason (Raver's)playtesting with me: these thumbnails show the situation in September 1919 - historically the Whites had begun to crumble and most of the Interventionists had withdrawn.

On the Northwestern Front the Bolsheviks have occupied Estonia and the Latvian capital Riga. Lithuanian and Latvian units are still holding the line of the River Daugava. The Poles have just recaptured Minsk, isolating one Red corps. The French, Greeks, Serbs and US units have already withdrawn but the British Royal Navy and a couple of brigades are still in action.

In the south the Poles hold Kiev, and the troops of the two Ukrainian Republics are defending the southern line of the River Dneiper against mixed Bolshevik and Anarchist units. Deniken's main White armies in the south are defending the Don, with Baron Wrangel occupying Donetsk, but strong Bolshevik forces are edging round their right flank towards the White capital Ekaterindor. The Caucasian republics are still independent, although small Red cavalry regiments are approaching Azerbaijan and Georgia.

In the east both Admiral Kolchak's Whites and the other Siberians are maintaining their foothold over the Urals but several large Bolshevik armies are converging on Chelyabinsk. The loss of this city will force the West Siberians back across the Urals and out of the game: the loss of Ekaterinburg to the north will do the same for Kolchak's troops. You can just see the British Dvina flotilla looking fairly lonely on the river.

Haven't bothered showing the north, but Miller's Whites comfortably hold both Archangel and Murmansk. However their push, in tandem with the British, against St Petersburg has stalled and a retreat north will have to start soon. The Bolsheviks haven't, so far, taken the TO to declare war on Finland (which they didn't until WWII).

This is about a quarter of the way through the scenario and still counts as a White/Nationalist marginal victory (it starts as a significant victory).

Welcome any questions or comments.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 3/4/2012 11:52:29 PM   
Odenathus

Southern Front

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Odenathus)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 3/4/2012 11:53:53 PM   
Odenathus

Siberian Front

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Odenathus)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 3/5/2012 12:07:46 AM   
governato

Fun, can you tell us more about the scenario design? Tx!

(in reply to Odenathus)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 3/6/2012 1:49:42 AM   
Odenathus

Always been interested in the Russian Revolution and the resulting war, and wondered whether it could be made into a reasonable game. I wanted to cover the whole scope of the fighting, but reluctantly decided that it just wasn't possible to include anything east of the Urals. The fighting there was largely confined to the towns along the Trans-Siberian Railway, but to include that vast area all the way to Vladivostok would mean the area west of the Urals being too small. I used a map originally designed for an ultra-modern game called 'Armageddon 2000' by Frederic Jousse: it needed a lot of trimming to exclude western and central Europe, and obviously the cities, railways, vegetation,etc had to be redrawn. Corps/division/brigade level made it mobile enough for different fronts to be identified and fought over, but prevented a WWI style continuous line of units, which never developed. In any case, really detailed, accurate OOBs are almost impossible to come by, so an FitE style game wasn't feasible. Most of the equipment was WWI vintage, so there was no need to create a separate eqp. file. The timescale was a problem - there was fighting in Russia from the October 1917 Revolution onwards, but a lot of it was very smale-scale and sporadic. By 1919 the Whites had become organised, most of the Interventionist forces had landed, and the Nationalists had consolidated their grip, so that seemed an appropriate starting point. I wanted it to carry on until mid-1921 to cover the period of the final Bolshevik attack against Poland, which was an important war in itself (someone has designed an interesting scenario covering it). Initial playtesting showed that weekly turns led to the largely unmotorised infantry forces moving too slowly to make it interesting, or to carry out flanking manouevres, and meant that the scenario would have run to over a hundred turns, which was too long. The war very broadly consisted of White and Nationalist forces on the periphery of the former Czarist Empire either trying to move towards the centre - the Moscow and St. Petersburg region - or, for the Nationalists, at least trying to retain independence for those peripheral areas, so the PO objectives weren't too difficult. Independent air units were just about justified, although they had little effect, and the small numbers of tanks and armoured cars were never used en masse, so they could be included in the infantry and cavalry units. I lumped most of the heavy artillery and engineers, etc, into large HQ units. There are House Rules and formation restrictions to prevent Whites and Nationalists cooperating. The Anarchists in the Ukraine initially side with the Reds, but the two-player and PO games allow for this alliance to collapse, as it did historically. There are also historical events in the form of the Red's Kronstadt garrison mutinying, the peasant Tambov Rebellion, the Baltic Germans changing sides and the Interventionist forces gradually withdrawing. If I can get the play balance right some players may find it interesting, although I appreciate that it won't appeal to those who enjoy large armoured sweeps, or who like to use really accurate and detailed OOBs.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 3/6/2012 10:08:35 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Odenathus

Most of the equipment was WWI vintage, so there was no need to create a separate eqp.

IIRC there is already a Russian Civil War equipment database out there. It might be worth hunting down.

quote:

If I can get the play balance right some players may find it interesting, although I appreciate that it won't appeal to those who enjoy large armoured sweeps, or who like to use really accurate and detailed OOBs.

Odenathus,

Well, you will never be able to satisfy everyone but I think you will find enough people who will be interested in playing it. I know I am. Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Odenathus)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 4/8/2012 4:50:57 PM   
Odenathus

After fairly extensive playtesting posted this as a new TOAW scenario:

large-scale scenario covering the Russian Civil War between 1919 - mid 1921. Corps/division level, seventy fortnightly turns, map stretches from Murmansk and Archangel in the north, to eastern Poland, the Caucasus, and the Urals. PO for both sides but best against a human opponent. Broadly speaking the campaigns (historically only partially successful) by the Bolsheviks to expand from their central Russian base and restore control over all or most of the former Tsarist Empire. Reds, Whiltes, Nationalists, Allied Interventionist forces, peasants, Turks, Anarchists and Freikorps, both of the latter liable to change sides. Land, sea and air units, in that order of importance. Winter, rain, mud weather effects. Thanks to Jason ('Raver') for his help with playtesting, any remaining faults are mine.

Welcome any comments or criticism.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 4/8/2012 5:30:09 PM   
shauny1987

I'm certainly going to try this!

If I can figure out where the scenario is

< Message edited by shauny1987 -- 4/8/2012 5:31:03 PM >

(in reply to Odenathus)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 4/8/2012 10:16:15 PM   
shunwick

shauny1987,

Odenathus, aka Mark Stevens, has posted the scenario over at Gamesquad.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to shauny1987)
Post #: 9
RE: Russian Civil War playtest - 4/8/2012 11:47:12 PM   
shauny1987

Ah. Found it now.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Russian Civil War playtest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI