So, I played Joe's bridge through 5 times. All on realistic delay standard options etc,. as Allies.
First 4 basically commanded at Bn level and tried all sorts of things. I used arty under direct control, gave staged objectives etc, thought hard about it, separated off towed units from attack formations, placed all the air strikes myself, tried all sorts of variations.... All 4 times I got a marginal Vic and could never take La Colonie. I got really pissed off with the AI because it all looked pathetic - couldn't imbue the relevant sense of urgency at all.
So, fifth time I gave only 5 orders the entire scenario.
1. Clicked on map boss (Guards HQ), clicked Attack, placed the marker on the far side of the bridge, touched nothing else, ran it. The AI put together a beautiful 3 pronged attack with elements providing suppressing fire from near the zinc factory and 2 other formations attacking from each road in. Took the bridge by morning Day 2. So, I gave order 2.
2. Clicked on on map boss again, again clicked attack, placed marker over La Colonie, touched nothing else. AI took La Colonie by morning Day 3. At this point I got slightly worried about my rear, so I gave order 3.
3. Gave A.2IR the command to go back over and Defend De Groote Barrier. Touched nothing else. It did this splendidly. I then got worried about losing the Joe's Bridge objective, as everything was fighting up in La Colonie, so I gave order 4.
4. Detached a mortar platoon to Defend Joe's Bridge. Since there were a lot of enemeny north of La Colonie and I had time to spare I then gave order 5, my final order.
5. I moved the attack objective from La Colonie to the middle of the bulk of the enemy nth of La Colonie. They were duly engaged and the scenario ended as below......