Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

China Air task Force - Da Big Babes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> China Air task Force - Da Big Babes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 1:15:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Not sure if I have to start the thread on this section of the forum. Sorry if this is wrong place The truth is the question is related to a scenario, the Da Big Babes thing.

Well, I am receiving some American Base Forces (for example the 308 Base Force) in Southeast Asia. They are attached to the China Task Force command thing. Now... are they supposed to go to China itself (as per "history", design of the scenario) or these bases could be in either China and somewhere in the Indo-Burmese border? Right now the route is open but the Base Forces which will be arriving later will necessarily find the route closed. Soooo, should they stay in the Indo-Burmese border, despite the "China" thing on them? Or should I airdrop them in China and the big items should march (through enemy territory, Burma)?

Thanks in advance

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King
Post #: 1
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 2:04:57 PM   
JWE

Those Base Groups can really go anywhere. Only reason 308th Base Group was tagged to China was because the 308th Bomb Group went to China. It's more for fun accounting than anything else. You can use them Indo-Burma, or wherever. If the HQ name thing is a bit jarring, there's no restrictions on any of the units, so they are easily reassignable if you want to keep accountability.

Do agree that we should find a better way of getting aviation support units into China, especially after Burma closes down.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 2:28:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

JWE, your aviation support Base Forces concept is really elegant! On vanilla we had abstract base forces, here each air group (well, almost) has its own aviation support.

As for aviation support getting into China perhaps after x date (when Burma is supposed to be in Japanese hands) the units should auto-magically arrive in China. If that makes sense, of course.

Your scenario is a joy

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 3
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 2:29:48 PM   
John 3rd

"auto-magically?" The created word made PERFECT sense to me.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 4
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 3:24:27 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

A friend of mine used that term a lot, along with the related acronym "FM".

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 3:33:42 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I have used "auto-magically" (as opposed to automatically) because I don't know how allied personel got to China once Burma Road was closed. Land route: in theory they didn't enter China via the USSR. And the Himalayas... As for air, there were the famous transports. Still, what about big stuff: radar, motorized support, etc.?

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 3/4/2012 3:36:52 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 6:11:10 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
As for aviation support getting into China perhaps after x date (when Burma is supposed to be in Japanese hands) the units should auto-magically arrive in China. If that makes sense, of course.

Your scenario is a joy

Makes total sense. And thanks; we're really glad you hate it so much Knowing how the code is supposed to work and actually seeing things in practice are two completely different things. Comments like yours are highly appreciated.

What I'm thinking is having, perhaps, half the actual airgroups that went to China - show up in China; in one of the Western bases so they can get redeployed at a player's convenience. The other half will have to be flown over the hump (if that's what a player wishes to do), or not (if a player wants to just blow off China altogether). That has two implications for the base support units.

For the airgroups that automagically show up, their base support units should automagically show up too. The conceptual justification is that instead of humping tons of bombs, a group is humping tons of tool boxes, spare magnetos, cases of oil, and a bushel of freezing mechanics. Now that means that support units show up with only "squad" type devices; AvSup, Sup, maybe some Engs. The other 'heavy' stuff is still in the TO&E, but just not in the unit. To get the heavy stuff, one needs to click on the 'take replacements' and that stuff will eventually get added in from supply - kinda like a piece-part delivery from a supply chain abstraction, yeah?

And for the groups that are "supposed" to go to China, but arrive in Aden, after Burma gets trashed, they can fly there, but their support units don't have wings. So the 'over the hump' transports will have to fly them. In that case, those units will have to be 'squad only' units as well. Once again, the heavy devices will have to get filled out eventually from pools and supply. Think that might work ok.

You kinda caught us short, because we didn't want to touch China with a ten foot pole, much less a twelve foot albanian, but you do raise an issue that we totally missed. Ok. Can fix. Let me know your thoughts. Don't want to just go off and do something; I mean, you put your pud on the table, so you are in this, now too. Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Ciao. John

Home of DaBabes

Post #: 7
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/4/2012 7:57:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, it's not really a problem to me

I won't be re-starting again (I hope). I have to calculate how many groups went into China. I have a really amazing PDF which I found on the internets like 4 years ago. It contains the history of ALL the American squadrons in WW2. It's not only the few groups in China after the AVG was disbanded. I'm thinking about the XX Air Force heavy bombers (based of staging in China for example). All these guys will need support, that the Chinese can't provide.

It's possibly an absurd cause though, as logistics are a nightmare (as it should be). Still, what was done in the real thing might be simulated. If I well understood, Roosevelt wanted to bolster the Chinese morale with those planes (so that was perhaps more a political than military decision).

So as I have said I will more or less calculate how many base group units I shall be sending to provide support for the air groups in China. I will send the base groups which currently appear at Aden to China (airdrop + marching through Burma, the Japanese AI won't care, I guess).

Cheers

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 8
RE: China Air task Force - Da Big Babes - 3/6/2012 1:48:11 PM   
dwg

A lot of the US units despatched to the CBI theatre actually ended up operating in India for a considerable period, so automagically teleporting them into China isn't the best solution. It's a campaign in which airborne logistics was vital, so IMO the best thing to do is to try and reflect that. If it complicates things almost to the point of impossibility then I'd say you have it just about right ;)

Edit: Just went back and checked some of the data I've squirrelled away, and reminded myself that XX AF's B-29s actually did operate from Indian bases like Piardoba for nearly a year (4-44 to 2-45), and that the attempts to forward-deploy from there to Chinese fields for raids against the Home Islands proved pretty much impossible due to the logistics involved.

< Message edited by dwg -- 3/6/2012 2:26:14 PM >

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> China Air task Force - Da Big Babes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI