Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Noobie needing help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Noobie needing help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Noobie needing help - 3/3/2012 4:47:25 PM   
t3685

Hi,

I purchased BFTB a while back, but I have found it quite hard to wrap my head around the concepts off the game (I am more used to tactical scale games).Are there any small (in size and time) scenarios around I mess around with first? The tutorial scenario itself is already to big for me :).

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/3/2012 6:06:30 PM   
simovitch

Try Germans in "Hell on Wheels Counterattack".

Don't neglect the "withdraw" order.

simovitch

(in reply to t3685)
Post #: 2
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/3/2012 6:58:29 PM   
t3685

Thanks. Do you happen to have tips on what attack formation to choose in what situation?

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 3
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/4/2012 2:12:37 AM   
simovitch

This particular scenario will be primarily defensive.

On attacks I usually use line to attack, especially on a broad front. And successive lines to punch through on a narrow corridor. I may switch to right or left echelon as the situation changes in front of the assault.

I usually won't order an assault until I'm within 1-2 Km of the target, and I use "defend" to move up into the front line, even though a 'move' command will default to defend after it is completed.

simovitch

(in reply to t3685)
Post #: 4
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/5/2012 4:07:19 PM   
t3685

Thanks, I'll give this one a try.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 5
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/6/2012 7:45:14 PM   
henri51

I wrote a detailed AAR on this scenario. Maybe it could be useful. It is in the AARs section.

(in reply to t3685)
Post #: 6
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/7/2012 2:23:16 PM   
t3685

Thanks, I'll have a look to get a feel for the basic approach. Still trying to figure out the commands of this game.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 7
RE: Noobie needing help - 3/9/2012 12:20:59 AM   
henri51

Note that the Hell on Wheels scenario is a lot easier to win as the Allies than the Germans, and there are 2 other AARs using different strategies in addition to mine in the AAR section. (mine is the maneuver warfare approach preventing most German units from fighting effectively, another is the all-out assault approach, and the other is the "Move fast and get inside their reaction loop before they can react" approach). All three can work because the allies have an overwhelming advantage. I also wrote a thread about how to win with the Germans when German reinforcements are allowed using a mobile defence(a German win without reinforcements is improbable).

In sum the Allies have to break through to link up with Patton and the Germans must fight a defensive delaying battle which can be a bit much for a beginner.

You might have to set the thread view to "all" to see all the AARs of interest, because some are pretty old.

(in reply to t3685)
Post #: 8
RE: Noobie needing help - 4/14/2012 5:03:15 PM   
t3685

After playing this scenario as the Allies (for an easy win :)) I was left with one question. At a certain point I order an armoured battalion to attack one of the objectives. However after initially moving out, they just sat there for about an hour, without seeming to actively moving or engaging the enemy. Can anyone fill me in what I'm seeing here?

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 9
RE: Noobie needing help - 4/14/2012 9:34:56 PM   
simovitch

Usually that means the force's HQ has routed or is still recovering from rout, or is otherwise suppressed. Use F2 key to view rout status.

simovitch

(in reply to t3685)
Post #: 10
RE: Noobie needing help - 4/14/2012 10:57:30 PM   
Lieste

Or possibly they moved from start point to FUP, and all is normal?
A little longer and the assault may go in. Some freezes are unavoidable and intended. The challenge is trying to place and time them so they aren't strongly influenced by enemy action.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 11
RE: Noobie needing help - 4/15/2012 11:32:03 AM   
t3685

The HQ unit was safely behind. I will pay closer attention next time to see where the FUP is. I thought they had already gone over to the attack. Their current task read assaulting so.

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Noobie needing help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI