Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 9:11:50 AM   
ernieschwitz

1939, april, french turn,

The writing is on the wall. At least thats the way several french generals are seeing things at present. France is falling. But some believe they can turn this into a slow crumble, instead of a house of cards falling in one fell sweep.

A few planes, mainly night bombers, flee to Britain, to continue the fight from there, should it be needed.

But first things first, the italians have to be dealt with. And the mobile forces (French Mobile reserve II) along with elements of the 2nd army attack the Italian breakthrough near Lyon. This is a resounding victory, and the italian forces, those that are left that is, retreat after first being subjected to artillery bombardment, and then the french attack from four sides.

The remaining Italians flee towards the other part of the breakthrough, located near Avignon (not placed on the map), and here the Italians are first subjected to artillery strikes, and then bombardment from the french airforce. This does soften them up a bit, but not enough for the French attacking forces to take the hex, although it was a close fought fight.

Here is a picture of France, and the action this turn...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 121
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 12:40:39 PM   
Keunert

i am checking this aar daily, great read! thank you for doing the aar and the scenario and the playtesting.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 122
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 1:04:10 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert
i am checking this aar daily, great read! thank you for doing the aar and the scenario and the playtesting.

Thanks very much :)

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 123
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 1:09:05 PM   
ernieschwitz

1939, april, British turn,

Not much to report. A few submarines in the English Channel met their fate. Night bombing has shifted its target away from the German/Turkish Heavy flak, and instead hit Ruhr this turn. In the mediterranian a few sorties were made by the royal navy, sinking a couple of italian submarines and destroyers.

In Libya, the RAF and RSAAF once again hit the italians, who are without fighter cover and any serious attempt at flak. Seems that Benghazi has surrendered to the British without a fight, though british troops are wary about entering the city.

In a desperation attempt at shortening the Soviet Front from the Germans, a coup is attempted in Finland, though it fails, and Finland continues to be a neutral... but for how long... before the Germans activate it.

Lost in the shuffle of the war, diplomats from Luxembourg protest as their country is run over by Germany.

Post #: 124
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 1:10:42 PM   
ernieschwitz

1939, april, American turn,

Once again the americans try to wake up from their passive stance of isolationism, and fail. Next turn there is a 6% chance of success.

Post #: 125
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 1:35:23 PM   
ernieschwitz

1939, april, Chinese turn,

Everything is collapsing! Or so it seems. A limited offensive is held to blunt the Japanese spearheads near Sian. First the Japanese were bombarded by artillery, with surprisingly good effect, then the entire Chinese airforce bombed the hapless japanese, and then nearby units made a push to take the hex, which happened. Other than that, it´s hold onto whatever you can in China.

Even the defence of Chengtu (the city in the mountains) is being prepared!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 126
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 3:00:23 PM   
Kraftwerk

quote:

Lost in the shuffle of the war, diplomats from Luxembourg protest as their country is run over by Germany.

Doh I forgot to mention that in my aar

Post #: 127
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 5:05:02 PM   
Kraftwerk

Breaking News -

German forces have taken Memel and encircled Koniegsberg. The luftwaffe inflicts heavy casualties on the VVS in the ensuing airbattles over east Prussia.

It is also reported that german motorcycle pioneers have crossed the Seine and have been seen in the Paris suburbs. Combat engineers repair the bridges at Anhee and Dinant across the Meuse, and armor and supply begin to flow into france. French citizens are seen for miles clogging the streets west out of Metz. German paratroopers capture the fortress at Dinant over looking the Meuse, they also capture the monastary on the hill overlooking Verdun.

Having some trouble with heavy tanks in the valley, OberstCommander Heinz Guderian brilliantly employs heavy flak and bofors 40mm guns to destroy or disable many french tanks.

The first battle for Verdun, lasted from august 1914, until January 1918. Over 2 million lives were lost in the valley overlooked by the monastary. After the Armistice ended in January 1939, the second battle of Verdun lasted 3 hours and 21 minutes.

Blitzkrieg.

The Niederlanders wave orange flags as german staff cars and tanks roll through the streets of Brussels and Antwerp on their way to the french countryside.

A compromise on rule is being reached with the duchy of Utrecht. As long as allegiance is paid to Germany, the Dutch may rule themselves. An empire of slaves is not what the Furher and his fascist teacher Mussolini want for Europe.

< Message edited by Kraftwerk -- 3/22/2012 5:07:14 PM >

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 128
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 5:46:21 PM   
Kraftwerk

German losses for May 1939:

I consider 20k men a turn to just be attrition. Between the losses on their turn, and these, ive lost just about 17,000. So all is well in the Reichstag.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 129
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/22/2012 7:28:17 PM   
Kraftwerk

Heres the situation in Europe at the end of Italy's turn.

Il Duce is most pleased.

A shipyard is completed, and begins producing ships to help take back the med.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kraftwerk -- 3/22/2012 7:30:12 PM >

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 130
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/23/2012 12:47:41 PM   
Bombur

Soviet forces, supported by air units, were able to relieve the siege of Konigsberg, inflicting heavy losses to German armoured units. At least 60 light tanks, 100 artillery pieces and 100 trucks were destroyed. Infantry losses, however, were minimal for both sides. In other fronts, the VVS reports increased losses to fighters, against the new Bf-109E.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 131
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/26/2012 9:09:59 PM   
ernieschwitz

1939, May, French turn,

The French launch a number of counter offensives.

The first offensive, is carried out in the south of France. Here the units of the French 2nd and 3rd army make an attempt at break-out from Marseille. The light Italian armored forces are chosen as the victims of this breakout attempt. Forces from Marseille, and the hex just above it, and Toulouse all participate. The small Italian armor is no match for these forces, and they are destroyed or pushed back, towards Bordeaux. Here another phase of the offensive is put into motion. Forces from Toulouse (3rd Army) and Bordeaux as well as some forces moved out from Marseille, attack the Italian infantry, and tanks, and once again are victorious. The remaining Italian forces flee north.

Once again an attack is conducted, this time with the division "Bordeaux" being the main attacking force, and the hapless italians once again flee north. This time they are met by the Mobile French forces (Mobile French Forces II), and they easily dispatch the remaining Italian armor, with almost no losses to the French forces. The invading Italians are proving to be not much contest for the strong French units.

With these events unfolding focus is still held on the main threat to France, the loss of the French Capitol, Paris. Almost all of 1st Armies artillery is moved to or near Paris where it begins the systematic bombardment of the forces between Lille and Paris. In the process of these artillery drumbings, the Bridges over the Seine are destroyed. Forces, pulled from the Maginot line, and forces from Paris itself, and the surrounding countryside, begin an offensive against the forces that have taken position between Lille and Paris. This attack ends in both sides retreating from combat, and the battle is officially a draw. This however feels like a victory!

Belgian Mobile forces and forces from the Maginot line move into the Hex, and the German spearhead seems to have been blunted. The forces standing between Paris and Le Havre, are also bombarded, and bombed. But no attack is made on them... instead the mobile forces of Mobile I, are sent to attack the armored column just north of Le Havre. This attack fails miserably, despite heavy bombing of the forces there.

Also night bombers, from France, based in Britain have strategically bombed Brussels, the City took major damage according to observers.

Here is a map of the action done in the French turn...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 132
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/27/2012 11:52:04 AM   
ernieschwitz

1939, May, British turn,

The British are defending the waters around their Islands the best they can. Quite a few submarines are sunk, for virtually no losses. The new hit and run tactics of the Royal Navy seems to be working. Frankfurt is bombed at night, and it seems to have been left virtually undefended by the Germans. In Libya, a cavalry division is crushed by british mobile forces, and the artillery and infantry that the italians have gathered for counter offensives has been hit by light bombers from the RSAAF and RAF.

Other than that, a coup was attempted in Portugal, but it failed. So Portugal remains a neutral, until the Germans/Italians decide to either conquer it or bring it into the war.

Post #: 133
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/27/2012 11:55:36 AM   
ernieschwitz

1939, May, American turn,

Once again Roosevelt tries to convince the americans that it is time to go to war against the Axis, but his attempts fail. His arguements are able to raise the chance of going to war by 1%. Next turn there is a 7% chance of America breaking isolationism.

Post #: 134
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/27/2012 3:54:38 PM   
ernieschwitz

1939, May, Chinese turn,

Not much to report, other than a very successful airstrike conducted by the Chinese airforce, hitting a collection of Artillery, near Kaifeng, the resulting strafing and bombing led to very many of these valuable artillery pieces being destroyed.

The Japanese seem to be slowly grinding their way towards Canton and Sian...

Post #: 135
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/27/2012 7:40:53 PM   
Kraftwerk

"But with or without God, I think it is a sin to kill. To take the life of another is to me very grave. I will do it whenever necessary but I am not of the race of Pablo."

- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

German casualty reports indicate this has been the worst month for the Wermacht, with over 50,000 dead, wounded, or missing. An entire armored division's worth of equipment has been destroyed by the soviet escape on the eastern front, and it is with little celebration that Konigsberg is recaptured.

In France, counter attacks are swift and brutal. The gloves are coming off as an increasingly stubborn and belligerent Adolf Hitler is slogging his way across France. Why wont they just realize theyre in a hopeless situation and capitulate?!

The french army, while not as experianced as the german army, is fighting tenaciously. There is nothing Phony about this war. The french army is well armed, bristling with heavy tanks that even the germans dont possess. New Mas submachine guns are proliferated by french factories.

This is not the civilian economy that the Furher expected.

However that being said, its not enough to stop the onslaught of German troops.

Here is the situation in europe at the close of the axis turns, still japan to go.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 136
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/27/2012 8:09:04 PM   
Kraftwerk

The situation in China.

Also a shipyard has been constructed in the home isles and begins production 5 destroyers a month. Shinto bless those feverish japanese workers.

88 Marine IIs are shipped to the Imperial Command in China, as well as a new shipment of 14 armored car BDEs.

Production is returned to PPs. In two turns another shipyard set to produce troop transports will be completed, and the turn after that a gun factory in China will be built to begin the nessacary preperations for war with the the great powers.

Whose the bad driver now?!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 137
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/27/2012 10:35:24 PM   
Kraftwerk

One more page and this will be the 3rd longest player AAR! I dont know if we can out do #1, but I believe we have #2 in our sights :)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 138
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/28/2012 12:24:24 AM   
LazyBoy

A great AAR as well

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 139
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/28/2012 2:16:19 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: LazyBoy

A great AAR as well

+1

It's always nice to see a long well written AAR.

(in reply to LazyBoy)
Post #: 140
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/5/2012 3:08:37 AM   
Bombur

June 1939-Soviet turn

Took moderate losses from Germany attacks in the Northern Front. The Germans were able to cross the river at Byalstock. It´s possible we will lose the Blatic countries in the next turns....
The last Afghan troops are destroyed.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 141
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/5/2012 3:44:33 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Meanwhile, the Germans report hitting a few speed bumps on their way through Luxembourg.......

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 142
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/5/2012 3:49:00 PM   
Kraftwerk

Id hardly quantify it as even a speed bump. I think it had 15 Rifleman, some general purpose mgs, vickers or maxims, something like that. Maybe some outdated infantry guns. And staff. Which I find surprisingly tough. They wont kill anything, but the staff ive attacked ive attacked with a sizable advantage in combat value, it dies stubbornly, and retreats quickly. But still. Its staff..

Theres been some more turns taken but im on my laptop and havent been able to do a proper AAR

Long story short, France is all but out, they seem to be trying to bleed the german and italian army rather than escape. Tho then again I had 70 or 80 SFTs of sub IIIs in the channel and around the french coast. Took the last 2 turns for GB to remove the threat. Now France can evacuate safely. Tho theres not much left. Paris is almost surrounded. Maginot was surrounded and destroyed.

Cav and same tanks are all that hold the south of France. The Italians are pretty dominant, though the way in the Spain is there if the French want to cause some more damage before theyre out, they did make some good attacks in the area. I know if I was Ernie in this situation id go for it because A im already doomed on the entire european mainland B its totally unexpected. That move I think is doomed to failure, but france is already doomed to failure. It at least would put the fight on the seas, supplying the fleeing french, instead of in France, though itd mean basically giving up paris and marsielle and I dont know if thats the right call in the long run, both those cities have another turn or two of life left them for the allies. With the americans looking like theyre a long way from waking up, the best strategy might be what Ernie is doing now, and simply causing as much damage, holding as much production away from the germans for as long as possible.

No BEF ever showed up. Dunno if Ernie simply didnt want to, or if my subs prevented that, he could answer it better.

Ive been pumping fighters for quite a while but still dont have air superiority. Now being close to england, at least one hex a turn really feels the bite. Ive gotten heavy flak about, and in most of the useful locations, unless they come with a veritable horde of bombers, those guns stop any attack.

Pulled all my naval assets back to port as they were about to be out of supplies. Down to 74 Subs. First time ive dipped below 90 since I started Kiel on subs. 2 Turns ill be back in action on the high seas. Like I said this is Frances chance to get out of dodge, or england to drop the BEF. Dunno what he'll do.

In North Africa, and the Middle East, the Axis is Winlosing....the armies of eygpt, jordan, and I guess india, are advancing slowly westward. All my attention is gonna go to these areas now that theres no chance of pressure from the west. Ive still got a ways to go over there, but its not like France is gonna suddenly start gaining ground. However I think Fez, Morocco and Algeria are gonna fall to axis control. After France falls thats going to be the next goal in the west, so I can trap the french and english battleships in the med, and slowly kill them off. That plan is already underway and unless they get extremely lucky theyre already pretty trapped in there.

In Turkey fortunately the Russians havent involved themselves, ive expect to see road start to come out of the fog of war through Van but it just never happens. The brits and French are making good ground however, and my defense east of Batemon was untennable and I was forced to withdraw.

I did get some armor in the area into Ankara, so the plains to the east of the city can always be cleared.

Greece continues to hold, and will until I own the med. Even if I take Gibraltar and Marsaille theres enough production in India to supply them by sea through any of those ports indefinitly. I wont actually hurt their readiness until theyre short on supplies, so for now theyre simply a training ground for artillery, bombers, and fighters, before they go to other areas with the xp they gain pounding on the poor greek soldiers.

I guess life is hard in the soviet union. But my god they have alot of tanks. Since they attacked me when I was going through poland and never had a chance to set up a masterful opener, im not gonna get so amazing barbarossa victory. That sucks. Fortunately bombur cant move his white russia production, so thatll help even things out. Im gonna need a massive inflation of the forces in the area though to do anything serious to him. I could take territory sure, exhaust myself, and give him the chance for a counter assault, that is gonna most likely take the wind right of germanys sails. At some point, maybe already, theyre gonna have built enough staff to get their 100% bonus everywhere. Then their units are on par with my newly trained units. At that point its going to be a massive blood bath I dont really want.

As in my play style, I dont much like blood baths. I perfer to move along the path of least resistance until I can achieve wins and low losses. Surrounding my objectives on multiple sides and with massive numbers advantage. Its weird to say, I guess its just ATG, but theres not much of that will happen in our game in Russia...its not going to be big sweeping operations that end in encirclements of cities. Its going to be a WW1 style micromanagement blood bath...So I plan to avoid that and use the hammer of the imperial japanese army at least for the time being, to scare russia into the possibility of having to send a ton of its production east. I feel they have a huge portion of their army and resources defending against germany. If they had to deal with Japan as well theyd surely fold.

Though this brings me to the problem of japan. Japan will wrap up China within the next year and be able to help the axis. The issue is the massive front the Japanese army and navy is going to have. Russia in the north, USA in the east, Britain in the west, and Britain in the south. If im lucky ill have a few short turns of freedom in the north, west, and south, before the east is a problem.

Surely theres going to be no pearl harbor, at least not like the history books, and im going to have a strong pacific fleet to deal with.

Ive built 2 Shipyards as japan, and thatll help. I dont see any over there in California (tho maybe thats fog of war) so perhaps I can achieve an advantage.

I can see all the british subs out in the china sea and south pacific with patrol planes and such. So theres a british naval presence there, watching, waiting.

Singapore is gonna hafta fall of course. And Vladivostok. If I can take those two cities, life will be easier. There wont be a good place to put ships or planes anywhere until the phillipines wakes up with the USA. Takes alot of the pressure off.

I dont think theyd risk trying to hold Shanghai. And im tempted to leave Taiwan as a nationalist chinese enclave just for sentimental value, and for something to bomb with newly built bombers, and shell with shore bombardment for xp.

< Message edited by Kraftwerk -- 4/5/2012 3:53:51 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 143
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/9/2012 11:26:11 PM   
Kraftwerk

Overview of the situation in China

Not much happened around the world, Kaunus falls in the soviet union, the first soviet city to fall. Greece and France barely hang on.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kraftwerk -- 4/9/2012 11:27:16 PM >

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 144
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/13/2012 7:24:56 PM   
Kraftwerk

August 21st 1939 - Germany

After 6 grueling months, France seems headed for the waste bin. They fought harder than expected and ernie brilliantly used his forces. The experiance he picked up in china was invaluable and he made good use of terrain, rivers, and counter attacks.

There is little to celebrate though, as paris has yet to fall, though its solidly encircled. Greece holds on like a champ, and while a small attack was made against the soviet union, their army still dwarfs the wehrmacht, and each turn that passes, their army gains considerable strength.

The british continue to press forward in North Africa and Turkey threatening to capture several cities.

Heres the war in the west:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 145
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/13/2012 8:12:03 PM   
Kraftwerk

Japan -

Another offensive kicks off to try and knock out china. Advances are made towards the last cities in China.

Heres a loss comparison up to this point. Its not showing quite a bit of stuff destroyed on both sides.

You can see about 700,000 casualties on the chinese side, and 200,000 on the Japanese side.

Not shown are about another 100,000 casualties for the chinese, and 50,000 for the Japanese.

Well over 500 aircraft have been destroyed on both sides.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 146
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 4/21/2012 11:22:41 PM   
Bombur

October 1939-USSR

The Soviet High Command is very worried with the news about the fall of Paris and the final collapse of France. The two front war gave the USSR enough time to expand the army and build better defenses, however, the German advance on the Baltic countries simply cannot be stopped, and we wonder what will happen once the enemy brings its full power to the East. In Turkey, the Soviet airforce is giving some support to the advancing British troops, while an unfortunate German division that ended the turn trapped behind enemy lines was exterminated to the last man...In the black sea, we lost lots of patrol aircraft to enemy submarines. Vilnius is being evacuated, as we lack the resources to defend it...

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 147
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 5/2/2012 1:38:58 AM   
Bombur

November 1939

-Vilnius fall but we won enough time to build strong defenses. Bridges were blew and forts are being raised. While overall losses were high, the Soviet production was more than enough to replace losses and still increase the overall size of our army and airforce.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 148
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 5/18/2012 1:16:23 AM   
Bombur

After a small bug, we are back again.
USSR
Germany offensive in USSR stalled, for now, the enemy attacked our forces with aircraft, killing about 40 infantry, we returned the favor destroying 8 artillery (also by air attack).
In Turkey, it seems we also have a stalemate between British/Soviet and German forces. Our patrol aircraft sunk a German submarine in the Baltic.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 149
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI