Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/11/2012 1:19:04 AM   
Bombur

-The NKVD has captured a few terrorists in the Soviet-Afghan border. After a gentle interrogation they admitted to be planning acts of sabotage in Soviet territory. It seems these men are being paid and armed by the pro fascist Afghan government. More NKVD men were sent to the area in order to make further investigations.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 61
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/11/2012 3:31:27 AM   
ernieschwitz

September, 1938, Allied turn...

A big pressconference is held in Paris where the newest of French innovations is being shown. It seems that the French too have made their own version of the Semiautomatic rifle. We are being told that it already has made its way to the brave units protecting the borders of France.

Speaking of the press, an interesting article about a new development in Britain has surfaced. Apparantly a new model of aircraft has been tested and has now hit the assembly lines. Its sleak shap and brilliant design is surely something to marvel at. The investigative reporters who uncovered the story, have dubbed the plane, the Spitfire. Also an interesting memo has leaked that the British Intelligence services and the government thinks war is very unlikely at present. No mention has been made of why this conclusion has been reached, but the population of Britain and its dominions are very happy about the news.

Not wanting to being shown up by the French, the Americans too develope their version of the semiautomatic rifle, the M1. We have been told that it is an even better weapon than the french one, and should be ready for export for countries that are considered friends of America.

In China the Japanese have reported that they have made huge advances. This is true. The supply situation of the 5th Army was not something that the Chinese generals liked. So for strategic reasons the 5th Army crossed the Yangtze river at Wuhan, and took up positions there. This may have looked as a general retreat to the Japanese, but it was far from it. We are sure that the Japanese killed some deserters while gaining ground, after all the Chinese army is not without that kind of problem either... but the main casualties seem to have come from the murdering of innocent civilians, who were just defending their livestock and such from brutal Japanese confiscation.

The south of China is now being held by the 1st, 5th, 6h and 8th armies. This force should be able to hold out in the forrest regions of the area pretty easily, it is felt. Chinese staff HQs have now anti air guns as well... The trap that was laid for the japanese by our airforce some months ago is not going to be repeated. Firstly the Japanese surely must have learned, secondly the casualties taken by airmen were not as light as had been hoped.

Northern China is held by troops from the 4th, 9th and 3rd Armies. Here the front is quiet. Some conscripts sacrificed their lives so that an exposed unit of artillery could survive, which is one of the reasons for the casualties that are being reported by the Japanese also. Other than that Yenan seems to be safe, even if there are "whirlwind" units nearby... Chinese High Command hasn´t been impressed by these metal boxes so far.

Kaifeng... is almost surrounded. A fierce battle took place just outside it. Here Chinese units from the 2nd Army, that is defending Kaifeng, and 7th Army that has dug in around Sian, attacked a lone Japanese Infantry divison. The division was badly mauled, and had to retreat. The Forces of Kaifeng... what is left of the 2nd Army rather, has been ordered to hold out until help arrives. Privately the Generals know that none is on the way, and they have been sentenced to death, holding the once old Capitol of China. The men however are in fine spirits. Supply is plentiful, and rations have been doubled.

Here is a map of China, showing the latest developements.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 62
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/11/2012 4:47:59 PM   
Kraftwerk

Oct 17th, 1938 - Germany

Danzig. Or war.

45 days are given in the Ultimatum to clear all British and allied forces from Danzig, and to cede this sovereign german territory back to its rightful owner. Also in the Ultimatum is an order to clear British units from Denmark, Greece, Gibraltar, and Eygpt.

Kurt Tank completes work on a new factory in Bavaria. He immediately begins working on a new prototype for an aircraft that can fufill both fighter, and combat air strike roles.

Oct 17th, 1938 - Italy

The meeting in Istanbul goes off without a hitch. It is decided that the fascist empires of the world are now in a position to challenge the world order.

An ultimatum is issued. Perhaps the allies will cede what is rightfully ours without a fight.

Deep down, we hope for war.

Breda wins the contract for semi automatic rifles and production begins.

Breda continues to supply 12.7mm heavy machine guns to front line units. Supply flows to Italian units from the new factory, and stock piles are created (this is a huuuge change from history, Mussolini screwed the pooch when joining the axis...doing stupid things like leaving half his merchant fleet in enemy ports, and having no supply or oil stock pile. I have disbanded many overseas units to save supply and create an oil stock pile. With the completetion of the factory, I now have a supply surplus too, lets see if this helps the Italians a bit!)

More armor reaches the Iberian penisula, and soon the command will be moved over.

October 17th, 1938 - Japan

Operations continue in Falling Rain.

Kaifeng is surrounded, and new semi automatic rifles like the ones used by the SNLF forces start to trickle to front line units now that the supply factory in Japan has started producing goods.

An independent artillery division is formed to support the Whirlwind divisions.

Heres the front:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 63
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/11/2012 4:55:05 PM   
Kraftwerk

Losses this turn were less than 400 men for the Japanese and 8,000 for the Chinese.

Losses since the operation has begun has been about 10,000 men. Losses for the chinese have been over 100,000.

An exact count can be made when operations cease, partisan activity is stopped, and we can take stock of our divisions again.

I expect the chinese to attempt a breakout of the encirclement, they have quite a few forces in the city, as well as in the mountains to the west.

Holding the pocket closed is the famed 67th Division "Seizon Sha", now armed with semi automatic rifles, supported by 2nd Whirlwind Division, and the Korean Light Armored Division.

I expect these units to get mauled pretty badly, but they should take a huuuge number of chinese with them.

And of course this is perferred to assaulting the city with 5 divisions and an HQ trapped in it. That would be a bloody battle.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 64
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/12/2012 5:10:15 AM   
ernieschwitz

October, 1938, Allied turn...

The Primeminister of Great Britain, and his Majesties Goverment, and the French leader Daladier, seem to be in agreement. Neville Chamberlain, holds a speach, that sure to be remembered for its importance, in the Parliament. "The line will be drawn here."

He continues: "Germanys claims are unreasonable and completely unheard of. No-one, but no-one, orders his Majesties Goverment to do anything, let alone Herr Hitler."

This sparked marked applause from many of the present. Including the Polish Ambassador.

"Let it be known that Britain and her dominions, and all of France, stand behind Poland and their right to keep the Polish Corridor and Danzig. Polands access to the sea is not an issue that is debatable."

"The line will be drawn here."

"First Austria, the Czechoslovakia, and now Poland. There cannot any longer be any doubt as to herr Hitlers intensions. We have seen peaceful countries turn warlike, like the once peaceful kingdom of Yugoslavia."

"On a final note, his Majesties governemt reintroduces conscription, and urges the practice of airraid drills."

The speach was received by a quiet parliament, who perhaps sensing the looming danger of war, were in a somber mood, or it could be that parts of the speach had already been leaked.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 65
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/12/2012 5:17:50 AM   
ernieschwitz

Ovtober 1938, Allied turn continued

Preparations for war are made in France and Great Britain alike. Airmen are called off leave, and shore leave is cancelled for naval personel. Every man from 18-40 is called up for conscription, though with the massive amount of people this entails, most get lucky and don´t get drafted, but are put in a reserve.

In America the congress and senate debate if they should declare support for any of the soon to be countries at war. There is no easy solution, and no one is willing to risk american lives in what is sure to be a repeat of the first world wars trench nightmare.

China launches a bombing raid on two army HQs that have seeked refuge (or maybe they are in joint conference) in an armoured train. The bombing is ineffective, and only few staffers are killed. Also chinese bombers hit an area to the west of Kaifeng, where an infantry division, a so called whirlwind division and an armored division had taken up position. The results were not favorable, so a planned breakout from Kaifeng is not executed. The troops in Kaifeng are going to have to fend for themselves.

Post #: 66
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/12/2012 6:16:37 PM   
Kraftwerk

Nov 14th 1938 - Germany

It seems obvious by day 21 to the entire world that this is where the allies have drawn their line in the sand.

The world holds its breath, praying for peace, but knowing that war is coming.

The only question now is when. Will germany give the allies the 45 days it allowed in the Ultimatum? Or will it shock the world with a surprise attack.

No one inside the Reichstag is sure if even the Furher knows.

Communications between Germany, Italy, Turkey, Spain, Japan and the Central European Committee have all but ceased.

No one knows what was spoken of, in detail, at Istanbul last month. But since then the "Axis" powers have been eeriely non communicado with each other.

Cities are blacked out at night. Fighter patrols sweep the borders. The Kriegsmarine also though, are serenely calm.

Locals report massive shifting of forces among the armies stationed on the border, and aerodromes across central europe are abuzz with activity.

November 14th 1938 - Italy

Alone on the planning floor of his estate in Ruma, Benito calmly eyes the "big board".

Yes.

This plan will do little lance corporal. This plan will do.

He empties another bottle of wine and throws it off the balcony.

Mussolini grins looking out over the bay, past the horizon to the west....and thinks of Nero...a touch of madness tempers his grin.

November 14th 1938 - Japan

Kaifeng falls in a 16 day long urban street brawl. A battle that SNLF Commander Tomoyuki Yamashita wanted to avoid.

Newly appointed to the Special Naval Landing Forces position, Imperial General Yamashita feels the assignment in the experimental army a downgrade, from commanding the 5th army that Tokado now commands. The glory of Kwesui could have been his.

Instead he is responsible for the deaths of almost 10,000 Japanese soldiers, 4,000 of them his highly trained, and irreplacable SNLF Marines.

The general is the only one who sees it this way. The rest of the Imperial staff and Royal family are exhalted after the capture of the once capital of China. To them the cost of lives is far cheaper than that of a general who cares for his men. One who lives, breathes, fights and dies with his men.

This battle will haunt the general for many more battles to come. Hopefully his tenacity isnt affected.

Heres how the battle went.

Until round 6, casualties were pretty much 1:1, and this is after a huge 200 plane bombardment, and attacks by artillery.

Then they just up and surrendered in round 7. Im curious if Ernie set the defenders to fight to the death, and the poor xp and morale of the conscripts just gave out, or if he perhaps forgot to change the loss threshold %. I did truely expect higher casualties. So this was a blessing.

HOWEVER. I do wish he just broke out his forces through my armor. Sure id have had two divisions mauled, the remnants of the 3 there, could become a single full division waiting for readiness to come back up, but I wouldnt have had EVERY division of 1st and SNLF armies in the battle, as you can see it pretty much wrecked their readiness. In the end the casualties on his side would have been made up in the breakout and the next turns offensive.

So now instead of having only 1 division with low readiness, and 2 divisions destroyed, with an entire two army corps of completely fresh troops.

I have two corps that are stopped dead in their tracks. Even conscripts will slaughter you if you initiate huge battles containing these size forces with less than almost 90% unit cohesion (90+ readiness).

Plus I pretty much leveled the place.

Heres the casualties from the battle,:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 67
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 2:09:13 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

Then they just up and surrendered in round 7. Im curious if Ernie set the defenders to fight to the death, and the poor xp and morale of the conscripts just gave out, or if he perhaps forgot to change the loss threshold %. I did truely expect higher casualties. So this was a blessing.

I set them to fight to the death... so they must just have given up because of poor xp and low morale... Though i don´t recall morale being that low... It was just around 50 and the HQ was operating at 245% or therabout... so they should really have gotten a bonus from that as well, unless of course staff bonuses are not defensive in nature....

Overall, they did worse than expected, but much better than i think they would have if they had broken out, only to be wiped out the following turn. The damage to Kaifeng is also a bonus, that I want to factor in... There is a difference between taking something over without any damages, and something that is heavily damaged... of course, you have engineers nearby, so i guess it might not mean that much...

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 3/13/2012 2:32:27 AM >

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 68
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 2:55:12 AM   
Bombur

USSR:

Stalin is tired from Afghan provocations. Soviet troops crossed the Afghan border and Kabul was bombed by Soviet heavy bombers. Unfortunately, the Soviets realized they cannot take their heavy equipment to the mountains. This resulted in the commiting of precious air assets to help the self defense operation.
Good news: Soviet productivity of military factories increased by 25% in the last 8 months.
Bad news: There are rumors that the complete Soviet OOB was leaked to enemy agents. Stalin believes that Trotsky should be blamed....

Post #: 69
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 4:43:25 AM   
ernieschwitz

November 1938, allied turn...

Great Britain and France issue a sharp diplomatic note, to the Soviet Union in which they declare that they are very much against this war of aggression that the Soviet Union has initiated with the Free people of Afghanistan. Forces are moved up towards the Afghan/Indian border, just to make sure, that the Soviets do not get any bright ideas.

But the main focus has of Great Britain and France has been on the German/Italian/Spanish threats to France, Poland, Denmark, Gibraltar and Egypt. Diplomats have been traveling via special currier planes to deliver top secret messages to each of these Governments, and a strong unified front is planned against these threats against sovereignity.

Nothing to report from the USA, apart from introduction of a new Fighter, the fighter III.

In China things look like they are going bad for the Chinese army. Troops are falling back at Yenan, and a final defence of the city is being planned as the Japanese warmachine slowly picks its way through the prepared positions of the Chinese Army. Kaifeng was lost, but it was defended valiantly, according to the few survivors that actually escaped to make it to Chinese lines. There were very few.

In the south, Wuhan seems about to fall. Forces are pulled back after a vital defensive position was taken by the Japanese Army... In fact the important coal mines of the city of Wuhan are in risk of being surrounded by the enemy forces that are moving forwards slowly but surely.

The good news is that some western methods of production have been copied, and that China now produces it´s weapons with more than 60% better efficiency.

Here is a look at the map, as the turn ended.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 3/13/2012 4:44:41 AM >

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 70
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 4:48:30 AM   
Kraftwerk

I think it was the right call as well, id have done the same thing. My engineers are tied up building rail roads to supply the offensive, and I havent wasted precious production building a 2nd stack of engies for china.

I guess I just got lucky, the attack could have stalled just as easily I think and would have been another turn to finish it off.

Either way totally leveling the city means I gotta wait for the rail to catch up before moving on, as supply starts to dwindle fast in those woods and mountains, taking the city whole would have meant itd supply an army corps right off the bat.

The hit to all those divisions readiness is a bonus too.

Post #: 71
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 5:05:41 AM   
Kraftwerk

I think after seeing this battle, when I play china, im gonna try stacking as many MGs in cities as possible. Even go so far as to strip them from units to stack up in the cities. I think the lack of mgs is what did it. Had there been 10x as many my losses would prolly have sky rocketed each turn of battle those turns before your guys surrendered.

Ill have to try that when my chance comes around.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 72
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 6:22:01 AM   
Kraftwerk

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Breaking news on the developing situation in Poland.

If the attack north east of Warsaw wouldnt have stalled, it would have been a most complete victory.

Ill have to settle for this..

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 73
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 6:35:40 AM   
Kraftwerk

Italian forces threaten to cut off Marsaille!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 74
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/13/2012 7:32:55 AM   
Kraftwerk

The situation in China:

3rd and 5th army link up to the north east of Yenan. 3rd army makes a radical line shift to the west, from the northern road into Yenan, and horses and light equipment head up into mountains west of the chinese positions.

5th army and 3 Whirlwind divisions, supported by cavalry and light armor, rout a bakers dozen of divisions to the east of Yenan, and the two armies begin to squeeze the last city in Northern China.

1st SNLF, and 1st Army swing south, and move to positions across the river from General Kisheks HQ Villa in Wuhan. Engineers and chinese slave labor build rail roads down from Kaifeng to the base of the river valley.

4th Army moves in and occupies positions to the east and south of Wuhan.

Massive air strikes level Wuhan. Incendiary bombs turn the city of thatch homes and wooden buildings to a raging inferno. Artillery indiscriminately fires into the city.

Anything that moves on the roads south out of town, is met with a violent barrage of munitions.

Axis operations in Europe begin. Emperor Hirohito waits impatiently for his stage of joint operations.

A gentle prod is given to the IJA to 'wrap things up' in china.

Both Chinese and Japanese losses mount. Small villages are also the target of fire bombing missions. A mass exodus of civilians head west into the mountains, and south into India and Dai Viet/French Indochina.

One of the topics of discussion at Istanbul was how to handle the wealth of china once it is fully in the grasp of the Japanese empire. Imperial consolts begin training for special missions in china, to improve its infrastructure and industrial output.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 75
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 12:37:07 AM   
Bombur

The peaceful USSR won´t tolerate any agression war (except the ones against failed states, like Afghanistan, of course). Since Germany showed its agressiveness and contempt for international treaties, we had no choice but to offer an alliance to western imperialists in order to fight the common enemy. A few months ago, Stalin has warned Hitler that the USSR would turn a blind eye to colonial conflicts, but would tolerate no war close to its own borders. We started with a very limited offensive in the North Front. Unfortunately, this offensive failed to take Konigsberg. The German navy, however, took a bloody nose, with two of their so called "Pocket Battleships" (actually cruisers with large guns) being sunk by submarines and surface ships, while our naval bombers also claimed a destroyer. Long range bombers also hit the Rumanian oilfields.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 76
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 2:36:12 AM   
ernieschwitz

December 1938, French turn...

The reports that were coming in to the French High Command, seemed bleak, at best. The line in the Alps had been breached by Italian and Swiss troops, and the Spanish had also initiated what could be described as a breakthrough in the southern parts of France, threatening to cut off the troops in Marseille from supply. Luckily things were not as bad as it seemed. Four french Divisions had been attacked and beaten back in total. In some cases up to half of the division strength was still present, particulary this was the case on the Spanish front...

The initial reports of a major breakthrough in the South were also a bit premature. It turns out that only a Cavalry brigade was threatening to cut off supplies, and troops from the south and west (both divisions from the 3rd french army) quickly routed it.

Then came the real threat of breakthrough. Italian light armour and Spanish armour (undoubtebly leftovers from the spanish civil war), that had entered french territory. These troops, located just south of Bordeaux, on the plains there seemed to be an excellent target for the 1st. French Mobile Reserves. After an initial artillery bombardment, provided by artillery from the 3rd french Army, and a bombing run, the battlefield was set. In a brilliant display of mobile warfare, the Spanish and Italian armour melted away, and promptly retreated back to Spain. A single infantry division from the 3rd Army, with Heavy Tank support, attacked them there, and pushed them back, again after heavy Italian and Spanish losses.

Break through? There is no break through from Spain.

In the mediterranian the French fleet engages the parts of the Regia Marina, near Malta, with mixed results. While technically a victory, the italian fleet managed to retreat with it´s battleship intact. A daring raid by french submarines sink at least 2 military transport vessels trying to hide out in Sardinia. The brave submarine commander will be up for a medal for this show of cunning.

The hole in the Italian/French border is something more worrisome, but troops from the 2nd and 1st Army are rushing to plug the hole. While they cannot attack this turn... the airforces of France pound the attackers and artillery shells it. However the italians and swiss make good use of the cover provided by these low mountains and results are minimal... the same cannot be said for the losses to Italian air. Droves of Cr-32s are being shot down (Fighter Is, seems to be italys best planes at the moment)..

Here is a look at the french front.

Also Night Bombers bomb frankfurt...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 3/14/2012 2:37:29 AM >

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 77
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 3:39:54 AM   
Kraftwerk

Haha germany is screwed.

The USSR declaring war makes me weep.

I can only pray that the 1200 supply I see getting A/S makes some sort of difference in france.

Otherwise all hopes are gonna rest on Japan

< Message edited by Kraftwerk -- 3/14/2012 3:40:57 AM >

Post #: 78
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 5:00:59 AM   
ernieschwitz

December, 1938, Great Britains turn,

One would think that Great Britain has alot to report. Well, the war office has deemed pictures of what is going on so secret that nothing has gotten through. However. Some written reports have filtered through.

There seems to have been a number of naval battles in the North Sea. Germany putting out a huge screen of Uboats protecting its shores from would be invaders and such... The Royal Navy managed however to punch through and hit Germanys main fleet located just outside of Kiel/Hamburg. The Channel Fleet got the job of finishing off the Germans, but, it wasn´t as big a success as hoped. The next turns will show who wins naval superiority... the German Uboats are very hard to sink...

There has also been quite a few naval engagements in the Mediterranian. Here the British Atlantic Fleet made mincemeat out of the Spanish surface fleet. Also the Italian Colonial Fleet was surrounded and sunk or surrendered. Their have been countless other minor naval battles, in and around the waters that surround Malta and Greece.

The battle in Poland rages on... Not only did succesfull counterattacks made by Polish Armor and Cavalry secure that the so-called "pockets" were connected back to Warsaw, but a whole Panzer division was routed and beaten badly. Also Koenigsberg fell to Polish troops, escaping Danzig. Quite a few aircraft were captured on the ground.

In africa the British and commonwealth troops advance across the dessert and into Libya. Also the troops in British Somali, advance, without meeting resistance, into Ethiopia, where they are treated as heros.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 79
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 5:08:51 AM   
ernieschwitz

December, 1938, American Turn,

The US decides to continue it´s policy of non-intervention and isolationism. Roosevelt starts his attempts at changing this. The US wake-up from isolationism chance is now 2%.

Post #: 80
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 5:48:24 AM   
ernieschwitz

December, 1938, Chinese Turn,

Two major offensives are tried in China, one south of Wuhan that meets with enormous success and routs the Japanese Division located there... attacks were made by conscripts using mortars and machineguns. Nothing special in other words...

The other offensive was in the North, near Yenan. Here what is considered the elite units of China, tried to engage two whirlwind divisions, and alot of armor. It was hoped that after the initial artillery bombardment, that eliminated alot of the infantry there, that major pain could be inflicted on these metal boxes. However, Chinese courage was not enough. And the attacking divisions lost pretty badly.

Here is a view of the action that happened.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 81
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 5:52:03 AM   
Kraftwerk

Man im happy I didnt join the axis as Japan yet. I think Hirohito may leave Hitler and Mussolini out to dry.

Post #: 82
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 6:03:46 AM   
Kraftwerk

Wow what a doozey. Ok, going to dispense with the fan fiction for a bit and see if we cant turn this around.

Heres my losses.

Really not that bad. I make 9 fighter IVs at my factory, that covers my losses there. Considering there were fighter IIs and Is in there, that helps. 86 infantry isnt bad. Niether is 2 arty.

Losing 8 tanks hurts, but I expected some losses like that.

I make 9 sub IIIs a turn at Kiel, so thats not a big hit either. Losing the Prince Eugen and (oh I forget) hurts. But the Kriegsmarine was going to be on hold until mainland europe belongs to germany anyways.

10 destroyers hurts a tad, but there arent any german over seas holdings, so the brits have no need for subs. After I kill off what they started with, we wont be seeing many more german destroyers.

I destroyed 3600 supply. That actually about evens up the losses and kills in production terms. I pray that had an effect.

I also sunk 19 ships. Thats a bonus. But the allies have an inexhaustable supply of destroyers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 83
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 6:10:47 AM   
Kraftwerk

Danzig falls to germany, and the Channel fleet is destroyed for only light air losses.

The HMS Wales, and HMS Hood lay at the bottom of the bay of Utrecht.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 84
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 7:29:03 AM   
Kraftwerk

Heres the situation in europe at the end of my turn.

Losses are well within the acceptable range. 79 rifle IIs lost for 155 killed. Lost a hand full of submarines but destroyed 13 destroyer IIs, 3 cruisers, 7 subs, 2 battleships. Captured some cities in poland but theyre small, and itll be a while before they repair anyways.

Luftwaffe adds 21 fighter IVs to its roster. Building 200 riflemen this turn to make up for what ive lost so far. Mortars are added to siege units, and an artillery brigade is formed.

Things look bleak for germany, but we'll do our best to hang around for a while ;)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 85
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/14/2012 11:11:58 PM   
british exil

Downloaded the scenario, wow that is some piece of work.

The amount of units that can be built, the political side of the game is really something.

Makes me really respect the amount of work being put into this game and AAR.

Thx for all the hard work and keep it comeing, I am really enjoying the story.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 86
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/16/2012 9:18:44 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

Downloaded the scenario, wow that is some piece of work.

The amount of units that can be built, the political side of the game is really something.

Makes me really respect the amount of work being put into this game and AAR.

Thx for all the hard work and keep it comeing, I am really enjoying the story.

Mat

Thanks for downloading, Mat :) We are working on a new version with less bugs in it (we already found a few, but none are gamebreaking), and it should be available sooner or later. As for the story, it had alittle slowdown for a few reasons. Firstly some of us players had to take a small break from the game (1 day) but we are back. Secondly the amount of action is very high at this point of the game, so reporting it takes alot of time too... (But since i have the turn now, i will do my best as to make a good AAR covering what has happened). So here goes...

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 87
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/16/2012 9:35:48 AM   
ernieschwitz

January 1939, before the allied turn.

In france the following has taken place. French troops, in an effort to stop the possible breakthrough by italian forces south of Lyon, withdraw, mostly from the line they held in the southern alps. This is possibly a mistake, as Italian troops without hesitation occupy these areas, and the new french line is less defensible than the old one. A single infantry division (reinforced by heavy tanks) was left behind to guard the mountain pass between Marseille and Genoa. It was hit by Italian air, and artillery, and then retreated after a massive assault by the Italian troops. The Heavy tanks were lost. These are the first heavy tanks lost in the war. Possibly they were too heavy to move across the river, now that the Italian massbombardment destroyed the bridge.

In the north, in Belgium, artillery hits Brussels. Belgian artillery retaliates, but to no effect. The small guns are probably the reason for this, as they are below 100mm, while the German artillery is 105mm and above.

Here is a look at the French map, as the turn began.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 3/16/2012 9:36:17 AM >

Post #: 88
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/16/2012 9:42:29 AM   
ernieschwitz

1939, January, French turn.

A naval battle off the coast of Crete between the French surface fleets, and the Italian surface fleets results in an inconclusive battle. Though french officials are painting it as a major victory. The Italian losses were as follows:

1 x Battleship I
2 x Heavy Cruisers I
1 x Light Cruisers I
13 x Destroyer IIs
2 x Submarines I

The French losses were:

1 x Heavy Cruisers I
2 x Light Cruisers II
13 x Destroyer IIs

The french are already labeling it the Battle of the Agean Sea.

Post #: 89
RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game - 3/16/2012 10:17:10 AM   
ernieschwitz

1939, January, French turn continues.

A raid with night bombers on Frankfurt goes well, this despite the fact that the Germans had put up some 20mm flak guns to protect the city. Germany seems not to have produced any sort of Night Fighter, and is unable to really hurt these night bombers. While they in turn are able to hit the German production. This is a good sign.

Geneva is shelled by artillery and then a daylight raid and fighter battle above Geneva leads to heavier french losses than the Swiss airforce takes. However, most of the Swiss air is driven from the skies, and shot down. A raid in Turkey, by airmen flying out of Beirut, fails miserably, as recon had not noticed the Heavy Flak that had taken up positions there. I had hoped to take out a few turkish planes, but, unfortunately not.

Forces in stuttgart are also shelled, causing mostly structural damage, and little personel is lost.

Two divions are formed out of the battle worn divisons. 1 Division, the division "Bordeaux" is given the responsiblity to guard and protect Bordeaux to the last man, while the other division "Marseille" is given the same task for Marseille.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Anschluss or Bust; A GD1938 AAR and Test Game Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI