Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

October 19th; Morning Turn; French Player-Turn:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> October 19th; Morning Turn; French Player-Turn: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
October 19th; Morning Turn; French Player-Turn: - 3/3/2012 2:47:56 AM   
Curtis Lemay

October 19th; Morning Turn; French Player-Turn:

This shot shows the adjustments in this sector. All that was done was to fill gaps and move the Guard Cavalry into position to block any serious breach towards the bridge out of Leipzig. Next turn is the last one, so a little disorder in the line can be tolerated – no counterattacks were needed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 91
Turn 14; 0 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:48:59 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 14; 0 Combat Rounds Expended: The two pockets are being reduced. At the same time, attacks and forces are positioned to try to nip off the salient in the Allied lines. Note the microscreen in the upper right, showing the overall situation.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 92
Turn 14; 2 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:50:12 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 14; 2 Combat Rounds Expended: One pocket was eliminated, while the other held. Meanwhile, the Guard attacks blew open the Russian line, allowing major exploitation. The Russians that were holding that line are now corralled into a pocket, and other Allied units are now in a very long salient that will become a pocket if the blocking Prussian unit can be dislodged.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 93
Turn 14; 3 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:51:16 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 14; 3 Combat Rounds Expended: All attacks failed, although one pocket was reduced. More attempts are set up this round.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 94
Turn 14; 4 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:52:21 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 14; 4 Combat Rounds Expended: This time, all attacks succeeded. Two pockets were reduced and two more were created. Forces have been positioned to try to pinch off another salient, later.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
October 19th; Afternoon Turn; Allied Player-Turn: - 3/3/2012 2:53:26 AM   
Curtis Lemay

October 19th; Afternoon Turn; Allied Player-Turn:

This shot shows that the French turn ended early. That has allowed the Allies to extract the units that were in that salient that was about to be pinched off. Meanwhile, the two pockets were reduced but held out. The retreated Prussian unit was in reorg and had to be abandoned. Other than that unit, however, the rest of the Allied flank was successfully redeployed. Nevertheless, the Allies are now so thin on this sector that no attacks could be planned. The loss totals are now 240,150 Allies (and 917 guns) vs. 70,650 French (and 31 guns).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: October 19th; Afternoon Turn; Allied Player-Turn: - 3/3/2012 2:54:29 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This shot shows the Allied results in the north. Their turn ended after only one round, so results were minimal.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
October 19th; Afternoon Turn; French Player-Turn: - 3/3/2012 2:55:35 AM   
Curtis Lemay

October 19th; Afternoon Turn; French Player-Turn:

This shot shows the French adjustments in the north. No counterattacks were needed. Note the microscreen in the lower left showing the overall situation.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 98
Turn 15; 0 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:56:47 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 15; 0 Combat Rounds Expended: One of the pockets was overrun and another pocket was formed around the Prussian unit. Attacks are scheduled on it and the remaining Austrian pocket. Elsewhere, the Allied line is too well positioned to justify any more attacks on it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
Turn 15; 2 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:57:51 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 15; 2 Combat Rounds Expended: The Prussian unit was eliminated. Another attack is scheduled against the Austrians.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 100
Turn 15; 3 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 2:58:59 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 15; 3 Combat Rounds Expended: The Austrians were reduced but held out. The woods hex (with badlands) makes a good defensive position.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
Turn 15; 4 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 3:00:16 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 15; 4 Combat Rounds Expended: And it still holds out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 102
Turn 15; 5 Combat Rounds Expended: - 3/3/2012 3:01:21 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Turn 15; 5 Combat Rounds Expended: The last pocket falls and all combat ends.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 103
Final Situation: - 3/3/2012 3:02:18 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Final Situation:

This shot shows the situation at the end of the game. Final loss totals were 251,150 Allies (and 917 guns) vs. 72,470 French (and 31 guns). The Victory total was 1102 in favor of the French.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 104
Victory Message: - 3/3/2012 3:03:13 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Victory Message:

The result was a French overwhelming victory – by a wide margin.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 105
Movies: - 3/3/2012 3:07:57 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Here is the movie of the game from the French turn saves:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 106
RE: Movies: - 3/3/2012 3:08:46 AM   
Curtis Lemay

And here is the movie from the Allied turn saves:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 107
Analysis: - 3/3/2012 3:10:37 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Analysis:

Now let’s do some analysis. Here is the chart of total squad losses. Clearly, the Allies were getting thumped by the French.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 108
RE: Analysis: - 3/3/2012 3:11:14 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This chart shows the breakdown of Allied squad losses. Clearly, the Austrians got it the worst, followed by the Russians, then the Prussians. The Swedes were only lightly engaged.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 109
RE: Analysis: - 3/3/2012 3:11:52 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This chart shows the breakdown of French squad losses. It really only shows that the French forces were mostly composed of French.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 110
RE: Analysis: - 3/3/2012 3:12:26 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This chart shows the victory level. The yellow line is the victory total – which is the combination of the other lines. The blue lines show the French awards and loss penalty. The red lines show the Allied awards and loss penalty. The loss penalties are not that different. But the awards are vastly different. That reflects how many Allied units were destroyed vs. how few French units were. The dashed lines show the victory level boundaries. 600 is the boundary for an overwhelming victory. So the final victory level was over 500 points above even the overwhelming level. It also shows that the only visible drop in the victory level was turn 12 – showing again that this was the Allies best turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 111
RE: Analysis: - 3/3/2012 3:13:01 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This table shows the Allied statistics. It shows losses by turn, the final remaining, and the %lost. It shows that the Allies lost around 64.5% of their force. Breaking this down, the Austrians lost about 95%, the Prussians 57%, the Russians 56%, and the Swedes 13% of their squads. Allied rear-area squads and equipment suffered almost as bad as the front-line squads. That reflects how badly their lines ruptured.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 112
RE: Analysis: - 3/3/2012 3:13:30 AM   
Curtis Lemay

This table shows the French statistics. It shows that the French side lost about 30.7% of their force. Again breaking this down, the French lost 37%, the Poles 32%, the Italians 35%, and the Germans 43% of their squads. The French rear-area squads and equipment barely were scratched vs. the heavy losses in frontline squads. This shows how little their lines were penetrated.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 113
Conclusions: - 3/3/2012 3:14:15 AM   
Curtis Lemay

Conclusions:

Had such a result occurred in history it would have reversed the results of the Napoleonic Wars. The Austrians would certainly have been knocked out of the war – even if the Emperor hadn’t been captured. With the Tzar a prisoner, it’s likely the Russians would have to come to terms as well. The Swedes, ever blowing in the wind, would likely have switched back to French allegiance. That would leave Prussia on its own on the continent. That wouldn’t have lasted long, regardless of their choice of posture.

To see how lopsided this victory was, consider that the French began outnumbered almost two-to-one in manpower and more than two-to-one in guns. At the end of the game the French actually held a small numerical advantage in manpower (131,650 vs. 127,930) and a significant advantage in guns (721 vs. 593). Add in the French proficiency and commander advantages and the Allies have far less than parity in force – even without national defections.

As the designer, such a lopsided result has to give you pause. But, as I look back on the game, I now see things I did that sunk the Allied chances:

1. I should not have sent the Austrian III Corps and the 1st Light Division against the Leipzig Garrison. Rather, they should have been sent across the Pleisse with the rest of the Army of Bohemia.

2. The Austrian IV Corps should also have been incorporated into the Army of Bohemia’s defense between the woods instead of sitting idly on the flank. Together, these forces would have significantly increased the strength of the Allies southern defense. I had overrated the strength of that defense, and so let the French have an easier time of it.

3. I used minimize losses for all attacks. Yet the Allies never got more than three combat phases. Every attack consumed the maximum three rounds (MRPB is 3). Therefore, I could have used ignore losses for all Allied attacks without loss of combat phases. In fact, while the French often got more than three phases per turn, that was due to their positive shock bonus. I probably could have used ignore losses for them as well. But the Allies would have benefited the most from this – possibly making Blucher’s offensive in the north more effective, thereby siphoning more French support for that defense.

4. I probably did not always comply with the house rules against artillery attacks across ridge hexsides and the house rule against using cavalry against non-cavalry defenders in urban or woods terrain (house rules are easy to forget). That probably injured the Allies (mostly defending) more than the French.

5. Had Schwarzenberg not been lost on turn 2, the Allied shock penalty would have remained at 4%, not increased to 10%, for the rest of the game. That affected both combat strengths and how many formations were reorganizing each turn.

So, since the game turns on small margins, I think such a change in strategy and tactics could have allowed the Army of Bohemia to survive. Had it done so, the blown French would have been in very serious trouble by the 18th. And, correspondingly, I can imagine a more conservative French approach in the south could result in both the Army of Bohemia surviving AND the French being in good condition by the 18th. So, I’m not planning any major adjustments to the forces or shock just yet. The result achieved is one that should be part of the range of possible results.

The game took 21 days to play the 15 turns. I had always enjoyed the board wargame it was based upon and I found that I enjoyed this translation of it even more. Obviously, Napoleonic tactics can’t be perfectly modeled in TOAW just yet. But they weren’t perfectly modeled in the board wargame either. Besides, the game is scaled just beyond tactical scale, and at that scale those tactics are assumed to be under the hood.

Happy Operational Wargaming!

Post #: 114
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> October 19th; Morning Turn; French Player-Turn: Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI