Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurgent/ Uranus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurgent/ Uranus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurgent/ ... - 3/2/2012 5:55:15 AM   
marcpennington

For some reason, the 1st Guards Mechanized Corps is unable to attack on turn 1 of Red Army Resurgent and Operation Uranus. Having it selected and hovering the mouse over enemies does not switch to the normal attack mode, although the unit can move normally. Unless I'm missing some rule regarding mech corps (which is quite possible, I've mostly played 1941 til now, so kinda clueless on the late war Soviet side), the unit seems to be bugged. The problem is repeatable through multiple restarts of both scenario variants.
Post #: 1
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/2/2012 6:48:38 AM   
Joel Billings

Looks ok to me. The scenario starts with ice level of 6, which means that major rivers are not frozen and cost extra MPs to attack across due to ice flows. This was something changed in a patch and is in the readme and addendum in the living manual (US Letter manual). If you're not trying to attack over a major river, please upload a save.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to marcpennington)
Post #: 2
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/2/2012 4:18:12 PM   
marcpennington

Thanks Joel--- here's a save showing the problem. I've moved the 1st Guards Mechanized towards the western side of the Serafimovich bridgehead and it has more then enough MP for both a hasty or deliberate attack but can do neither.

If you don't have the problem when you have time to look at the save, I'll try re-installing the game on my end, maybe something became corrupted.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 3
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/2/2012 5:34:24 PM   
Joel Billings

It appears that the 1st Guards Mech Corps is frozen in the RAR scenario (but was given 50 MPs), while it is not frozen in the Op Uranus scenario. We'll have to check with Trey to find out if the frozen status was intended or not. It's not intended that a frozen unit be given MPs, so there is a mistake here. At one time during development I know this unit was unfrozen, so I'm not sure if it being frozen was intended by Trey or a data glitch of some kind.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 4
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/2/2012 5:50:36 PM   
marcpennington

Thanks for looking into it.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/2/2012 11:13:54 PM   
el hefe

The 1st Guards Mech should be frozen but assigned to the 1st Guards Army. The Army didn't activate until December when it engaged the Italians. I'll fix the assignment.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: map66

Thanks for looking into it.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
Sabre 21's perpetual arch-nemisis

Post #: 6
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/8/2012 11:00:30 PM   
marcpennington

Thanks again for looking at that. In my current Red Army Resurgent game I've noted what seems to be a related problem. Namely, the units that are frozen for 4 turns (1st Guards Army and the Voronezh front) start gradually activating early in a staggered manner from east to west along the Don. For example, on turn 2 1st Guards Army activates (though some units can only move and not attack, much like 1st Guards Mechanized Corps was on turn 1), on the next turn more of Voronezh fronts units to the west activate, etc. I'm assuming this is unintended, and that the armies were meant to be locked until the start of Saturn in late December. If it is deliberate (allowing one to make smaller attacks on the Italians and Hungarians before Saturn), then the frozen turns number on the units are incorrect.

It's easily reproducible--- just start a RAR game and advance the turns while making no moves and you'll see what I mean. This also obviously indicates that it is no action of the Germans causing the armies to activate earlier.

Other then that, great scenario and a fantastic change of pace from the "Road to" ones.

(in reply to el hefe)
Post #: 7
RE: 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurge... - 3/8/2012 11:09:45 PM   
Joel Billings

The unfreezing system causes that rolling unfreeze to happen. Ideally the system would allow the scenario designers to keep things pinned down even when near active enemy units, but it doesn't, so you get what you see in the scenario. This is not exactly historical, but the scenario was balanced with the rolling unfreeze that you see.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> 1st Guards Mechanized Corps Bug in Red Army Resurgent/ Uranus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI