Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A large but stupid opponent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> A large but stupid opponent Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A large but stupid opponent - 2/29/2012 8:44:36 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

It is suggested that the AI performs less well on large maps. The same thing happens in Close Combat, so maybe it's a common feature or wargames. I guess that makes sense given all the necessary calculations. It might not be a bad thing in an asymmetric scenario where the AI vastly outnumbers the human player but is supposed to be less able. However, there is ineptitude and there is ineptitude.

1. Does anyone have experience of ultra-large maps?

2. Does the game simply crash?

3. Does the AI just sit in its trenches and wait to be attacked?

4. Does the AI make strategically stupid decisions or tactically stupid decisions?

5. Is it still fun?
Post #: 1
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 2/29/2012 9:52:03 PM   
british exil

quote:

I've made the experience that the AI doesn't wait but probes and advances.

quote:

4. Does the AI make strategically stupid decisions or tactically stupid decisions?

Sometimes yes sometimes no. I've had games where I've encountered the spearhead with my picket lines and the AI has invested in bombers and fighters. Had to quickley build FlAK.

quote:

5. Is it still fun?

Well on a larg map and I am playing 1 town start, as I speed out to gain as much territory as possible my frontline is very thin. The AI seems to build at quicker pace than me so I am really in a pickle when our lines hit each other.
I've often had to quit a game as it is impossible to hold any line together against the huge numbers being rushed forward by the AI.
I don't want it tio be too easy but it is a pain when encountering huge stacks with maybe 2 jeep and 4 Inf.
I do enjoy the game though.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 2
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 2/29/2012 10:40:17 PM   
Kraftwerk

Played a few with a buddy. The hardest part is balance, may find halfway through the game that city placement was all out of whack.

Only once in the 2 years ive had the game.

Nope, it throws hordes and hordes of stuff at you, usually with no XP or supply.

Once it gets those things going it can be pretty devious.

I would say strategically more so than tactically, it never seems to put units into a position thats just begging for an encirclement, but then again, it makes divisions with 167 rifle men, 1 machine gun, 1 mortar, and 2 trucks...

5. Is it still fun?

Immensely if you have the time and patience to see it through to the end, if you ever manage to get a balanced game that isnt over as soon as you eclipse the AIs production numbers

Really the issue, is that the AI throws hordes of shat troops at you, and you can sit there, entrenched, letting the AI hordes wash over you, and then start your offensive against the AI with an entire army of 99 XP divisions.

Light tank IIs, when the AI has no medium tanks or atgs, with 99 xp, can slaughter literally thousands of rifle and smg men and never even take a readiness hit. Its pretty funny really.

Post #: 3
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 2/29/2012 11:47:59 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Thank you for your responses. I should add that I was thinking of taking production out of the AI's hands leaving it with just strategy and tactics to consider.

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 4
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 3/1/2012 2:18:06 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

It is suggested that the AI performs less well on large maps. The same thing happens in Close Combat, so maybe it's a common feature or wargames. I guess that makes sense given all the necessary calculations. It might not be a bad thing in an asymmetric scenario where the AI vastly outnumbers the human player but is supposed to be less able. However, there is ineptitude and there is ineptitude.

5. Is it still fun?

1. I posted an AAR of one. I've played roughly 5 or so games like that one.

2. Never happened to me.

3. Some AI's sit and some swarm. I have found that they rarely make serious amphibious operations. All AI's cluster up towards the end and pack the snot out of their last city with HQ's and sometimes engineers.

4. It doesn't seem to make any strategic descions, tactically it's often pretty good.

5. Yes and no. I have to say that AI or AI + are just impossible, AI- is just too easy. Initial placement is the definitive aspect.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 5
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 4/5/2012 2:12:42 PM   
ironduke1955

Well they could come up with a AI like the top chess computers that are able to beat the best Human chess players. However having your butt kicked may not be everyone's idea of fun. Tho a tougth opponent is often the best way to learn. So I look at the AI as a training ground for the real battles you get against a human player. This game is designed for Human versus Human play. I beleive it will be almost impossible at the moment to write enougth workable code to simulate how the human mind works on a Home Computer.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 6
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 4/5/2012 3:59:28 PM   
Kraftwerk

And if the matches between super computers and super chess players are any indication, the AI only wins once. After that the human seems to figure out where the AI goes wrong, and the AI just keeps doing that every game.

At least thats what happened with Kasporov iirc I read his book about it a few years ago but...memory, it be fuzzy.

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 7
RE: A large but stupid opponent - 4/5/2012 7:37:07 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Makes sense, the human learns and the computer doesn't.

I think the AI could be improved, although I'm probably not the one to do it, right now at least.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Kraftwerk)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> A large but stupid opponent Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI