I ask because:
1. I got this back when it came out
2. As a longtime Pacwar player I was hoping, on reflection, for something at the scale of Pacwar with the engine of WitP. I do not want to deal with individual harbour defence launches. I would prefer transport convoys with the AKs as 4x12 ship multiples than dealing with 48 individual ships (as opposed to individual combatants down to DD/DE level).
3. I played it a bit back when and there were buggy things with ghost units and stuff (that might now have been patched) that were off-putting
4. I understand the immersion factor attraction (despite not having the time...)
5. I now have a you-beaut new laptop that cost 10% as much as the computer I had in 2004 and has about 1000 times the computing power (if not more)
6. I looked at AE... 1-3 day turns... 40nm hexes....what some might consider an overly immensely detailed need to manage things like ship repairs (yes I read the post over there with the detailed analysis)... I wish it had changed the scale the other way.
So my question is, now I have a bit more time again - do I get back into this and then look around for a pbem opponent to hand me my butt who'll agree to 7 day turns, or are you all playing AE now?
Supplementary question - did anyone ever mod a campaign where they consolidated things, eg, the various engineers into a one size fits all base force that comes equipped with airfield builders, port workers, aviation support guys, etc, to simplify things?
Edit - geography usually means at best exchanging one turn a day.
< Message edited by Ian R -- 2/29/2012 10:24:18 AM >
"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock