Matrix Games Forums

Players compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta EstDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Darned Interesting Book

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Darned Interesting Book Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Darned Interesting Book - 2/28/2012 7:48:09 PM   
Canoerebel

Gents,

I am currently reading a biography of Dietrich Bonhoffer, a German theologian and pastor who opposed the Nazis from the beginning. I don't recall the exact title of the book; something like Dietrich Bonhoffer, Pastor, Poet, Soldier, Spy (I'll write it down tonight and update this post).

Many of us are famililar in a general sense with the rise of the Nazi party, but what this book did that I find especially fascinating is to present things through the eyes of one who was experiencing, rather than looking back in time from today. You see things from the personal perspective of one who knew things were going wrong from the outset.

Bonhoeffer was a young man at the time - late 20s - but quickly became an opposition leader to the Nazi party. And he didn't just walk the walk. He was executed in late April 1945, just a week or so before the war ended.

I don't recommend books often, but this one I do. [Caveat: the first 50 pages or so of the 550-page book is kind of a grind, but then it really picks up steam. Also, I think the book will be of particular interest to those who are Christians, given Bonhoffer's strong faith.]

Sincerely,

Me
Post #: 1
RE: Darned Interesting Book - 2/28/2012 7:56:35 PM   
Canoerebel

Here's the actual title:  Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Darned Interesting Book - 2/28/2012 8:31:29 PM   
rev rico

Thanks.
I'll take a look at it. I have another book by him on my shelf.

Bob

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Darned Interesting Book - 2/28/2012 8:52:26 PM   
Historiker

He also texted one of the most touching choral songs, "von guten Mächten"
He was executed two days later.

http://citizenleauki.joeuser.com/article/337894/The_Power_of_Prayer

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to rev rico)
Post #: 4
RE: Darned Interesting Book - 2/28/2012 8:53:46 PM   
simovitch

I just started reading it to/with my wife last week. She got it for me for Christmas.

simovitch

(in reply to rev rico)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Darned Interesting Book Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI