Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/16/2012 5:09:23 PM   
smokindave34

Did you bag any industry in Kharkov (T-34 factories)? You've set yourself up nicely in the south. I'd consder having 2nd panzer group head north and cut the rail lines to all those units west of Kiev - they'll never get out if you do.

< Message edited by smokindave34 -- 3/16/2012 5:10:36 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 31
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/16/2012 5:29:48 PM   
Flaviusx

You have to picket aggressively, use reserve stance, and keep your main line of resistance out of easy reach of any mobile units within buildup range. It's fairly easy to tell what is eligible for buildup.

Up north you can do a forward defense from the getgo if you commit your reserve armies in that direction thanks to the terrain. (And by "up north" I mean north of Vitebsk.) Down south...you will need to flat out run at some point. Usually by turn 6 or so. Between the Lvov opener and good management of logistics the Axis has a free run there until the rasputitsa more or less.

I've given up trying to defend forward in the Smolensk corridor. This used to be possible, now, not so much. I just throw junk in the center and picket the German and try to slow down the infantry as much as possible and force the panzers to operate without them, but your main line of resistance is going to be much further east. Rzhev-Vyazma-Bryansk is the first real place you can fight it out on a solid line in the center, and behind that you need to dig in around Moscow. It's easy for the Axis to push rails well past Smolensk by mid/late summer and you have to plan on fighting it out near Moscow for a half dozen clear weather turns or so if the German wants the place.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 32
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/16/2012 7:09:38 PM   
Mehring

Flavius, problem is, maybe because fatigue doesn't work as it should, the Germans can use all sorts of tricks to keep their advance in supply, which equals active. Bombers are now primarily fuel transports and delivering at the start of the turn shortens flight time for them and the Ju 52s. One counter measure which may work, and it would be a good argument for not disbanding every air base in sight, is cheese bombing German units to 'red' supply with lots of little raids. As with the old air war Luftwaffe nerf, until fatigue/logistics is fixed, one good cheese deserves another.

I agree with Rzhev-Vyazma-Bryansk as first MLR, my games always gravitate towards such a line, helped by delaying actions on the Berezina and upper Dnepr. It also gives some divisions time to raise their morale.

Up north, I recently tried to make a go of Leningrad, committing large numbers of green divisions. All the same, Pskov went on T2 and I should have lost Leningrad on turn 4. Don't know why I didn't, maybe all those division shells scared my opponent, but it made little difference in the end. With a fort on T1 (16AP, ouch), construction, doubtless city folk, regular units and sappers all digging on the east Neva hex it was only at level 3 by the time Germans were adjacent. T7 or 8 IIRC.

South, I'd say expect to lose a few delaying them to reach the Dnepr, turn Odessa into a thorn for their side if you can, but not if it compromises Crimea defences. Odessa can delay rail conversion along the coast and a little inland. If inadequately screened, a breakout is possible.

Dig behind the Dnepr and fight any bridgehead tooth and nail cos after that it's a long run even if your legs will carry you. Every river line is a possible pause and dig point.

My experience doesn't support your reserve and picket arguments, though. It can be useful, yes, but not a game saver. With Zhukov in STAVKA and 5/6 initiative leaders all down the line and close to the fighting, my reserve activation was minimal. When it did occur, it improved loss ratios but seldom if ever turned retreat into hold. On the good side, none of my reserves routed and some were only mid 40s morale. But balanced against morale gain from refit, reserve status, particularly for divisions and bigger, where the chances of activation are even more slender, is not a panacea and its use should, in my view, be balanced with other considerations.

Picketing likewise. Yes, it does slow the enemy at a cost, but what slowed my current opponent much more was his own determination not to eliminate 40+ pocketed divisions before November. I'll never get those divisions back, but I doubt he'll get another good crack at Moscow, Tambov or Lipetsk. I'm not saying never picket at all, but when a couple of weeks digging reserve lines will bring them back up to useful combat levels, I'm not going to chuck away even high 30s morale units unless I see an important gain. I'm pretty sure I saw a division gain SEVEN morale in a week. Unusual, but if I'm not mistaken, it happened. Experience seems to grow no more than 1 point a week though.

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 33
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/16/2012 7:17:10 PM   
Flaviusx

I actually have a real shot at holding Leningrad in my current game. Partially because AGN didn't get reinforced and partially because reserves have really come through for me in a big way by Leningrad. As of turn 14 I am still holding the Leningrad-Novgorod line.

Air resupply is altogether too generous in this game.

I do not understand the enormous disparities in results people are reporting so far as reserves go. They are activating incredibly often for me. Smokingdave is getting very good results in his 41 game, but less so in his 43 game. On the Axis side I'm pretty sure that Idaho and Ketza got excellent results with them, but Pelton claims they are useless.

Bob swears by it and has been perfecting it with the Axis longer than anybody.

I myself recently loaded the 43 GC and played a couple of turns out as the Axis just to see how good reserves could be for them. After sacking Zietzler for Guderian reserve activation was amazingly responsive without doing anything else to the German C&C.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 3/16/2012 7:20:20 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 34
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/16/2012 8:04:05 PM   
Mehring

Yes, a pz corps from Hoths group joining AGN is pretty standard in my experience as it does tip the balance of forces more than it's early employment with AGC. Likewise, one of Guderian's corps heading south for a bit. AGC can afford the loss.

I wouldn't go as far as to say reserves are useless, far from it, the threat of them disuades attackers from chancing it, which equates to less attacks. Now in my winter offensive, I'm able to disrupt a lot of German reserves with prep bombing and para drops behind enemy lines and usually beat them when they do intervene, usually regiments. Unlike mine, they are activating quite a lot though which helps my recce.

On the activation mystery, I'm careful not to overload Armies, but Front's are often at 1 1/2 X command load. Can't see how anyone's Fronts wouldn't be overloaded in 1941 though. I'll pay more attention to movement points left over at turn end and see if their over use has anything to do with it, but I suspect not.

On air supply, I was wondering where the transports get their supplies/fuel from. Does it come out of thin air? I'm glad to see they're working on some kind of throughput brake for WitW

< Message edited by Mehring -- 3/16/2012 8:05:01 PM >

“The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.”
¯ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 35
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/18/2012 11:13:58 PM   
vicberg

Turn 8

Active defense of Finland. Playing a little small-ball on the pockets.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/18/2012 11:15:55 PM >

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 36
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/18/2012 11:16:00 PM   
vicberg

More pockets. I've moved PZG3 south for better terrain

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/18/2012 11:17:40 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 37
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/18/2012 11:18:12 PM   
vicberg

I hate weak pockets. They waste time. Larry was able to resupply both pockets and I have to basically waste a turn tightening the noose.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 38
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/19/2012 7:37:08 AM   
AFV

He has thrown away so many units I don't see how he can ever recover. This is beginning a vicious cycle, he will be putting units forward before they are ready because of the desperate need, but because they are not ready you will be able to make more pockets, which in turn he will bring units up even quicker, etc. Your other opponent is in far better shape just by totally running away. Which is what Larry needs to do now.

I wouldnt worry about weak pockets, as long as you get the goodies, even if an extra turn later.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 39
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/22/2012 6:10:52 PM   
vicberg

You are probably right. There's still not solid lines anywhere along the front. His losses are approaching 2.2 million and there's still plenty of campaign season left. That's not good for him.

Turn 9

AGN

Waiting for rail lines and pushed a corp from PZG4 north to cutoff rail lines into Leningrad. Nothing between that corp and the ports to the north. I'm expecting Leningrad to be completely isolated by next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/22/2012 6:12:38 PM >

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 40
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/22/2012 6:12:29 PM   
vicberg

AGC

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 41
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/22/2012 6:14:16 PM   
vicberg

AGS (north)

My life for a bit more fuel. Couldn't quite close down the rails to Kiev. I'm poised to cut off kiev or to push northeast and possibly link with PZG3 and elements of PZG2. Might be a multiple turn effort. If that happens, it's pretty much game over.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/22/2012 6:19:25 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 42
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/22/2012 6:15:51 PM   
vicberg

AGS (South)

Moving on Stalino. This salient has gotten so big that I'm running out of infantry support. Plus I'm on fumes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 43
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/22/2012 8:36:08 PM   
CheerfullyInsane

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicberg

AGS (north)

My life for a bit more fuel. Couldn't quite close down the rails to Kiev. I'm poised to cut off kiev or to push northeast and possibly link with PZG3 and elements of PZG2. Might be a multiple turn effort. If that happens, it's pretty much game over.

My god, but that's a massive pocket.
Either he suspends all factory evac for a turn, and rails everything out of there, or he can expect an unpleasant visit from the NKVD welcoming committee.

"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 44
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/24/2012 2:09:42 AM   
vicberg

Turn 10

AGN

Larry was able to shoot a cav unit accross and cutoff my 2 northern divisions of PZG4. So, I decided to go all in for the port and cut them off.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CheerfullyInsane)
Post #: 45
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/24/2012 2:10:37 AM   
vicberg

AGC

Formed one pocket and almost an even larger one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 46
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/24/2012 2:12:37 AM   
vicberg

AGS (North) and AGC.

PZG2 almost links up and forms another large pocket. His rail lines are cut into Kiev. Not shown: Another 6-8 units in and around Kiev have been completely isolated.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/24/2012 2:14:59 AM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 47
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/24/2012 2:15:23 AM   
vicberg

AGS (South)

I could have pocketed the units further south, but instead went for the cities.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 48
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/25/2012 8:07:46 PM   
vicberg

Turn 11

AGN

I was indecisive with PZG4 for turns now. Sending first north, then east, then back up north. Germans can't be indecisive. Next turn, Leningrad should be isolated.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 49
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/25/2012 8:09:17 PM   
vicberg

AGC (North)

Infantry readying for a push on Moscow. Not much in front of me.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 50
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/25/2012 8:15:20 PM   
vicberg

AGC

PZG3 linked with PZG2 to form a massive pocket. PZG 2 linked south of the pocket. I don't envy his position right now. This could be the game. Even if he's able to break it, I have lots of infantry and armor to tighten the noose.

I'm not quite sure what Larry is doing. We don't talk at all about strategy. I have to wonder if he's focused a great deal on railing factories and not worried so much about losing troops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/25/2012 8:19:12 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 51
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/25/2012 8:15:57 PM   
vicberg

AGS (South)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 52
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/25/2012 8:16:38 PM   
vicberg

Deep South

Not forgetting the Crimea this time

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 53
RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) - 3/25/2012 11:31:47 PM   
vicberg

Larry just notified me that he conceeded this game. He couldn't break out of the massive pocket and it was simply too much for him to overcome.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/25/2012 11:32:57 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: At it again - vicberg(axis) vs. Larry Larizona55 (Sov) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI