Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Babes Guadalcanal Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Babes Guadalcanal Scenario Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/27/2012 6:16:25 PM   
JWE

Finished. Sorta. Version 1 is going up on the site today.

Scen is done, basic AI is done. Only has the basic AI file, nothing gnarly, but quite sufficient for a small scenario. We understand the AI and can do some scripting, but OOB needs to be stable first. So dink with it. And give feedback.

It's your basic Guad Scen with BigBabes Devices, Classes, Ships, and LCUs (on steroids). This is not your regular Guadalcanal.

1. You can play it straight up against either AI, just like Nik's scenario (we edited as close to Nik's, administratively, as humanly possible).

2. You can play it straight up, but swap to H2H occasionally, to add your (Babes) spice to either (both) sides.

3. It's a short scenario, so play it against somebody who thinks they know somewhat. You will be very pleasantly surprised. And do an AAR: I'm tired of all this GC nonsense.

If you like this one, and you have the stones, Brother MO is slicking up the DEI scenario and Matt wants to put our PI stuff out there. Would really like to see some AARs of smaller scenarios. That would do more to help this title, and reduce the main forum whining, than I think you realize.

Hootz gazootz.

Home of DaBabes
Post #: 1
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/27/2012 8:18:00 PM   
Terminus

I think I might come out of retirement to let myself be beaten up by this thing. Easier to contemplate a Guadalcanal scenario than the INTERMINABLE GC...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 2
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/27/2012 9:09:54 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
I think I might come out of retirement to let myself be beaten up by this thing. Easier to contemplate a Guadalcanal scenario than the INTERMINABLE GC...

Know exactly what you mean, Termie. If you like this one, we gots DEI and PI scens in the pipeline. Might even get MO (kicking and screaming) to work up a 1,000 Mile War thingy. Just for you. Kitakami and Oi were posted up there, IIRC .

Ciao. John

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/27/2012 9:39:03 PM   
Don Bowen

JWE

Haven't heard back on the last two emails. Don't you love me anymore?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 4
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/27/2012 11:23:03 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Of course I still love you, Don. How could I possibly forget that weekend in Midland ... or was it Odessa? You are the redhead I met at the Waffle House, yeah? The one with the tat, with the arrow pointing South ... ? I'm sure the name was Dona or Donita, or Donoris, or som'in with a Don in it.

If you can still do that butterfly thing with your eyelashes, I want to marry you.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 5
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/27/2012 11:25:18 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

Of course I still love you, Don. How could I possibly forget that weekend in Midland ... or was it Odessa? You are the redhead I met at the Waffle House, yeah? The one with the tat, with the arrow pointing South ... ? I'm sure the name was Dona or Donita, or Donoris, or som'in with a Don in it.

If you can still do that butterfly thing with your eyelashes, I want to marry you.

Oh, I see you know my first wife....

Anyway, well - oh just skip it.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 6
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 7:59:43 AM   
berto

quote:

If you like this one, and you have the stones, Brother MO is slicking up the DEI scenario and Matt wants to put our PI stuff out there. Would really like to see some AARs of smaller scenarios...

I will certainly give these a try. But I am not expert enough that any AAR I might write would be useful or interesting.

Early MusiChicago, http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT, http://pikt.org
Campaign Series Lead Programmer, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226
AGElint debugging toolkit, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 7
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 12:15:03 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Know exactly what you mean, Termie. If you like this one, we gots DEI and PI scens in the pipeline. Might even get MO (kicking and screaming) to work up a 1,000 Mile War thingy. Just for you. Kitakami and Oi were posted up there, IIRC .

Ciao. John

I'll probably do it hotseat. Sounds like the AI can't use the Babes toybox and I DON'T want to play PBEM.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 8
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 2:47:05 PM   
JWE

yeah, Brother MO doesn't like the AI either. Wasn't too happy about having to include it. He did a basic copy of the nominal aie004.dat file and I entered the new units. So it's a pretty vanilla AI although it does work for both sides. Nobody wants to mess with it much, so I get to take the nickel. Am working on a couple alternative scripts that 'should' get some of the right kinds of support units in the right places at the right time. Want to do some smash-and-grab in NG and also set up phase lines for IJ defense, both along the NG coast and up the Solomons chain. Still can't figure out how to get the AI to schlepp Oka from Shortlands to Tassafaronga by barge, though

There are quite a few intermediate places, like Munda and Shortlands/Buin that Japan could build up and lay in wait at. Also, since this is regimental in scale, it would be fun to set up some smaller 'gator' ops, as well as try and force withdrawal of 1st MarDiv and send it to Auckland for R&R. Would be nice to force withdrawal of some of the Australian CMF brigades once the AIF brigades got rolling, too. Anyway, just have to see how it shakes out.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 5:38:36 PM   
Buck Beach

Way off topic but since you mentioned the 1st Marine Div, I just saw yesterday a documentary of the "Chosin" Korean battle in which the 1st was a major participant. All I can say is "Damn", those of us who enjoy war games and have not "been there" are so very lucky we only know war from this vantage.

Sorry for the OT comment.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 10
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 8:27:13 PM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Way off topic but since you mentioned the 1st Marine Div, I just saw yesterday a documentary of the "Chosin" Korean battle in which the 1st was a major participant. All I can say is "Damn", those of us who enjoy war games and have not "been there" are so very lucky we only know war from this vantage.

Sorry for the OT comment.

Don't think it is OT at all.. Sounds "Right ON" to me... And Pappy was in the 2nd MARDIV!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 11
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 10:38:45 PM   
Alikchi

I think I'll give this a hotseat attempt myself. Thanks.

"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 12
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/28/2012 11:57:24 PM   
gabeeg

So for (longtime) newbs like myself, is this scenario playable vs. AI using stock/babeslite and not DaBigBabes?

(in reply to Alikchi)
Post #: 13
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/29/2012 8:19:18 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: gabeeg

So for (longtime) newbs like myself, is this scenario playable vs. AI using stock/babeslite and not DaBigBabes?

AFAIK, Scen has it's own AI file, so it'll be playable. But as JWE & Terminus said, not going to be perfect (at least not at this stage).

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 14
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 2/29/2012 3:53:09 PM   
henry1611

Thanks to the Babes Team for their efforts and persistence in bringing this scenario to life. I grabbed it last night and hope to begin soon. I will try to provide some feedback.

Appropriately enough, Terrence Malick's "The Thin Red Line" was on IFC last night. Having seen the film a couple of times previously, I am still trying to piece the whole storyline together. The cinematography is beautiful though.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 15
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/1/2012 5:15:44 PM   
JWE

Please continue henry1611, and give us your feedback. And everybody else who is messing with this. It will be appreciated and addressed, believe me.

Ok. Darn, darn, darn. Have to make some adjustments. If you are already playing, keep on. It won’t have any fundamental effect on how the scenario plays: just admin stuff.

Cleaning up useless ants that do nothing except require administrative ‘clicking’. Same stuff, but organized to alleviate some of the ‘aww shoot!’ factor (smacking self on forehead, recalling this is a 45nm hex scale game).

Clumping more unit types (LCUs and now, AirGroups) into sets of contiguous slots. Same units, just organized more tightly. This is for the AI scripting. Don’t know how Andy or Nik could keep track of every slot location of every unit that they put into the original scripts. Woof!! I don’t want to scan through 500 slots to find some Recon AG to move to Buin for AI script-3; so, I’m clumping them for this scenario.

Am considering a more realistic allocation of AvSup units for this scenario. Totals seem ok, but perhaps a fewer number of AF Units (with proportionally increased AvSup) would be better. Been consulting Lundstrom and Senshi Sosho and think it might be too easy to establish a forward base.

Am absolutely blown away by the operational totals of 22, 25, 26 Air Flotillas over time. In “July”, 25 AirFlot was at 41% of paper strength, with an amazing 17% of that listed as non-op. 24 AirFlot, in the Marshalls was similarly situated (Senshi Sosho). On Nov 11, 1942, the totals for 11th Air Fleet were 102 operational aircraft, out of a paper total of 479. As of Nov 30, 1942, best guestimates of 11th Air Fleet losses (air and ground) are about 240, so about 140 planes were lost to non-op (Lundstrom, Frank, Senshi Sosho). Approx 30% of paper strength was lost through lack of AvSup. Woof!!

Have no fear, the scenario won’t make it that hard, but it does make a scenario designer think carefully about how to handle/allocate SupSquads .

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to henry1611)
Post #: 16
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/1/2012 5:24:49 PM   
Alfred

quote:

... Am absolutely blown away by the operational totals of 22, 25, 26 Air Flotillas over time. In “July”, 25 AirFlot was at 41% of paper strength, with an amazing 17% of that listed as non-op. 24 AirFlot, in the Marshalls was similarly situated (Senshi Sosho). On Nov 11, 1942, the totals for 11th Air Fleet were 102 operational aircraft, out of a paper total of 479. As of Nov 30, 1942, best guestimates of 11th Air Fleet losses (air and ground) are about 240, so about 140 planes were lost to non-op (Lundstrom, Frank, Senshi Sosho). Approx 30% of paper strength was lost through lack of AvSup. Woof!! ...

And still we find so many people on the main forum complaining about too high aircraft service ratings reducing their abiity to launch continuously or their 1000 plane raids over a 40 statute mile wide hex not seeing all their planes participate in combat. All the time whilst arguing history supports their assertions.

Keep up the work, I'm very much encouraged by the deliberately planned steady attrition of operational aircraft caused by lack of maintenance staff.

Alfred

< Message edited by Alfred -- 3/1/2012 5:25:11 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 17
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/1/2012 7:11:43 PM   
JWE

Yeah. Boy oh boy! You have pressed a real hot button. There's almost two different AEs out there, Stock and Babes.

I thought about explaining this, but nobody but you and a couple hundred Babes players, who don't post, would get it, so what's the point.

Let the pathetic, pointless, pimple-faced, dinky-penis, people, from the main forum, whine away. They aren't worth thinking about. All we really care about is keeping michaelm from jerking the exe too far in an utterly stupid direction. Think we have that under control, now.

[ed] actually, keep them from pushing michael to to jerk the exe around. Michael does good work, but when the only people who scream are those otnay ootay ightbray, much of it goes for nought.

< Message edited by JWE -- 3/2/2012 1:11:57 PM >

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/2/2012 1:11:03 AM   
henry1611

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

And still we find so many people on the main forum complaining about too high aircraft service ratings ...

In the mod of his own Scen004, Nikmod AE - Guadalcanal, Nikademus addressed this very issue.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

4) Servicability tweak

Servicability in AE remains overly efficient (assuming adequate AV) averaging above 90% unless airbase is badly damaged or crowded. This is the critical "behind the scenes" culprit for accelerated pace of air operations. AE fortunately introduces variable "service rating" to editor. This has been tweaked upwards. Tentative schedule is a) fighters = 3, b) 2E bomber =4 c) 4E bomber = 5. Current version is testing universal service rating 5

- A word on Servicability.

I ask that players be a tad open minded regarding servicability percentages before sending comments my way that its over the top or other such. WitP, the game has conditioned players to expect "Five Nines" servicability at bases with enough AV and reletively free of bombardment. RL was not so rosy. While %'s varied from nation to nation, and situation to situaiton a more realistic "average" for an airbase under normal operating conditions and sortie count would fall more around 75%. This assumes good facilities and logistics. In situations of heavy combat and/or degraded servicing and supply situations, average servicability averages can fall as low as 30% or worse. This change will require the most 'adjustment' from players in that there will be less instances of setting aircraft to a mission and letting them go about their business. Units in heavy combat will require monitoring and rotation. Current playtest setting is Five for all units. Tentative setting is as listed in the FAQ on post 1, but more playtesting is required. Its easier to start from max and work down as needed in this case. Fortunately, this being a small scenario, testing and management duties are far lower than in the campaign game.

There is further discussion on the point but these excerpts get the point across. The full thread is at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2479726.

Something that may be worth considering for this scenario, either in conjunction with or in the alternative to adjusting AvSup.

Henry

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 19
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/2/2012 1:48:26 PM   
JWE

I usually keep as far away from airplane stuff as possible. Elf, Michael, and Timtom were very thorough and kept to a very high standard. There might be room for improvement, but so far none of us have wanted to open that box. Nik was the only one with the stones

Having AvSup in the 70% range seems to work well in prior scenarios, so we just stayed with the program. Right now, we're playing with the DEI scenario and working up some alternative Guad AI scripts. Not a lot of time to play with plane stats. If this is something you might want to look at, by all means please go ahead. Would appreciate muchly seeing what you find. Lots of people have found fun things that have made their way into the Babes database; it's very definitely an open architecture.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to henry1611)
Post #: 20
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/2/2012 11:08:14 PM   
mikkey

thanks for Babes Guadalcanal JWE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 21
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/2/2012 11:52:14 PM   
Mac Linehan

JWE -

Many Thanks to the Babes Team. Am downloading now, and will put all else on hold to play. I do understand that this scenario uses an AE "stock" install (I think!).

edit: Stock, it should have been obvious <sigh>

And, to comment on an earlier T post, it is a lot of fun to play a fast paced, limited map scenario, as opposed to slogging thru a long (but still awesome!) campaign game.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 3/3/2012 3:33:53 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 22
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/3/2012 6:12:55 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: henry1611
There is further discussion on the point but these excerpts get the point across. The full thread is at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2479726.

Something that may be worth considering for this scenario, either in conjunction with or in the alternative to adjusting AvSup.

Henry

Kinda what I'm looking at with the airplane/AvSup thing goes a little like this:

Tainan Kok had a poopload (60) of A6M2s. That's according to darn near every legitimate reference, too, so cool. But it is not known (not well known) how these were divided up; how many hikotai of how many shotai of what sizes? and does the kokutai paper strength include the paper strength of the command element as well as the formally authorized reserve aircraft? So how big does one make individual airgroup units without getting into the 'ants' syndrome and, at the same time, handle the well established fact that air ops were conducted by shotai?

Now, the Kokutai came with an integral base unit. Presumably it could split off a platoon, but how much AvSup can 50 people provide? "Ok, a bit of ammo, top off the gastank, check the oil, wipe the windshield, will that be debit or credit? Oh! you have a hydraulics problem? Darn, master cylinders are backordered from Mitsubishi. Look, just park it over there with the others. There's a Daihatsu leaving for Rabaul in a couple hours that will give you a ride. We'll call you when she's ready. No, no, you don't understand; don't call us ... we'll call you. Hey! when you come back this way could you bring us some Hamachi Sashimi??"

I think that's a fair assesment of the capabilities of advance/auxiliary bases in this early period.

Most of the various Koks are defined into rationally sized groupings so that a 3x split results in rationally sized shotai. But for a biggie, like Tainan, I think it reasonable to stick in some separate oddball shotai in oddball places, just to make things work out. Now the AvSup for a Kok comes as a tailored unit (tailored to the # of planes in the Kok). It is 'generally' a single unit for all airgroups. If your nominal airgroup size is 36 planes, your nominal AF unit will have 24 AvSup. There's some help from Air Flotilla HQs, but not much, so airgroups need to congregate at the places they did, for the reasons they did. And they will still decrease over time, so it's important to note your reinforcement schedule and withdraw your early period depleted airgroups so that your (very limited) pools can service your effective operational groups.

There were a few auxiliary airfields thereabouts, but they offered no realistic AvSup. They were staging and emergency bases only. One may use these fields in the manner in which they were intended, but there's no jar of AF unit 'ants' that will make these fields fully operational. To do that, one must move a full boogie AF unit to that base. So it is quite possible to split all the J Kokutai into a gazillion shotai, and base them in a gazillion places, but if one has a very limited number of AF AvSup units and they can only service 70% of the total to begin with, one begins to see the decreasing utility of playing coy.

It is for this reason, only, that we aren't looking at airplane stats to make things hard. I do believe we can create that monster graveyard at Rabaul by just allocating AvSup according to what was really there.

I don't want to dick with airplanes unless absolutely necessary. So try this first. See if this doesn't result in what we all know should happen. Please let me know what you find. Ciao.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to henry1611)
Post #: 23
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/5/2012 3:04:01 PM   
henry1611

quote:

[snip] So try this first.

Will do.

I appreciate the attention to this detail as the tempo of air operations is the most discernible to me (vice operational tempos of sea and land operations).

This issue reminds me of a similar issue in another series that I have a long history with, Harpoon. Originally, "ready times" for aircraft were universally 30-minutes. That lead to an unbelievably excessive sortie rate. More realistic ready times have since been included to reflect aircraft maintenance, re-fueling, re-arming, pilot fatigue, briefing, de-briefing, etc. The result is a lower sortie rate and, in my opinion, a better product. You can't just keep launching carrier aircraft every couple of hours and take out the Kola Peninsula with a single CVBG.

Look forward to the revisions.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 24
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/9/2012 7:12:40 PM   
JWE

Things keep getting betterer and betterer (differenter and differenter) the deeper I dig. Started out being a simple scenario that people could play with Babes tweaks in place, but once I got into the AI, Woof !! Have a vastly increased respect for what Andy Mac had to go through to make any of this happen.

Although there are several hundred script slots in an AI file, there are several hundred operations, and alternatives, in a campaign game. I now understand why, in a campaign scale scenario, it is simply not possible to serve up a series of perfectly done porterhouse steaks when one is trying to grill an entire cow with a blowtorch. Just keeping track of a thousand units over 4 years probably made Andy's head explode.

The good news is that the AI scripting paradigm works like a champ when it's done on a limited scale, i.e., for a scenario like this one. One can build a very extensive set of scripts with a very extensive set of triggers and alternatives using, not all but most of, the Babes unit differentiations.

Given hindsight, historical stuff doesn't work too well: I mean who's going to have the Ichiki Bn assault 1st MarDiv anyway? So, I'm working on some more interesting possibilities. Woof !!

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to henry1611)
Post #: 25
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/9/2012 7:22:16 PM   
Don Bowen

One script down, but there are up to 99 alternatives....

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 26
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/13/2012 5:49:22 PM   
JWE

quote:

One script down, but there are up to 99 alternatives....

Aaargghh!! Don't I know it. Woof !!
But there is a certain symmetrical beauty in doing AI scripting for a small scenario. One can get vewy, vewy, gwainy On the otherhand one gets a wet mackerel up side of his head unless one does Andy Mac's process of iterative AI v AI, to see where the scenario falls into the great pit of slimy fish guts.

Found a pound of mullet entrails in the specs for Japanese ships. Can't be historical in this circumstance, because many (most) of the Japanese units arrived from diverse places on their own transport: which, necessarily, went back home as soon as humping duty was over. There is no mechanism, in smaller scenarios, for ship withdrawal, so one can't plop a a Div (-), with it's lift, from Palau, into Truk without seriously skewing the operational scope of the scenario. So, one must finesse the troop lift from Truk/Rabaul, according to the AI schedule, without doing violence to the (highly historical) Japanese transport limitations.

So wired in the load costs of IJA/IJN units of value, and figured out how many, of what kind, of ships could move them. Smart folks among you will see, immediately, where the -t comes into play, and understand that an AK with a -t is an AP. THIS is part of what Babes is all about.

So, in the grand scheme of all things soft, furry, and wonderful, one needs about 3 Husimis (faster) or Adens (slower) to hump a typical IJ IR (historical). Now there's a ton of units that show up at Truk that need lift to Rabaul, or Guad, or Buin, or Buna, or Tightshorts, or DamIgottaPee, or some such utter place that the AI must, simply must, defend or conquer.

Ok, am slowly adding, a few at a time, xAKs, in special locations, so the AI can play.

More to come. Ciao. John

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 27
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/15/2012 2:10:24 AM   
Kull

A labor of love, without the love, is just labor. Like giving birth to somebody else's child. THIS is clearly not THAT. Keep the goodies comin' man.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 28
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/15/2012 3:11:19 PM   
Andy Mac

:) my head did explode I am on mark 10 head

Any help I can give let me know.

I agree for limited map scenarios getting an AI to work is a lot easier.

In many ways the AI scripter works far better at that scale where the Ai doenst need to respond to theatre wide strategic changes.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 29
RE: Babes Guadalcanal Scenario - 3/15/2012 5:03:00 PM   
JWE

I'll definitely holler! The help you have given so far is invaluable, especially your Downfall stuff. You have some really nice tricks in there and I am shamelessly stealing all I can get Really like how you set up the R&R for the Marines. Gonna do the same thing for 1st MarDiv.

Fun part with smaller scenarios is one can do quite a bit of assembly work before an assault or active defense without worrying about having enuf slots. Can force the AI to assemble 'Guchi/Ichiki/Sendai first rather than dribble them into a meatgrinder. Can also make, and move, hi-value amphib TFs to get them where and when needed and keep them from harm in the meantime, as well as park some fun units in fun places that will give the Allies some heartburn. This is getting fun! Woof !!

I'm a little bogged down on the 'goings-on' for the first 30 days. As everybody knows, the whole 1st MarDiv was on the island, while the Japanese dribbled in battalions. Since everybody knows this, the obvious day-2 move is to take Tassafaronga, start building forts, extinguish Ichiki when he pops in, build some more forts, extinguish Kawaguchi when he pops in, and then thumb your nose at sequential assaults by understrength units of Sendai and 38th, when they eventually come around to play the 'whacked in detail' game. There's simply no way to limit 1st MarDiv's operations to the Lunga area, as was actually the case.

So, in the interests of making this a "playable" scenario, while keeping it as historical as possible, I've developed a couple of "cheats".

The initial assault won't be the entire 1st MarDiv. In the first place, it really wasn't; it was just the grunts and some arty, about 1/3 of it (equipment and supply) came in on later lift. But game can't handle dividing units up in terms of 'assault elements' and 'support elements', so am making some arbitrary TF distinctions back in the rear (in NZ !!!) so one has to spend TIME playing fetch and carry. Yes, the Marines now stage out of NZ. Some of the TFs (with assault elements) get a magic move to Guad, while others (with support elements) have to plod along.

There's enough Green Marines to take Lunga, Tulagi, and yes, even Tassafaronga, but spreads out the available units pretty thinly, so a coordinated attack on any one of them, just might work. There's also a bit of prep point tweaking, so there will be some disruption, etc.. after landing. Just little things that maybe will make someone think twice about biting off more than they can chew.

Then, too, I 'cheated' a bit on the availability dates of some of the Japanese first arrivals. Just enough to make things exciting, but absolutely nothing outrageous. Spent days poring over the historical records of 17th Army communications, IJGHQ responses, yadda, yadda, yadda, and believe the emphasis shift is "plausible", given the overall operational situation in the SE Pacific at this time period. I admit that I am playing with fire, but do believe the adjustments are rational and quite justifyable, given the operational imperitives existing just before the Midway debacle.

So, some things will proceed according to what I think would be a likely scenario. Not quite historical, but plausible. Can defend my choices, but there's others that will work just as well, so I don't think I have to, so I won't. This is my scenario, after all.

The "cheats" are de minimis, and only for the first 30 days. I will make an errata doc for PBEM players so they can edit the scen to strict historicity and play it out like it was intended (includes hints as to how to handle August)

Ciao. John

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Babes Guadalcanal Scenario Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI