Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/2/2012 11:29:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: michael1776

I would like to know what the "Great Bismark Debate" centered around? Not to start
beating what, for some, is a dead horse.

-MJ

Warspite1

It's a long running debate that visits these forums from time to time. Someone says Bismarck is the capital of South Dakota, then someone chimes in with "oh no it isn't, it's North Dakota" - and it all goes downhill from there.

AAHHHAAHAHA. ROTFLMAO.

But of course everyone in America knows Bismarck is the capitol of Alaska. The Dakota's--how silly warspite1.
Warspite1

Alaska? Oh not it isn't, it is Lansing. Duh....

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 31
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/2/2012 11:30:05 PM   
parusski

quote:

Warspite1

Alaska? Oh not it isn't, it is Lansing. Duh....

OOPS. Easy to mix up states no one lives in anyway.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/2/2012 11:38:08 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

I would like to know what the "Great Bismark Debate" centered around? ...

I bet it included the controversy over how it actually sunk, i.e., the crew opening the valves to scuttle their own ship?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 33
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 12:04:17 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

I would like to know what the "Great Bismark Debate" centered around? Not to start beating what, for some, is a dead horse.

-MJ

Warspite1

It's a long running debate that visits these forums from time to time. Someone says Bismarck is the capital of South Dakota, then someone chimes in with "oh no it isn't, it's North Dakota" - and it all goes downhill from there.

Who cares if it is the north or south part of Dakota? Bismarck is a city in Dakota and that is that. It might even be enough to say Bismarck, USA.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 7:21:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

I would like to know what the "Great Bismark Debate" centered around? Not to start beating what, for some, is a dead horse.

-MJ

Warspite1

Who cares if it is the north or south part of Dakota? Bismarck is a city in Dakota and that is that. It might even be enough to say Bismarck, USA.
Warspite1

You see Michael1776, i prove my point; this comment above is just plain trolling. it always happens with the Bismarck thread. Naughty Orm

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 35
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 7:31:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

I bet it included the controversy over how it actually sunk, i.e., the crew opening the valves to scuttle their own ship?
Warspite1

On a more serious note, yes I suspect that is what it is. The "debate" most recently resurfaced in the World In Flames thread if you want to have a look; Bismarck - Why Does It Matter?

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 36
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 9:18:21 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

-MJ

Warspite1

Warspite1

You see Michael1776, i prove my point; this comment above is just plain trolling. it always happens with the Bismarck thread. Naughty Orm

Yes, I confess. I joined your trolling club warspite1.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 9:21:13 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

On a more serious note, yes I suspect that is what it is. The "debate" most recently resurfaced in the World In Flames thread if you want to have a look; Bismarck - Why Does It Matter?

Yes. I was stupid (brave?) enough to ask about the Bismarck controversy and why it matters. Thankfully I got only nice answers explaining things to me.

Anyway. Here is a link to that thread. Bismarck - Why does it matter?

< Message edited by Orm -- 3/3/2012 9:25:02 AM >

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 1:32:59 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

On a more serious note, yes I suspect that is what it is. The "debate" most recently resurfaced in the World In Flames thread if you want to have a look; Bismarck - Why

Does It Matter?

Yes. I was stupid (brave?) enough to ask about the Bismarck controversy and why it matters. Thankfully I got only nice answers explaining things to me.

Anyway. Here is a link to that thread. Bismarck - Why does it matter?

Warspite1

I don't think it was either brave or stupid. It was an honest ask. But - as is always the case - it got some ridiculous answers.....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 39
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 1:59:39 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

-MJ

Warspite1

Orm, you obviously have not read the 1981 book by Ambrose - BISMARCK, THE ILLUSION OF THE AGES, in which he writes: "Many people make the mistake of thinking the Great Bismark Debate referred to some obscure naval battle. But it does NOT. The Great Bismark debate is really about the safe storage of Brazilian Peanut Butter. It was just a secret code used by the U.S. military to prevent the Bora Boran's from stealing the BPB recipe."

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 40
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 2:12:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

-MJ

Warspite1

Orm, you obviously have not read the 1981 book by Ambrose - BISMARCK, THE ILLUSION OF THE AGES, in which he writes: "Many people make the mistake of thinking the Great Bismark Debate referred to some obscure naval battle. But it does NOT. The Great Bismark debate is really about the safe storage of Brazilian Peanut Butter. It was just a secret code used by the U.S. military to prevent the Bora Boran's from stealing the BPB recipe."

Warspite1

But do not forget Ambrose has his own detractors in this matter.

The great military writer, Marshal Mathers wrote in his 2007 comic "Ambrose? Where's you at homey?"

"Ambrose's conclusions? They was all for @&£! man".

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/3/2012 5:19:57 PM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 41
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 3:35:26 PM   
michael1776

All I have to say is... wow. LOL And here I thought we would have a high-brow discussion on why the Bismark was such a good gun platform. Or why Tovey didn't fire at a greater distance to sink her after Bismark had been crippled....

Now I know better. And having been a Nodak for a very short time I for one am insulted that no one cares about the beautiful state Dakota; with its thriving capital Butt. Why our state education system is the envy of the country, what with our 50% graduation rate from elementary school. And I will have you know that teenage pregnancy rates are down in the proud state of Dakota. So is murder by wood chipper. Yes you can walk down the street with your head held high knowing that you have the best 4th grade education that tax payer dollars can buy all the while satisfied that you won't be killed and mangled in a wood chipper. And when your walk is done you can shovel the seventeen feet of snow off your car and go for a nice round of beers and bowling while your laundry is spinning in the next building.

Your's truly,
-MJ

PS - Ambrose ain't nothin but a chump.....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 4:03:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

All I have to say is... wow. LOL And here I thought we would have a high-brow discussion on why the Bismark was such a good gun platform. Or why Tovey didn't fire at a greater distance to sink her after Bismark had been crippled....

Now I know better. And having been a Nodak for a very short time I for one am insulted that no one cares about the beautiful state Dakota; with its thriving capital Butt. Why our state education system is the envy of the country, what with our 50% graduation rate from elementary school. And I will have you know that teenage pregnancy rates are down in the proud state of Dakota. So is murder by wood chipper. Yes you can walk down the street with your head held high knowing that you have the best 4th grade education that tax payer dollars can buy all the while satisfied that you won't be killed and mangled in a wood chipper. And when your walk is done you can shovel the seventeen feet of snow off your car and go for a nice round of beers and bowling while your laundry is spinning in the next building.

Your's truly,
-MJ

Warspite1

quote:

Good god no...high-brow? No, but I am reliably informed that the Germans got a lot of points for scuttling the Bismarck...oh and their honour was intact, while the Royal Navy? They went home without honour or points as they didn't bag the Bismarck.....or something .

quote:

Sounds dreamy

quote:

That's quite a statement . But I would not repeat that in the presence of a certain 117-year old German Corporal, veteran of the Russian Front, and owner of perhaps the finest intellect in Wyoming......

May I ask, have you read much of his work before making that bold statement? In particular I would refer you to his seminal book; the 1937 classic "Excuse me sir, but I ain't no chump".

(in reply to michael1776)
Post #: 43
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 5:53:10 PM   
parusski

quote:

That's quite a statement . But I would not repeat that in the presence of a certain 117-year old German Corporal, veteran of the Russian Front, and owner of perhaps the finest intellect in Wyoming......

May I ask, have you read much of his work before making that bold statement? In particular I would refer you to his seminal book; the 1937 classic "Excuse me sir, but I ain't no chump".

Thanks for the book plug warspite1.

As for michael1776--Du Kannst mich mal!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 6:26:01 PM   
nate25

I haven't been here long, but I have figured out you need to consider the source around here.

Thanks,
Nate

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 45
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 6:29:43 PM   
nate25

In reply to Slaakman's "Deliverance" post. Sorry.

It's like hitting a girl or stealing candy from a child.

Nate

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 46
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 7:27:34 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

I haven't been here long, but I have figured out you need to consider the source around here.

Thanks,
Nate

Source? What's that?

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 47
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 7:39:33 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Nate

(I dare you to hit on this "girl");

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 48
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 8:01:33 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

Nate

(I dare you to hit on this "girl");

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 49
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 8:24:09 PM   
nate25

Parusski,

Consider the source. Like, consider where the "Deliverance" post came from.

The Slaaker is obviously way out there. So it's hard to be upset with someone so. . . challenged.

Thanks,
Nate

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 50
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 8:26:18 PM   
parusski

quote:

Parusski,

The Slaaker is obviously way out there. So it's hard to be upset with someone so. . . challenged.

Thanks,
Nate

LOL, u said it all.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 51
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 9:26:40 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Parusski,

Thanks,
Nate

"My child, you have come to me, my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.."

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 52
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/3/2012 9:37:37 PM   
nate25

Slaaker, I gotta admit, (and I hesitate to say this for fear of encouraging you), you make me laugh.

What was Telly Savalas' character in the "Dirty Dozen"? Maggot?

Or Odd Ball?

LOL

Nate

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 53
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 1:50:27 PM   
parusski

quote:

Slaaker, I gotta admit, (and I hesitate to say this for fear of encouraging you), you make me laugh.

What was Telly Savalas' character in the "Dirty Dozen"? Maggot?

Or Odd Ball?

LOL

Nate

The meds are not working.

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 54
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 5:46:11 PM   
planner 3

As per the Shermans vs Tigers.........."As Paper covers Rocks, so does Production cover Precision"

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 55
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 6:52:42 PM   
Treale

A friend of mine was with the 1st Armoured in Italy during the war. He said that three Shermans could handle one Tiger. Two to keep it busy, and one to work around to get a side or rear shot. Also he said that if you had time, you could run them out of gas. Apparently they didn't do well with MPG...

Tony

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 56
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 9:07:15 PM   
michael1776

Parusski - now that sounds decidedly unpleasant.

-MJ

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 57
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 10:05:26 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: planner 3

As per the Shermans vs Tigers.........."As Paper covers Rocks, so does Production cover Precision"

Until a strong wind blows the paper away.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 58
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 11:24:52 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: planner 3

Besides Tiger lost 'Q' and 'X' turrets.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 59
RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? - 3/4/2012 11:46:23 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

A friend of mine was with the 1st Armoured in Italy during the war. He said that three Shermans could handle one Tiger. Two to keep it busy, and one to work around to get a side or rear shot ...

But in the real world, there's infantry w/panzerfausts/shreks supporting the tank to prevent that.

In fact, during WW II my (late) father was the NCOIC of a squad of TDs that were supporting infantry advancing into a town when a Tiger suddenly came out, but it always kept it's armor facing the TDs.

The TD's tried to "shell shock" the Tiger's crew, but according to my dad, all they did was ruin the Tiger's paint job.

Fortunately, the Tiger was finally finished-off by rockets from a Thunderbolt, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sherman preferred to "Tiger"? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI