Ring of defensive bases

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

dalecox

Ring of defensive bases

Post by dalecox »

I have seen the AI build 4 defensive bases that orbit their planets but I have been unable to duplicate this. If I build the DB using the planet, it just stacks them up. If I use a construction ship and tell it to build outside the graphic ring that indicates ownership, the planet just moves away from the DB as it orbits the sun. When I tell the construction ship to build just inside the graphic ring it puts the DB on top of the planet, not just a bit off like the AI does. Can anyone tell me what I am missing here?

This is an example of what I want to do.

Attachments
DBRing.jpg
DBRing.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 95 times
ASHBERY76

RE: Ring of defensive bases

Post by ASHBERY76 »

It builds where you have the mouse cursor.
dalecox

Post by dalecox »

I know.  Please read again.  The problem is they will not stay in orbit around the planet.  If I build tell the constructor to build like it looks in the pic above, it builds them but they do not follow the planet.  The planet moves away from them and I am left with a ring of DBs around nothing.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

You build them through the planet build window and not a constructor.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

In Legends, click on planet, click on the hammer (build menu) click on defensive base 4 times. It will build the ring like the AI uses.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
dalecox

Post by dalecox »

Ah, thank you, WoodMan! I have just been clicking on the planet, then right clicking to build the DB. That just stacks them instead of ringing them. I will start using the bottom icons more, I suspect there are probably some other differences as well.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Dalecox;

You can also right click on the planet (bringing up the selection menu),
place your cursor by the planet where you want the Defensive (or any other) Base
to be built, then left click. [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

right click the palent, move the cursor out from the planet and click db. I always to a triangle pattern on my planets.

Which tends to be enough with a base centered on the planet defend it. Then assign a few ships to the planet and most of teh time the AI can not break through. Unless they have found advanced ships.
dalecox

Post by dalecox »

ehsumrell1 & Dracus,

That's exactly what I was doing that did not work. The planet would move away in orbit and the bases refused to follow it. I was left with a ring of bases around nothing and the planet was unprotected.

The hammer icon does what I want. I don't know why the other method did not work for me if it works for you.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Curious. It should work for you as long as you don't click to far away from the planet.
Try making sure you've paused the game while placing your base. That's the only thing
I can think of at this time. [&:]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

Maybe not:
* Right click planet to bring up the build menu
* Then move the cursor to where you want to have the base

But:
* Select planet
* Right click a bit off the planet to bring up the build menu
* Then simply select the base.

??

I am doing it instinctively now and don't even remember the exact procedure. But I think the base should build at the spot where you opened the menu.

Also, iirc, the distance from the planet must not be too great, or the base will build over the planet's center? This didn't happen to me in a very long time though. Maybe it is something that was one happening, but patched at a later point.
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

it builds where you open the menu. ALways pause when building so that they are in orbit and not in space.

Return to “The War Room”