Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Persistent AP's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> RE: Persistent AP's Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/1/2012 6:10:54 PM   
Lebatron

Well as analogies go that one is poor. Yes the rules did change when Storms of Steel came out. In SoS actions became more IGOYOUGO then it was in AtB to begin with. It was a very good change, and since SoS all new editions of CoH will use the new rule.

But to say persistent AP is the bees knees, like you are implying, and that it's a natural evolution we all should embrace shows you really don't understand the nuances of tactical depth that activation provided. Persistent AP is a beginners system. I have always said that, and always will. It's fine to play that way and fun too, but being an advanced player I want the extra depth that activation provides. I enjoyed having to mull over whether or not I should pass and take the AP loss if I had an activated unit. In persistent AP no unit losses any AP if you pass. I enjoyed forcing an opponent into switching units and thus forcing him to lose the AP on it because I presented a more important threat elsewhere. In persistent AP my opponent just reacts in the new location without losing the AP on the other unit. So if that's the case, then why would I bother jumping to a new location on the map to do what is basically a flanking move. I does not hinder my opponent in any way under persistent AP to try this flank. It hardly matters what order you execute attacks in, but under the activation system the order of execution is everything. That is why CoH won awards. My options for cleaver tactics are very much diminished under persistent AP. In my book, anybody who says they think persistent AP is superior just tells me one thing. That they are a CoH novice.

Not all game changes are wise you know. Does Chess need to evolve a simultaneous movement system just to claim it's not stagnant and that it does indeed evolve?

Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 31
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/1/2012 11:27:15 PM   
vonRocko

Sounds like a very important change to me. Why did they go fix something that wasn't broken. For once, couldn't a pc version match the boardgame?

(in reply to Lebatron)
Post #: 32
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/2/2012 2:21:37 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Sounds like a very important change to me. Why did they go fix something that wasn't broken. For once, couldn't a pc version match the boardgame?

Actually, I believe that there's more than one version, which is to say that it's a work in progress.

As new product has emerged, the rules have been modified and updated.

One can only assume that changes in content were incorporated based on customer input.

If you're interested in the boardgame, you can visit the company website here:

http://academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes

Edit: I'd also note that Erik Rutins mentioned further up the thread that the changes that have been incorporated in to Eric Babe's computer version were made at the behest of the boardgame designer. If that's not the case, or if I'm misinterpreting Erik's comments, then I apologize.

< Message edited by Prince of Eckmühl -- 3/2/2012 2:45:53 AM >

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 33
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/2/2012 4:51:40 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl
Edit: I'd also note that Erik Rutins mentioned further up the thread that the changes that have been incorporated in to Eric Babe's computer version were made at the behest of the boardgame designer. If that's not the case, or if I'm misinterpreting Erik's comments, then I apologize.

No need for apologies: you are absolutely correct. Uwe Eickert, the designer of board-COH, is in favor of the way WCS has implemented AP's in computer-COH. And, to be honest, we wouldn't feel right releasing a computer version of COH that caused him to have reservations.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 3/2/2012 4:52:38 AM >

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Post #: 34
Persistent AP's - 3/2/2012 12:41:29 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

Gil R:
How does the implementation of Persistent AP's affect group activations?  Wouldn't the whole concept of Persistent AP's negate the use of group activations?

< Message edited by KEYSTONE07950 -- 3/2/2012 12:42:46 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 35
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/2/2012 6:15:22 PM   
Gil R.

Groups share pools of AP's, as in the original. After an action the AP's of each group member are reduced to the AP level of the one with the fewest AP's. And, in keeping with the persistent AP mechanics one can create and disband groups each turn. Overall, group movements remain useful, and are not "negated."

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to KEYSTONE07950)
Post #: 36
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/5/2012 8:20:11 PM   
london23

With persistent AP, is there any need to have the concept of opportunity action in the game? With persistent AP wouldn't you just activate a unit where under the old boardgame rules you might have had to take an oppotunity action and marked the unit as used?

Post #: 37
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/7/2012 4:10:23 PM   
genehaynes

I definitely am interested in purchasing this game. I don't own the boardgame, but I've downloaded the rules for AtB and SoS. Am I correct in assuming the PC version will more closely follow the SoS rules, which allow for multiple unit activations.

(in reply to london23)
Post #: 38
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/9/2012 6:04:43 AM   
Gil R.

London23,
Yes, you are correct.

genehaynes,
Yes, closer to Sos in this respect.

(in reply to genehaynes)
Post #: 39
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/9/2012 6:46:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

We've heard the feedback on this and we're going to test a gameplay option that will allow non-persistent APs before release. With any luck, it will be in the release version. Persistent APs are still the main mode of intended play for the computer version of COH, and this decision was made together with Uwe during development, but based on community feedback I'd say the chance is close to 100% that we would look to implement the full original non-persistent AP system as a gameplay mode in the future as well.

We hope that the gameplay option we are looking at now will work out and allow those who want to try a more classic COH AP gameplay to do so at release, though more work would be needed in the future to fully implement the entire non-persistent AP system and all its options.

We also encourage you to give the persistent AP system a try - this has Uwe's full blessing and after playing with with it through months of beta versions, it makes for a great game of COH. In my opinion, especially given that we did this fully together with Uwe, this is a variant of the official COH rules that works well on the computer, where the type of AP tracking that would be more of a chore on the tabletop is not as much of a concern.

I think you'll find the implementation of Fog of War and Line of Sight to also add to the gameplay of COH when played on the computer, without making it something other than COH.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 40
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/9/2012 7:34:05 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

Erik:
More than I could have hoped for in the initial release. Thank you.

I will give Persistent AP's a chance upon release.

Haven't been this excited by a PC game in some time.

I asked in another thread, even though the boardgame is not yet release; will Matrix publish Uwe's civil war game? It looks really good.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 41
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/9/2012 7:41:22 PM   
vonRocko

Wow, that is great Erik! You guys are tops!!

Post #: 42
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/9/2012 7:50:16 PM   
Keunert

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 43
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/11/2012 4:10:21 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KEYSTONE07950
I asked in another thread, even though the boardgame is not yet release; will Matrix publish Uwe's civil war game? It looks really good.

The fact that no one has commented on your questions suggests that it cannot be commented upon.

(I have no comment, but don't like seeing questions ignored.)

Post #: 44
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/11/2012 1:27:15 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

The fact that no one has commented on your questions suggests that it cannot be commented upon.

Nudge, Nudge………………………………………. I won’t tell anyone. You can comment to me.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 45
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/11/2012 4:17:34 PM   
Keunert

say no more, say no more!

Post #: 46
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/12/2012 5:25:20 AM   
london23

What is the simultaneous play for the game? Does each player make moves at the same time in real time? Or does each player designate a move and then the moves are played out simultaneously like in Combat Mission?

< Message edited by london23 -- 3/12/2012 5:26:05 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/12/2012 10:05:16 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

quote:

Your doing what i did when I was a kid..."dad we got your Xmas present today...it isn't a shirt"

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 48
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/12/2012 12:40:22 PM   
Chris Merchant

quote:

What is the simultaneous play for the game? Does each player make moves at the same time in real time?

It's pretty much IGOUGO but broken down into single actions rather than long turns, so each player only has to wait a few seconds between turns (depending on your opponent of course). The boardgame activation system adds extra depth to the decision making processes for both players.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 49
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/12/2012 6:00:10 PM   
london23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

quote:

What is the simultaneous play for the game? Does each player make moves at the same time in real time?

It's pretty much IGOUGO but broken down into single actions rather than long turns, so each player only has to wait a few seconds between turns (depending on your opponent of course). The boardgame activation system adds extra depth to the decision making processes for both players.

Okay, that's what I thought it was (like the boardgame version), but then I read in the game discription ("simultanious play") and thought maybe it was somthing more like Combat Mission.

(in reply to Chris Merchant)
Post #: 50
RE: Persistent AP's - 3/29/2012 8:42:28 PM   
DaveyJJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: tide1530

The Civil War map is a beauty for sure.  Like I said over at BGG people should advocate to have the developers make Persistant AP's an optional rule...an easy enough fix in a patch. It was done with extreme assault in the JTCS game. 

Crickey, that's lovely.

(in reply to tide1530)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> RE: Persistent AP's Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI