Difficulty help

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

fatman

Difficulty help

Post by fatman »

I could really use some advice/help here...
I've played 90% of the game through (Panzer Corps) on the easiest difficulty setting to the point where it it so easy it really isn't fun anymore but as soon as I bump it up one notch I get crushed. I'm fairly new to these games on the comp but I've been playing turn based board games for years. If anyone has any suggestions that may help a newbie to the comp versions of these games it would be greatly appreciated.
buchand

RE: Difficulty help

Post by buchand »

Your not alone! I can't even say I'm new to computer games in general and played all the old X General games. I knwo the theory that its all about combined attacks but like you I find the step a bit steep to be enjoyable.
Maybe its just us [&:]
Plan? What plan? Attack!!
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Well the most informative forum is at Slitherine:

Common Questions about Panzer Corps:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=27283

Shared Tips and Tricks playing Panzer Corps:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=26367

Cheat Codes and Hotkey List:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=25990

All this info should help to improve your playing skills. have fun!
terje439

Post by terje439 »

What is the main problem, do you lose too many units or do you fail to take the objectives?
What sort of units do you use? How many of each?

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Also besides the other links pointed by Tim, there are few AAR's that you could take a look into.
For example:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=26166
And why not hear some an AAR narrativer about DLC 39?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=32405

Terje is a "veteran" PzC player, he can help you to.
I'm sure both of you'll be able to bump up the level.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Thanks for the links and fast replies, it seems like most people who are involved with these types of games truly want to help and promote the genre.

My biggest problem seems to be my units are taking big hits when they try to take an objective, so much so that I rarely capture more than one or two. I will move 2-3 units in to attack/capture and after two rounds the comp is still holding out and all three of mine will have taken some serious hits. It is so bad that usually my entire force will be wiped out before I've even advanced 20% of the map. I will read up on the previous posted links and attempt to brush up my skills and provide some better feedback. Concerning the questions, I started the grand campaign the other day (1939) so the units were ones I was given and as far as reinforcements go when I do reinforce I go for elite however it seems like if I reinforce units I am at a disadvantage on completing the match in the allotted rounds. I also try to pay attention to terrain and constantly check to see which units of mine excel at attacking the target and what the target is vulnerable to.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

A few pointers (disclaimer : this is how I do things, others do things differently, find out what works best for you).

1. I split my panzer units in two "pools". 1 for attacking soft targets(Pz IVs) and one for attacking hard targets (Pz IIIs).
I then figure out what units I will be up against, and send my anti-hard panzers against enemy heavy tanks etc. The soft target panzers are still attacking hard targets, but not as the first attacker, they are spent on destroying weakened enemy heavy targets or attack soft targets in the open (here they are often the first attacker).

2. If a target is extremly difficult to take out, I will move units close to it first, and then attack after I have three or so units close to the target (to give it penalties for flanking).

3. Entrenched infantry/AT guns are where my engineers earn their money.

4. Before attacking a peticulary difficult enemy, I will attack with aerial units and artillery before making the attack on the ground. This usually weakens the enemy by killing some points, then softening it up by leaving supressed troops. If possible I will attack by two aerial units per trun (this means you need to have an aerial unit above the enemy the turn before you intend to launch the attack). Level bombers are quite useful when they gain some experience, as these guys tend to leave alot of the enemy unit supressed.

5. If a unit is down to 1-3 in strength, I tend to pull it back from the front and leave it untill the scenario is over and not rebuild its strength untill inbetween two scenarios. This saves alot of prestige points as reinforcements are cheaper when not on the map. Just make sure you do not pull too many units back as you need to keep pushing.

6. A TD is a good buy as it gains experience. These guys tends to have heavier guns than the tanks of the same time, making them effective against enemy heavy tanks (be warned, they are quite vulnerable on their own!).

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

I do the same basically as terje, specially follow points 2,3 and 4 by letter.
Usually don't reinforce a unit with elite reinforcements, and when mostly is done at deployment phase which is cheaper.
deducter

Post by deducter »

I think this is the first time I'm posting on these forums, I usually post on the Slitherine forums.

I'm the guy doing those video narrations VPaulus alluded to. If you watch my videos, you will see play at a high level, with me explaining some of my thought process. You can sort of imitate my tactics and strategy or just watch to get a better understanding of the mechanics of the game, and specifically if you just want to know how to beat a mission you can see how I do it. I play on my custom difficulty with -75% prestige, but whatever I do should be applicable for the standard difficulties. I only have the first 5 missions for 1939 up so far, but making the videos is actually less time-consuming than I thought, so more are incoming.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot0YSB53FoU

Return to “Panzer Corps”