Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HTTR scenario play order?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> HTTR scenario play order? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HTTR scenario play order? - 2/24/2012 8:58:08 AM   
woffle

Hello,

for BftB there was some map in an PDF listing the scenarios by date and scope, so one could follow the campaign more easily. Is there any such info available for the HTTR scenario pack?

I'm not really familiar with the Market Garden campaign, I think the basics are that the 6AB dropped over Arnhem, the 101st on the road to there and that some British Corps tried to breakthrough over a highway to relieve both forces. Based on this, would it be best to follow a chronological order of scenarios, or a unit based?
Post #: 1
RE: HTTR scenario play order? - 2/24/2012 9:06:36 AM   
wodin

You might want to check the old HTTR forum. I'm sure there will be a list there.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to woffle)
Post #: 2
RE: HTTR scenario play order? - 2/25/2012 6:52:53 AM   
Bazza042

quote:

ORIGINAL: woffle

Hello,

for BftB there was some map in an PDF listing the scenarios by date and scope, so one could follow the campaign more easily. Is there any such info available for the HTTR scenario pack?

I'm not really familiar with the Market Garden campaign, I think the basics are that the 6AB dropped over Arnhem, the 101st on the road to there and that some British Corps tried to breakthrough over a highway to relieve both forces. Based on this, would it be best to follow a chronological order of scenarios, or a unit based?

Each of the scenarios shows a start tme in the briefing paragraph

I think that it might be worth you getting a book from the library which gives a summary of the operation as you're slightly adrift in your assumptions.

Broadly the British XXX Corps was the 'Garden' (ground element) of the operation and was planned to get to Arnhem and beyond.

The 101st and 82nd Airborne were dropped to sieze the vital bridges along along the route between Joe's Bridge, which was XXX Corps starting point and Nijmegen. They were also tasked with keeping the route open. The 1st Airborne (British) were responsible for seizing, and holding, the bridge at Arnhem. This bridge was over the last major waterway separating XXX Corps from the Rhur. The first elements of all three airborne divisions broadly were dropped simultaneously at about the same time that XXX Corps started its push along the 'corridor. The airborne operation was the 'Market' element. The operations being interlocked, all broadly started simultaneously
so the scenarios can't sensibly be put into chronological order

So, ignoring the fictional scenarios, the order is:

1. Joe's bridge - which was an operation a week earlier than MG - where XXX stumbled upon, and secured, an unblown bridge across the first water obstacle.

2. Screaming Eagles (101AB) Over Hell's Highway

2. All American (82AB) over Nijmegen

2. Red Devils (1AB) over Arnhem

(These three all took place 'simultaneously')

3. Breakout from Joe's Bridge (XXX Corps) which occurred about 90 minutes later than the airborne drops

4. Operation Garden Final Phase

and thats it.

There are a a couple of shorter scenarios which just take part of the 1AB and 82AB actions together with a very large scenario which combines the 1AB, 82AB and latterly the XXX Corps efforts between Nijmegen and Arnhem.

A very brief summary which I hope answers your query. And for those who are familiar with Market Garden please don't point out all the bits I missed out.....

(in reply to woffle)
Post #: 3
RE: HTTR scenario play order? - 2/27/2012 8:42:05 AM   
Bakerstaffel

I have had this saved a for long time on Notepad (from the original HttP Forum), now it may come in handy once again...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=659304&mpage=1&key=򡃨

scenario order? - 7/15/2004 2:57:14 AM

Golf33
Matrix Elite Guard

Several of the historical scenarios occurred simultaneously. For example, the airborne drops all happened at around the same time, as did the breakout from Neerpelt. To get as close as possible to the feel of the historical operation, I would suggest the following order of play:

1. Joe's Bridge. This was the battle to establish the Neerpelt bridgehead and was fought before MARKET GARDEN commenced.

2. Breakout from Joe's Bridge. This covers the first 24 hours of XXX Corps' advance, as far as Eindhoven.

3. Eindhoven Historical Campaign. This covers the airborne drop at Eindhoven and the German counterattacks, and includes a limited part of XXX Corps' advance (though units not historically involved in fighting in this area are not represented).

4. Nijmegen Historical Campaign. This covers the airborne drop at Nijmegen and the German counterattacks, and again includes a limited part of XXX Corps (those units actually involved in fighting in the area). If you did really well in the Breakout from Joe's Bridge and the Eindhoven Historical Campaign, you might want to pick "Favour Allies" for Allied Reinforcements to reflect XXX Corps arriving earlier; on the other hand, if you did poorly, you could pick "Favour Axis" for Allied Reinforcements to reflect the greater delay in relieving the paras.

5. Devil's Hill (optional). This scenario covers one of the German counterattacks on the American Airborne near Nijmegen. This is sort of included within the Nijmegen Historical Campaign but you might want to play it as a discrete scenario since the historical campaigns often pan out differently (due to different decisions made on both sides) and you might not get this particular battle in the campaign.

6. Arnhem Historical Campaign. This covers the British Airborne at Arnhem and the fight of XXX Corps to transit The Island and relieve the bridgehead over the Neder Rijn. If you did very well (or very poorly) on the preceding scenarios, you might want to try the Historical Plus Campaign and modify the Reinforcement schedules to reflect the advantage/disadvantage. However, be aware that the Historical Plus Campaign does change the drop zones for the British Airborne.

7. Second Wave. This is covered by the Arnhem Historical Campaign but provides a specific scenario depicting the British attempt to secure the drop zones for their follow-on forces.

8. Op Garden - Final Phase. Like Second Wave, these events are part of the larger Arnhem Historical Campaign but this scenario gives you the option to fight the specific battle faced by XXX Corps in their attempt to transit The Island and reach Arnhem.

That just about covers it I think .

Regards

quote:

"I am not now, nor have I ever been mechanically inclined."

(in reply to woffle)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> HTTR scenario play order? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI