Gnikam eht ni retsasid - Oloren USSR, Terje Axis. Oloren now permitted.

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

terje439

Gnikam eht ni retsasid - Oloren USSR, Terje Axis. Oloren now permitted.

Post by terje439 »

So, a new game against my esteemed opponent Oloren, since I was starting to get the hang on the USSR, swiching sides makes sure I am back to where I was at the start of the previous game [:D]
Settings are the same as in the previous game (FOW (but not movent fog of war), Non-Random weather, non locked HQ support)

Primary Goal - Autovictory/Major Axis Victory
Secondary Goal - Minor Axis Victory with more than 170 points
Tertiary Goal - Hold Berlin

I guess the tertiary is the best bet, but let us see how poorly I can run the Axis.
Any comments are welcome, be it to point out just how incredibly stupid/idiotic/unexpected/supreme(yeah right!) a move I made was.
Feel free to make suggestions, and as usual, if there is a specific screenshot you want to see, just ask and I will see what I can do (I will try to make a pre-end turn save every turn this time around).

Hope atleast some of you will enjoy this AAR.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
terje439

RE: Gnikam eht ni retsasid - Oloren USSR, Terje Axis, No Oloren

Post by terje439 »

Turn 1

Overall
Well, I REALLY have no idea as to how I did as my only game with the Axis is one (1] game against weak AI.
I think the first mistake has been made by making too many hasty attacks. All in all a total of 81 attacks were made (more could have been made, but I wanted to make sure the enemy units did not rout out of the pockets I made).

Losses
Axis : 7.000 troops and 70 AFVs.
USSR : 95.000 troops and 923 AFVs.
USSR aerial losses : 1548

Comments on losses
Close to 85% of AFV losses were of the types Pz Ib, PzIIc, Pz 38(t).
I think I destroyed far too few USSR aircrafts in the opening turn.

Cities captured
Tarnopol is taken, but left unguarded for the moment.

Worries
Did I just fail to activate Rumania??

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (655.19 KiB) Viewed 846 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 1 Southern map section

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (702.76 KiB) Viewed 846 times

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 1 USSR units destroyed

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (327.53 KiB) Viewed 846 times

Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Hi Terje

you will activate the Rumanians with that southern move, however in the center and north it will be a little rough for you.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Hi Terje

you will activate the Rumanians with that southern move, however in the center and north it will be a little rough for you.

Thank you [:)]
Tbh I expect it to be rough all over hehe. I will swing some units northwards in a few turns, I just needed them to complete the "Lvov pocket". Too many failed attacks by the infantry ment I had to used panzer/mechanized units to move some USSR units, leaving me some MPs shy in regards to reaching the Rumanian border.
Was not sure if I had to have a unit further east to activate Rumania, but I take your word for it, atleast something went well on turn 1 then [:D]

Terje

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I think that Lvov pocket will hold.

He can break a couple pockets west of Minsk

And the AGN opening was not very good, sorry terje. You should have rolled units more than try to pocket them. The AGN opening, you should be able to take Riga, get over the Daugvina with most of your mobile units, and seal-off all Baltic ports forcing the remaining Reds to surrender. You should be able to complete annihilate NW Front.

But AGS was a good opening
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I think that Lvov pocket will hold.

He can break a couple pockets west of Minsk

And the AGN opening was not very good, sorry terje. You should have rolled units more than try to pocket them. The AGN opening, you should be able to take Riga, get over the Daugvina with most of your mobile units, and seal-off all Baltic ports forcing the remaining Reds to surrender. You should be able to complete annihilate NW Front.

But AGS was a good opening

Oh well, 1/3 good I can live with [:D]
I realized the mistake when I had posted my turn, but got too scared by those scouted/held results I got I guess. Well, still a few years to get across the river hehe.

I think my biggest challenge will be to adapt to the fact that even if I was hurt in the previous game by loss of units, it might not be the best way to go.

Terje

Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

You got the 1/3 that mattered the most by far right. Your errors elsewhere can be repaired, there's plenty of slack for taking Leningrad, and AGC can't really get much past the Smolensk corridor anyways until supply and infantry catches up.

Most of the units of Western and NW front are garbage with ultra low morale. On the Soviet side I treat them as completely expendable and indeed don't really want them to live too long; feeding replacements into 35 morale units is mostly a losing proposition, better that they go into a shell or the reserves.

WitE Alpha Tester
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Good luck and good hunt, Terje [:)] Don't stop until you get to Vladivostok! No less!
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
juret

Post by juret »

good luck terje :)

Put pressure by move east asap while your panzers got Benziin in their tanks :)
Hes units are low morale and cant move long.

spread luftwaffe out :)
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Worrynot terje,I think the slow start with AGN and AGC might be a blessing in disguise. From his own experience with the Germans and in far too many AARs the Axis cut deep on turn one. Let him think he can take advantage of your being new to the Axis and perhaps he'll fight forward. One thing you really need to try for in 41' is taking Leningrad so you free up the north and get those Fins covering ground for you. My 2 cents........and best of luck.
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Rest assured the moments of panic you feel are nothing compared to the existential angst of the Axis player.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Thank you all for kind words of encouragement [:)]
We will see how I manage to mess up, I am sure I will find a way [:D]

Plan for -41 : Leningrad, Dnepr Line and if possible Moscow and prepare a fallbackline for the blizzard.

Need to learn : Unless the USSR, the Axis must manage his manpower better, and unlike the USSR in -44 and -45 I cannot keep using all these hasty attacks.

Need to do next turn : Adjust aerial settings BEFORE I fly any missions (only took me close to 10 turns as the USSR to remember this[X(]).

Terje

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Turn 2

Overall
The infantry start mopping up the pockets that was made on turn 1, and the panzers/mechanized keep pushing. The attacks out of Rumania are a disappointment, but I guess it will be better next turn when deliberate attacks can be made from the east side of the riverline. It also seems the USSR are attempting to make a line far to the west, this I think I like, as the smaller rivers are easier to breach.
I still make too many hasty attacks, I think I need to write "few hasty attacks" on a Post-it and stick it to my screen.
We make 136 attacks, resulting in 2 scouted, 23 held, 59 retreat, 7 rout, 1 shatter and 44 surrenders.

Losses
USSR : 369.000 troops, 5.130 guns, 3.029 AFVs and 380 planes.
Axis : 31.000 troops, 245 guns, 140 AFVs and 44 planes.

Cities captured
Lvov, Brest-Litovsk, Vilnius, Minsk and Riga are all captured. Riga was evacuated, as was most of the river line close to the city, so we simply moved in.

Units destroyed
8 armored divisions, 4 motorized divisions, 24 rifle divisions, 4 AT artillery regiments, 2 corps artillery regiments, 6 PVO AA regiments, 5 NKVD border regiments and 4 fortified regions.

Pools
As in the previous AAR, all numbers are from the "active" pool.
Manpower : 14.204.
Vehicle : 209.819.
Armaments : 90.069.
Hiwi : 5.279.

Plan for next turn
1. Mop up the remaining enemy units that are trapped.
2. Bring up the infantry to assault the enemy positions.
3. Keep encircling enemy units with our panzer/mechanized divisions.
4. Keep pushing east with the Rumanian forces.
5. Keep pushing towards Leningrad with AGN.

Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (583.35 KiB) Viewed 846 times

vlcz

Post by vlcz »

Don´t be so wary of hasty attacks, at this stage when you need speed I would recommend most attacks (and all except river crossing ones made by mobile forces) being hasty ones, even if you need 3 or four such attacks to win that is less movement points than a prepared assault.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: vlcz

Don´t be so wary of hasty attacks, at this stage when you need speed I would recommend most attacks (and all except river crossing ones made by mobile forces) being hasty ones, even if you need 3 or four such attacks to win that is less movement points than a prepared assault.

Ok, will not worry SO much about hasty attacks then [:)]

Terje

timmyab

Post by timmyab »

Hasty attacks are fine but make sure the odds are favorable as much as possible when attacking like this with mobile forces.Get that morale up above 85 and keep it there.This is especially important for the first few months of the war.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: timmyab

Hasty attacks are fine but make sure the odds are favorable as much as possible when attacking like this with mobile forces.Get that morale up above 85 and keep it there.This is especially important for the first few months of the war.

Yup, but I guess I have too easy to take the "printed" pre battle CV ratio too literal.

Terje

smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

One thing that I find useful in determining when to use a hasty attack is to set your soft factors to "morale". If the Soviet units have low morale then I'm more inclined to use a hasty attack and the Soviet unit is more likely to rout.

Return to “After Action Reports”