Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Display losses?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Display losses? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Display losses? - 2/20/2012 5:13:14 PM   
Chuck B.

Hi,

Is there a way to show the losses of a unit? It would be great to get the "reverse" info of the "E&S" tab, i.e. the actual losses of a unit. It should make a difference if, for example, an armored unit loses it's tank or if it's losing other pieces of equipment and it would be great ti see at a glance what is "missing".

Chuck
Post #: 1
RE: Display losses? - 2/20/2012 7:08:57 PM   
WilliePete

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

Hi,

Is there a way to show the losses of a unit? It would be great to get the "reverse" info of the "E&S" tab, i.e. the actual losses of a unit. It should make a difference if, for example, an armored unit loses it's tank or if it's losing other pieces of equipment and it would be great ti see at a glance what is "missing".

Chuck

Currently, I believe the best way to check a unit's casualties is to look at the "power" bars on the Gen tab. I was about to ask the same question though. I've played the Demo a few times and I'm considering to buy. I just thought it odd that a game that's so detailed would leave out a detailed listing of casualties for each unit. It could simply be added to the E&S, or with an extra tab on the unit.

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to Chuck B.)
Post #: 2
RE: Display losses? - 2/21/2012 12:39:05 AM   
wodin

I've been asking for a detailed AAR for each unit for a few years now. We do have a much better AAR at the end of the scenario, however I want one for each unit. Infact I'd like to be able to see how many men\afv's have been lost and how many kills they have got or taken prisoner at any time during the battle. Maybe another tab with a detailed breakdown on it that is constantly updated. I've always found the bars to generic.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 3
RE: Display losses? - 2/21/2012 8:58:48 AM   
Chuck B.

Thanks for your feedback! Ideally, this information would not only be provided in an AAR but during battle (maybe by pressing a button in the "E&S" tab.
Here is why I would like this feature: I observe the battlefield and see that a unit is taken several losses (via the red indicator in the bottom right) - I would like to quickly see what these losses were to assess if the incoming fire is a serious threat. So, if I'm looking at an armored company, a loss of some men (while very unfortunate) is less concerning than the loss of some heavy tanks (which will also tell me that my unit is on the receiving end of some effective AA fire)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Display losses? - 2/21/2012 9:02:45 AM   
wodin

Chuck thats what I said..I want it during the battle on another tab.

(in reply to Chuck B.)
Post #: 5
RE: Display losses? - 2/21/2012 9:15:49 AM   
Chuck B.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I'm currently reading through MarkShot's different AARs on CotA and interestingly, he also speaks about my question. From reading this, it seems that a unit SHOULD do something reasonable, i.e. at least change the formation instead of running full-speed in column formation into the enemy. But then again, I understand that it depends on a number of factors.

One question that comes up in connection therewith is the question, how much information local commanders actually have.
Thinking the core concept of the series further, there should probably also be a concept of information delay and/or deficit: While I, as the theater commander may have received information about an enemy unit from Unit A, which is located in the path of Unit B, Unit B may have not received this information (yet) and could not react. Thinking this further, I actually may not know where my own units are (either because communication is interrupted or because their own assessment of their position is wrong.
I understand that this would be difficult to implement in a meaningful way (and probably very frustrating to play) but interesting nevertheless. I could envision a system where I "send off" my battalions with orders and they would basically "fade out" on a map when I have incomplete information and then refresh from time to time once I receive information. Not sure if this would be fun, though ...

(in reply to Chuck B.)
Post #: 6
RE: Display losses? - 2/21/2012 6:03:44 PM   
wodin

Chuck, for a game with extreme FoW we have Tigers Unleashed, and I can say though I like it 95% will say the extreme FoW ruins gameplay and in the end you have very little control.

Seriously I see alot of people mentioning it but when it's in a game it's unlike anything you've played and you really can't be a control freak. The only time you have control is at the very start when you give initial orders and SoP's after that you have info way to late and by the time or orders is sent (especially if it's by messenger things could have totally changed (without you even knowing about it).

A balance has to be kept with a game like Panthers. Otherwise you'll lose a fair bit of your customer base. Scott TU developer does it as a hobby rather than for making any money so he can do it that way. Panthers game is out to made to make money.

(in reply to Chuck B.)
Post #: 7
RE: Display losses? - 2/22/2012 9:01:52 AM   
Chuck B.

Wodin,

I agree 100% with you - extreme FoW would probably cause extreme frustration on the player side.

Interestingly, I think part of the frustration would actually come from specific "game" elements, such as the limitation of the information you would receive (since there is no real communication going on and we would need some sort of "fuzzy" data that is difficult to present to the player "... we are making good progress in our attack") but I think the biggest problem would stem from the fact that people would constantly questioning the game system, assuming instead of something bad happened because of a turn of events, players might assume that the game system screwed up instead. People might be more willing to accept of all the above in real life than in a game.

I know that I wouldn't have much fun with this and I really like the Panthers games, the more I get into them, the easier it is to understand what's going on (and why) but these is so much still to learn ...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Display losses? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI