From: Lawrence, KS
Here is an idea for a conjectural ship I have been toying with.
Let's say that under the terms of the Washington Treaty, the Japanese had been allowed to retain the "battlecruiser" Kurama as a training vessel. Although classed by the IJN as BCs and armed with 12-inch guns, Kurama and her sister Ibuki were more properly considered large armored cruisers, given that they weren't as fast as the standard BC, being 21-knot ships.
Anyway, let's say that the terms of the WT are slightly different, and the Japanese retain Kurama. Let's say in the mid-30s, they decide to modernize her for use as "second class heavy cruiser." Ideas:
1) Retain but modernize the 12-inch turrets
2) Remove the 8 8-inch secondary gun turrets and replace them with 8 5-inch DP.
3) Remove the tertiary 120-mm battery.
4) Add modern light AA.
5) Use the weight savings from 2 and 3 to bolster deck armor slightly around vulnerable spots
6) Lengthen the ship slightly and install more modern machinery, bolstering speed from 21 knots to 24.
You can't use this ship as a regular heavy cruiser, it isn't fast enough, but it would be good for shore bombardment, convoy escort, and could be fast enough to operate with the older battleships.
Any other ideas?
Fear God and Dread Nought