Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

From the Muese to the Rhine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> From the Muese to the Rhine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
From the Muese to the Rhine - 2/18/2012 6:58:31 PM   
RangerX3X

This will be the first time I am posting a mission after action report on this website as I am actually playing the game. Given the orders delay gravitating from 0-100% within the first three hours, I will accelerate the game to D01 14:01 to collect all day one reinforcements.

This ensemble consists of 13,299 personnel, six armored fighting vehicles, 578 non-armored fighting vehicles, 183 guns and zero bridging capability. This force projects an anti-personnel firepower rating of 9,136, anti-armor of 2,568, bombardment of 639, armor of six, infantry value of 7,318, and an engineer value of 63.

The objectives are plentiful for this mega-scenario, with the primary ones being that of the Nijmegen Highway Bridge and the Arnhem Highway Bridge North, both worth 10 victory points that are awarded through a 50/50 split between occupation and completion. Both of these objectives are active from day one 13:00 through day 10 22:00.

There are three secondary objectives worth seven victory points each that also are awarded through a 50/50 split: Arnhem Highway Bridge South, Arnhem Rail Bridge and Nijmegen Center. After the primary and secondary objectives, there are many additional tertiary objectives which can be important to shore up the overall strategy and help manipulate where the enemy can go.

Unless otherwise noted, all orders are issued with rest set to minimum.

Northern Sector

This area is the responsibility of the 1 Airborne Division and their goal is to secure (along with XXX Corps coming up from the south) a bridgehead over the Neder Rijn to allow the Guards Armored Division to roll through Arnhem on their way to Germany and ultimate victory.

Orders (Issued in this exact sequence)

1 Parachute Brigade

C Trp 1 AL AT Bty (four six pounder AT guns) is to defend facing west in line formation along the main road near Heelsum.
B Trp 1 AL AT Bty (three six pounder AT guns) is to defend facing southwest in line formation just off of the main road near Renkum.
P Trp 1 AL AT Bty (four 17 pounder AT guns) is to defend facing west in line formation just north of Doorwerth.
A Trp 1 AL AT Bty (four six pounder AT guns) is to defend facing northwest in line formation near Groote Heide.
1 Para Bde is to attack the Arnhem Rail Bridge objective (seven victory points) with artillery direct support only and secure crossing selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses (the “assault at” time is setup for D01 17:30).

1 Airlanding Brigade

F Trp 2 AL AT Bty (four 17 pounder AT guns) is to defend facing southeast at the rail line ¼ southeast of supply entry point two with the quickest route option selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses.
D Trp 2 AL AT Bty (four 17 pounder AT guns) is to defend facing northwest at the small clearing along the main road at Planken Wambuis (I do not make this stuff up) with the quickest route option selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses.
1 Airlanding Bde is to attack the Arnhem Highway Bridge North objective (10 victory points) with artillery direct support only selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses. They are to take a covered route to the designated forming-up point at Galgen (the “assault at” time is setup for D01 21:00).

1 Airborne Division

1 Airborne Recce Sqn is to move to an observation point east of Deleen Airfield to monitor traffic along the main road running south into Arnhem with the avoidance route option and bypass selected, along with minimum losses.
1 and 3 Airlanding Light Bty (15 75mm M1A1 pack howitzers) are to defend in the clearing at Helkamp, below the forest screening Deleen Airfield.
HQ Element (headquarters and base unit) combined with Glider Pilot Regt A, B, C and D sqn, along with 1 and 3 Pl 21 Indep Para Coys are to defend at supply entry point two.

Southern Sector

This area is the responsibility of the 82nd Airborne Division and their goal will be to open up the road through Nijmegen to allow XXX Corps driving through from the southwest to reach Arnhem in time to relieve the British airborne units that drop in the Northern Sector, to ultimately enable the Guards Armored Division to push on to Germany itself as a combat-effective fighting force.

Orders (Issued in this exact sequence)

504th Parachute Infantry Regiment

E Coy, 2nd Bn is to defend at the crossroads north of Reek.
1st and 3rd Bn combined with A Coy, 307th AB Eng Bn are to move to a staging area west of Overasselt, approximately one km from the Grave Highway Bridge objective (five victory points).
2nd Bn combined with A Bty 80th Abn AA Bn are to defend 1.5 km west of Heumen facing east.
EDIT: HQ element (headquarters and base unit) is to defend at the Overasselt objective (five victory points).

505th Parachute Infantry Regiment

B Bty 80 Abn AA Bn (seven 57mm M1 AT guns) is to defend at the Mook objective (two victory points) facing south towards the main road in line formation.
1st Bn combined with B Coy, 307th AB Eng Bn are to attack the Mook Rail Bridge objective (five victory points) with artillery direct support only and secure crossing selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses (the “assault at” time is setup for D01 17:30).
2nd Bn is to attack the Groesbeek objective (three victory points) with artillery direct support only selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses.
HQ element (headquarters and base unit) combined with 3rd Bn are to defend at the DZ N objective (three victory points).

508th Parachute Infantry Regiment

1st Bn combined with C Coy, 307th AB Eng Bn are to move to a staging area behind Jonker Bosch with the avoidance route option and bypass selected, along with minimum losses.
B Bty 80 Abn AA Bn (seven 57mm M1 AT guns) is to defend between the roads near Wyler in line formation facing southeast.
2nd Bn is to attack the Kliene Vlierenberg objective (three victory points).
3rd Bn is to attack the Berg en Dal objective (two victory points).
HQ element (headquarters and base unit) is to move to an area in-between these objectives.

82nd Airborne Division

F Bty 80 Abn AA Bn (seven 50cal M2HB heavy machine guns) is ordered to defend southeast of Popenberg in line formation with a clear line of sight towards St. Jansberg (this should delay the enemy flowing between the Mook and DZ N objectives).
Recon Platoon (a mixed bag of motorcycles and trucks) is ordered to move to the clearing off the main road between Malden and Molenhoek with the shortest route option selected (this is in an effort to scout out a path that the 376th Para Fd Arty Bn can take in their move west in effort to support the upcoming attack on the Grave Highway Bridge objective).
D Bty 80 Abn AA Bn (seven 50cal M2HB heavy machine guns) is ordered to defend at the crossroads south of Knapheide in line formation with a clear line of sight towards the track that runs the perimeter of the Reichs Wald (this should cause some grief for the enemy traversing that path).
376th Para Fd Arty Bn (11 75mm pack howitzers) is to move near the Recon Platoon but via a path between Lungeberg and Wolfsberg with the shortest route option selected and no rest (this is the only true artillery I have at the moment in this sector and it will be needed to take several crossings).
HQ Element (headquarters and base unit) combined with E Bty 80 Abn AA Bn (seven 57mm M1 AT guns) are ordered to defend in the wood line northwest of the DZ (situated on the track below Hill 77.8) facing southeast (this is a direct take from the original Highway to the Reich tutorial manual).

The final order for the day one forces is to issue a move waypoint for the I Airborne Corps HQ unit that landed with the 82nd Airborne Division in the southern sector. They will setup alongside the 82nd HQ Element in the wood line northwest of the DZ.

Day One 18:00

Northern Sector

The various units are moving towards their objectives and are making good progress so far.

Southern Sector

376th Para Fd Arty Bn is ordered to bombard the Mook Rail Bridge objective in preparation for the assault phase of the attack launched by 1 Bn 505 PIR. This artillery strike is scheduled to commence at 18:30.

1 Bn 504 PIR combined with A Coy, 307th AB Eng Bn are ordered to attack the Grave Highway Bridge objective with artillery direct support only and secure crossing selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses (the “assault at” time is setup for D01 21:00).

Day Two 00:00

Northern Sector

Artillery fire missions continue suppression action against the entrenched Axis forces guarding the Arnhem Rail Bridge objective as 1 Para Bde advance forces swarm the area.

Leading elements of 1 Airlanding Bde have infiltrated Arnhem, and for a brief time from 22:17-22:52 actually seized the Arnhem Highway Bridge North objective.

Southern Sector

The Mook Rail Bridge was successfully unprimed given the assault and artillery package employed, and has changed hands several times throughout the late evening but should be secured in short order.

The Grave Highway Bridge was successfully unprimed given the same methodology (a Bn supported by artillery and an Engineer Coy usually does the trick if you stay on top of things) and also should be secured soon.

Additional Orders

376th Para Fd Arty Bn having completed its intended mission and survived is ordered to move into the concealment of the wooded area behind its current position.

Recon Pl 82 AB Div is ordered to perform a reconnaissance sweep north and to the east in an approach towards the Berg en Dal objective to collect fresh intelligence on the enemy forces flooding into this sector from the north.

3 Bn 504 PIR is ordered to attack the EDIT: Grave objective with artillery direct support only selected, along with maximum aggression, rate of fire and losses (the “assault at” time is setup for D02 02:00).

2 Bn 504 PIR and 1 Bn 508 PIR continues to be held in reserve at their assigned staging areas as an ace up my sleeve of sorts.

At this point I release all artillery assets to be on call, although I maintain direct control over them through the fire support tab.

EDIT: Corrections made to account for a missing order and an incorrect objective location.

To be continued…

< Message edited by RangerX3X -- 2/19/2012 4:43:35 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: From the Muese to the Rhine - 2/19/2012 11:00:09 AM   
nicwb

Thanks Ranger - I'm enjoying reading this.

Hope you continue soon.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 2
RE: From the Muese to the Rhine - 2/19/2012 4:58:55 PM   
RangerX3X

Day Two 06:00

Northern Sector

The Arnhem Rail Bridge was successfully unprimed given the assault and artillery package employed and the objective was secured at 04:34.

Southern Sector

The orders given to the 376th and the Recon Platoon were all well and good if they were to have been set with the no rest option selected. They were left with rest at minimum which means they did not start moving out towards their tasks until 04:29 and after being engaged by an enemy motorized infantry company. The result was the artillery battery losing two of its 75mm pack howitzers and the reconnaissance unit losing several personnel just trying to get out of the starting blocks.

The supply base for the 508 PIR was left hanging out in the wind at the DZ T objective by the AI subordinate commander who was ordered to move to an area between the Kliene Vlierenberg and Berg en Dal objectives. The result there was the base being overwhelmed by a mechanized infantry and a light flak company.

Additional Orders

508 Para Inf Regt Base is ordered to reorganize at the Kliene Vlierenberg objective currently being contested by the 2 Bn 508 PIR. Once they make it there, I will reattach them to the 508 Para Inf Regt HQ.

Day Two 12:00

Northern Sector

The 1 Para Bde continues to hold the Arnhem Rail Bridge and begin to consolidate the entire force on the objective.

Southern Sector

The Grave Highway Bridge and Grave objectives are being covered on the left flank by E Coy, 2nd Bn 504 PIR who is engaged with intelligence suggesting a battalion sized force moving across the bridge on the extreme left edge of the battle space near Ravenstein.

Additional Orders

Needing to protect this entrance area as much as possible for the armor reinforcements coming from the south on day three, I decide to commit one of my reserve components, 2 Bn 504 PIR (the parent battalion to E Coy) to attack west with artillery direct support only selected along with the shortest route option. This will bring the 2 Bn together for the first time since the start of the scenario.

Day Two 14:30

Southern Sector

Additional Orders

319 Glider Fd Arty Bn (11 75mm pack howitzers) is to move to a concealed wooded area with the shortest route option selected.
320 Glider Fd Arty Bn (12 105mm pack howitzers) is to move to a concealed wooded area with the shortest route option selected.
456 Glider Fd Arty Bn (11 75mm pack howitzers) is to move to a concealed wooded area with the shortest route option selected.

Day Two 15:30

Northern Sector

Additional Orders

4 Para Bde arrives in a staggered drop, and as each element lands (HQ Element, 11th Para Bn, 10 Para Bn and 156 Para Bn) I issued individual move orders to a concealed wooded area just behind the reserve element of 1 Airlanding Bde with the shortest route option selected. This is in an effort to minimize the overall impact of force delay (but only time will tell).

Additional units arriving through 16:30 are all attached to their organic superior with the exception of 2 Airlanding Light Bty (seven 75mm pack howitzers) who are ordered to the primary artillery fire base setup below Deleen Airfield.

Day Two 18:00

Northern Sector

4 Para Bde is making good progress in their trek to the staging area behind 1 Airlanding Bde reserve element, although some companies from 156 Para Bn are being engaged in their exit from the drop zone and are lagging far behind.

Southern Sector

2 Bn 504 PIR is heavily engaged on the left flank of DZ E by the Grave objective by several companies of motorized infantry so the gambit to move them to support their child E Coy seems to be paying off at the moment albeit it left the entire road running parallel to the MAAS River from the Overasselt to the Heumen Road Bridge objective wide open with on the HQ Element of the 504 PIR defending the area.

The 82 Airborne Div Base continues to be dangerously exposed in the clearing between DZ N and DZ T however this is where the AI subordinate commander chose to place them when I issued the order for them to defend in the wood line DZ N. I am hesitant to move this unit as they have not been overwhelmed (yet).

3 Bn 508 PIR at Berg en Dal, 2 Bn 508 PIR at Kliene Vlierenberg and 2 Bn 505 PIR at Groesbeek has all put up a valiant but losing fight to seize and secure those objectives. If anything this has served to distract the Axis AI commander as 1 Bn 508 PIR has sat outside the Sports Stadium screened by the woods of Jonker Bosch without losing a single soldier since they arrived.

If employed at the right time and under the murderous barrage of fire from the three 75mm and one 105mm batteries I will have under my direct control, this should serve up a nasty surprise for the Germans at the Honinghutje Bridge objective.

To be continued…

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> From the Muese to the Rhine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI