Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Coffee Table Wingen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Coffee Table Wingen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coffee Table Wingen - 2/18/2012 4:00:10 PM   
sweeteye

Do not know what category to put this thread in and the war room seems like a good place..Here are some screens of my table top version of Wingen-sur-Moder...Hand painted poster board map and counters..Dice game...Using the mini Wingen scenario for a prototype to work out the game system..Have to go over the map a little more.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/24/2012 11:13:13 PM >

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Post #: 1
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/18/2012 8:20:15 PM   
pcelt

Greetings Sweeteye---good to see you are still gainfully employed in the wargame genre.
I used to play the earliest board and cardboard cut out counters war games---DDay, Afrika Korps, Battle of The Bulge etc--loved all the early games but found to my cost that trying to protect overnight a half completed board game did not mix well with an inquisitive and agile cat who liked nothing better than flicking unit cards from their mapboard hilltop strongpoint with their doubled defensive point count onto the living room floor and totally wrecking my carefully constructed defensive line---but excellent and enjoyable early wargaming experiences. I recall (still with an aching heart) thatI once would have thrown back the whole of the Allied invasion force from their Brittany landings if my opponent had not thrown a lucky double six and survived on the beach......life can be so cruel and unkind.
Anyway I trust when your cat has destroyed your Wingen tabletop defenses and you have sobbed uncontrollably into your cheap wine for a while ,you will return to give us a few more HTTR scenarios for the catproof computer.
All best wishes

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 2
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/18/2012 9:51:17 PM   
sweeteye

Yes I can recall times when a really good game was destroyed by a cat..or even a good bump of the table...Eventually I may put together some new scenarios for BftB.I need to finish going over the ones I have made and upload them again..There is also a lot of things that could be done to make my existing scenarios better.....Probably not a whole lot of interest in the board style war games nowadays but I think I will work on the project anyways....I like this little scenario because it should only take a few hours to finish...

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/19/2012 2:02:11 AM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 3
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/19/2012 11:10:58 PM   
sweeteye

Went over the map, counters, and game mechanics.Starting a test play....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/19/2012 11:13:27 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 4
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/20/2012 1:24:43 AM   
sweeteye

The U.S.assault on Hochberg and D'Hutt begins.

I guess you should get the idea by now..

Start of turn 12..Have captured Hochberg..After being repulsed several times.SS Mountain units are tough to root out of the buildings......Taking longer than I thought to play out the scenario...probably go 40 turns...trying to keep the system simple....no record keeping on paper....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/20/2012 4:36:30 AM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 5
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/20/2012 11:30:03 AM   
pcelt

Sweeteye --What system are you using re combat results.In the early days results involved advance or retreat , engaged or eliminated. I rememnber the first game I bought which gave various "losses " in combat power rather than a blunt and crude "strength as was" or eliminated-- I think it was Guadacanal. The problem of course was how to record the state of units with strength factor losses. At first you had to record on paper but this was very difficult to keep a check on and all on-board counters still looked the same. I remember all sorts of personal attempts like turning the counter a quarter-turn clockwise further for each combat loss--but this was always very problematic and uncertain. Until eventually some games began to produce "reduced combat counters" in steps to replace the original full strength counters---which meant having to sort lots of counters --but solved the thorny problem and made the effects of combat far less crude.
Just wondered how you were tackling this issue.
Cheers

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 6
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/20/2012 2:28:44 PM   
sweeteye

hello pcelt....lets see ...Do not want to give away too much of my system just yet...Though my system is not completely original I have tried to make it somewhat unique..Units of course do have firing ranges...Basically I have forced retreats, eliminations,exchanges, and advances...disorganization and morale\experience..also a close combat segment..There are die roll modifiers but I am trying to keep this aspect to a minimum as well...Units are reduced in steps by flipping the counters over and having a reduced combat value.Simplicity and ease of game play are what I am striving for..Though much more detail can be worked in with keeping records I really never enjoyed doing that...Want the counters to work for themselves...let the dice handle the details..The game is played using just two small charts for combat resolution...

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/20/2012 3:10:14 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 7
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/20/2012 5:28:36 PM   
pcelt

Fully agree with your priorities---playability and pleasure with as much sophistication in combat resolution which does not destroy these first aims

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 8
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/20/2012 6:26:12 PM   
sweeteye

After playing through part of this scenario I can see I have the system pretty much done....just some fine tuning....Really want to concentrate on the map and counter artwork.....

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/20/2012 6:28:55 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 9
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/21/2012 3:41:52 PM   
sweeteye

Turn 30...Managed to move the Americans into East D'Hutt.Close to securing the objective although casualties are mounting..German right flank is disorganized but is starting to recover...Americans have lost four units to the Germans two and have four reduced units to the Germans one on the mapboard..Germans have nearly a two to one advantage in points as it stands...

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/24/2012 11:05:39 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 10
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/22/2012 9:23:44 PM   
sweeteye

Spent this day setting up a little website for all the missions,maps,and scenarios I have made for various titles over the last several years..going to gather everything up into one place...

http://683605230857629878.weebly.com/#/

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/24/2012 11:05:02 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 11
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/28/2012 7:35:48 PM   
nate25

Very nice Sweeteye.

Don't worry about the 'net too much, there's not much you can do about it.

You're using it for good, your conscience is clear.

I would hate to see the flow of goodies you create slow down. Great stuff!

Thanks,
Nate

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 12
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 2/28/2012 8:41:00 PM   
sweeteye

thanks ... I get ticked off about the net.... makes me see red..your right ..not much one person can do about it..... trying to get the artwork as nice as possible......would like to get it finished and make it available..Debating on whether or not to make the first small game free...just postage and handling charges.(actually just postage).Of course would have to really limit the number of games for free....Advertising is an obstacle...leads me back to thinking about some of the problems on the net......I am even just a little bit uncomfortable about trying to promote it on this forum without authorization.....even though it is related...

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 2/28/2012 9:19:15 PM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 13
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 3/1/2012 3:32:17 AM   
sweeteye

Guess there will not be too much interest in an old fashioned board game....Can do so much more on a computer....Just have to do this for my own enjoyment I suppose....Feelin' kind of anti PC lately ...so many hassles with them and too many security problems etc.

< Message edited by sweeteye -- 3/10/2012 6:34:53 AM >

Headquarters Company

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 14
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 4/6/2012 2:13:09 AM   
gunjunkie

I wouldn't say there is no interest. I will say its a very niche thing these days but I and a few friends still buy all the board games we can and try to play them. Sure, we can get very accurate sims on a PC, but there is something to be said for the social aspect of standing around a table and moving bits of cardboard/metal around and rolling die.

I do have some suggestions. Make it playable in 4 hours max. Most of us don't have the ability to commit more than that these days and multi-day affairs are limited to those with time/cat free spaces. Ideally no record keeping other than with additional counters. AH had a series of mini games back in the day. I forget what it was called but Little Round Top was one. Battles were smaller in scope and could be done in an afternoon. Box was smaller too. Think along those lines and I think you could move some at least. I'd certainly be interested.

(in reply to sweeteye)
Post #: 15
RE: Coffee Table Wingen - 4/9/2012 10:01:47 PM   
sweeteye

Thanks for responding gunjunkie....I have kind of put the project on hold for a short while....Good to see someone is interested in the board type games...Gives me some enthusiasm to finish the project out....

Headquarters Company

(in reply to gunjunkie)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> The War Room >> Coffee Table Wingen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI