Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" - 2/16/2012 1:55:58 AM   
pcelt

I am not totally sure about the implications of leaving on the default "direct support only" command. I have assumed that this means that that the battalion mortar will only fire in support of its own battalion and not support any other units--whereas if that command is "off" it will support any units within its range.
Is this a correct interpretation?
What then is the situation if you have to split up the battalion in a defensive situation so certain units are detached from battalion command. If in range of the mortar are all these units still prioritised for support by that mortar if "direct support only" is still the selected order.
Clarification would be much appreciated as I cannot seem to find such clarification in the manual re this specific issue.
Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" - 2/16/2012 4:44:59 AM   
Arjuna

This is a task option and therefore means that any assigned bombard capable units will only support units assigned to this task, regardless of their organic status. Eg you have a defend task with a ForceGroup comprising 1st Inf Bn, B.1 Inf Coy, C.1 Inf Coy, Mor Pl 1 Bn and A.Tank Coy ( attached from the 1st Tank Bn ). Note A.1 Inf Coy is detached and therefore not assigned. So the Bn Mortars can support every unit assigned to the task force group including the attached tank coy. It cannot support the detached A.1 Inf Coy.

Does that help clarify it?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 2
RE: A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" - 2/16/2012 9:28:03 AM   
pcelt

Thanks Arijuna----certainly does---wont be losing any more Market Garden battles now.........

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" - 2/16/2012 10:00:31 AM   
jomni

Still not clear for me.

Please give situation on when to use and when not to use. I don't touch this at the moment.

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 4
RE: A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" - 2/16/2012 11:46:00 AM   
pcelt

I will attempt to convey what I think I now understand but hope someone else will intervene if I have not properly understood.

a)If you click on the "direct fire only" button when you have set up a task for your battalion HQ --your mortar unit will concentrate all its fire in support of all its battalion units attached and involved in the current task---but not in support of units from other battalions (including units detached from your own organic battalion and thus not involved in the current battalion task.)

b)If you leave unclicked the "direct fire support" button you are telling your battalion mortar not to focus only on supporting its own battalion but to support any friendly units in range.

I assume I will normally use the"direct fire " only button as a norm --but switch it off for general support if my battalion is not being attacked but other nearby units are in trouble and need assistance.

This is my reading of the sitn after Arijunas response to my earlier cri-de-coeur----but it is easily possible that I have misinterpreted the "clarification" and would request interventions by any more experienced member
Thanks

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> A Query re Battalion mortar "direct support" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI