Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Quick Sov Tactics or "Steppe Dancing"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Quick Sov Tactics or "Steppe Dancing" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Quick Sov Tactics or "Steppe Dancing" - 2/16/2012 12:48:01 AM   
Farfarer

I have settled into a hybrid Sov strategy with aggressive, but prudent 1941 attacking by a few armies using Tank Divs and the Cossacks with good leaders who later will be assigned to Fronts, but not now. While the ants are off doing speed bumps, fort lines, ZOC swamps, the Attackers strive only to unbalance the Axis drive, inevitably in the South.
The lure of the Don Bas and AGS split is strong. Some Axis players will bypass the Crimea if your Steppe Dancing ( that's now patented BTW) is delaying them too much. You then have an ulcer in their side. You can always bug out by sea.

The cost of delaying the Axis in say 2 of 17 turns can be annoying to the axis effort. Occasionally, you can get a bonus "rout due to no retreat path".
Good Axis players take operatinal pauses on their own terms, one taken on your terms is unwlecome, especially if it isn't really a pause.

If your Axis opponent is simply too good, just make sure 1 point of every factory is sent to the Far East as your dire emergency plan.

Generally, your Cav won't get surrounded and be lost to you for the Blizzard. BTW, Blizzard does not equal "Banzai".

Little things add up, like an aggressive "rally plan" using all those Corps HQs to get your ants back in the game even if they are next to useless. They are more useless Routed.

HQ Relocation - if you are isolated and doomed, relocate the HQ on your turn, particularly if a Front or important Army. The leader may die or not, but you can guide the relocation location by covering the closest (useless or dangerous towns) with 3 units. Now YOU can plan your comeback on your own terms.

When you get to 1943, you will rue every lost truck, so never let your Motorized divisions get captured. Always rally them, and always get them to safety. There is no higher AP priority ( other than that Fort on the port of Leningrad and stuffing it with AA so Feld Marschall Pelton can't bomb it closed :)
Post #: 1
Islands are Evil - 2/16/2012 1:20:45 AM   
Farfarer

1941, every diverted Axis division is a little victory.

The Baltic islands have ports, you can put airbases in them, VVS is best, and supply partisans deep in the rear even with crap early war planes. Those "FBD-created one rail line wonders" are vulnerable, for some reason in particular that one hex dip south of the baltic rail zone that most axis players use. (As axis, I leave a regiment there having been burnt too many times - may be a partisan-attack-choice-code-thing). Dig in on the crossing points. Pull the aircraft out and relocate the base when the jig is up.

(in reply to Farfarer)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Quick Sov Tactics or "Steppe Dancing" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI